DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

My 2 year old has a little car thing that he can ride around on, using his feet for propulsion.  While I was feeding the dogs and cats tonight, I looked over and saw he had carried the thing up to the top of the little plastic slide we have in the living room, sat down on it, and was fixing to ride it down the slide.  It's fun living with a child with no fear and a ridiculous pain tolerance.  

I tried to explain to him that his giant Bob Ross hairstyle isn't really effective as a crash helmet, but I don't think he got it.

• Like 2

Well, my kid's team beat the crap out of the other unit in soccer on Monday and my daughter had two assists. 

She's still a really good defender and her passing is improving. 

We've got a game against crosstown rivals, Roth Middle this afternoon and I will be there cheering on the team and trying not to succumb to my allergies.

I think I used a gallon of Visene before I went to bed on Monday night. 

• Like 3

THE LADY FALCONS WON TWO TO NIL~!

It was a rough game; lots and lots of back & forth.

My kid didn't score any goals but she played some pretty ironclad defense. 

It's pretty awesome that all of the parents congratulated all of the girls on the field.  I know you don't want to celebrate mediocrity, but the sting of defeat doesn't always have to come with degradation.

A little friendly needling never hurt anybody, though.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2017 at 0:59 PM, Marty Sugar said:

My oldest turns 13 on Sunday; I've got a big wrestling weekend so we had a party on Thursday...and she lit me on FIRE!

18010985_10154344611666976_9132589095702

He's hardcore! He's hardcore! He's hardcore!

Our c-section is scheduled for May 10th. I'm stoked that I get 10 days of paid paternity leave. Also taking an extra 5 days of vacation to stay home since my wife is going to be on bed rest and will need me to help shuttle her kids to and from stuff.

• Like 1

So now I'm officially in the DAD Zone. Jack Axl was born on May 8th at 2:37am. Just like the guy whose name we used for his middle name, he chose to make his appearance on his time. However, he was early instead of 3 hours late, didn't curse out the crowd and incite a riot.

• Like 17

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, cwoy2j said:

So now I'm officially in the DAD Zone. Jack Axl was born on May 8th at 2:37am. Just like the guy whose name we used for his middle name, he chose to make his appearance on his time. However, he was early instead of 3 hours late, didn't curse out the crowd and incite a riot.

I admire Jack Axl's spirit of adventure. 

There is something out there.  GO AND FIND IT~! (paraphrased from Rudyard Kipling.)

“It is the hardest thing in the world to frighten a mongoose, because he is eaten up from nose to tail with curiosity. The motto of all the mongoose family is “Run and find out,” and Rikki-tikki was a true mongoose.”  

On that note, one of the best things a father can do for their 8 year old child is read Rikki-Tikki-Tavi to them one night before bedtime. 

• Like 1

I'm tired as fuck already.

First born due in September, dad diagnosed recently as having 9 months to live with renal failure (on the other side of the world), whilst trying to organize buying first home (lease on rental up in August, tenants in property we bought have lease till October) around work who seem pretty happy to find an excuse to get rid of me.

Wife came home in tears on Saturday afternoon. Freaked out wondering what was going on....

"THE MAN AT ZAMBRERO WAS REALLY MEAN TO ME AND CHARGED ME EXTRA FOR JALAPENOS AND ITS YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T FUCKING THERE".

This really wasn't the wisest choices of to be drinking less over the next few months....

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 1:17 AM, RolandTHTG said:

I'm tired as fuck already.

First born due in September, dad diagnosed recently as having 9 months to live with renal failure (on the other side of the world), whilst trying to organize buying first home (lease on rental up in August, tenants in property we bought have lease till October) around work who seem pretty happy to find an excuse to get rid of me.

Wife came home in tears on Saturday afternoon. Freaked out wondering what was going on....

"THE MAN AT ZAMBRERO WAS REALLY MEAN TO ME AND CHARGED ME EXTRA FOR JALAPENOS AND ITS YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T FUCKING THERE".

This really wasn't the wisest choices of to be drinking less over the next few months....

That sucks bro. I'll have one for ya! Hope your dad is doing well.

• Like 1

So - question - wife wants me to politely ask/inform anyone that would be wanting to see the baby that they would need to have measles vaccination up to date/done in last 3 years before being allowed to do so.

I'm not going to argue with someone six months pregnant. On the other hand, is this normal? It doesn't seem like it, and seems the polar opposite/just as bad as the anti-vaxxers. And it'll just annoy me when I ask family who will blatantly lie to me that they've had it done. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Nothing is as bad as the anti-vaxxers.

I respect their parental authority to not have their kids vaccinated so long as they respect my parental decision to protect my own child by doing all I can to keep their unvaccinated children out of private and public schools.

Let's face it.  Schools and playgrounds are fucking petri dishes and vaccination is a matter of public health, not personal choice.. 

Take your kid to get their fucking shots so they don't give my daughter rubella or fucking home school your child.

• Like 6

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, RolandTHTG said:

So - question - wife wants me to politely ask/inform anyone that would be wanting to see the baby that they would need to have measles vaccination up to date/done in last 3 years before being allowed to do so.

Let me guess, it's her first child and she saw that fucking whooping cough commercial on television.

It's perfectly normal for a parent to nest like that, especially if this is your first child.  Let her do her mothering thing.

Also, the family should be supportive and do as she asks.  There is no harm in going along with her request and checking your shot records and there will be plenty of harm if someone is lying about not being up to date with their vaccinations. 

One of your relatives could be a carrier and not even know it and and there will be hell to pay if they end up getting the kid sick.

My girlfriend's daughter was the same way when the first grandkid was born.  The micromanaging and angsting on her part actually produced positive results for me as I had no idea I was due for a Shingles vaccination and (ugh) also needed a whooping cough shot..  If I stay healthy, I help the baby stay healthy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Flew in from TDY at Camp Atterbury just in time to take a shower, change clothes, and bounce to my daughter's Moving Up ceremony. 

As of Noon today, I will officially be the father of a rising Freshman in High School.

Nearly got into it with my mom (who is a bit of a traditionalist) yesterday.  She was slightly annoyed that I showed up to a ceremony in a church dressed in Old Navy painter jeans and a purple polo shirt.

I have been there for the soccer games and fund raisers and Model UNs and Specialty School Open Houses and damn near everything else and on some of those occasions, I was the only one there in physical support of my daughter while grandparents were elsewhere..

God is wise and benevolent and awesome, so I am fairly certain He won't begrudge a divorced father this once for showing up dressed in denim to an event held in a church on a week day.

• Like 3

Happy belated Father's Day to all of the DVDVR dads out there holding it down.

My beloved significant other and my daughter took me to Irina's Crepe Café in Glen Burnie, MD for a fucking awesome brunch.

I also scored on a brand new Marvel graphic tee and earned a couple hours of uninterrupted game time.

Hope your Father's Day was as free of ugly ties as mine was.

• Like 5

Since it's gonna be 100+ from her till late September, and nobody wants to be stuck in a room with dozen 2 year olds all day, my son's daycare is having water days.  Half the time it's just sprinklers, water tables, etc.  The other half they have a slip n slide, or at least that's what they call it.  I was expecting the yellow plastic things that we had as kids.  I was badly mistaken.  They got some giant, inflatable bouncy house type thing.  it's easily 40 feet long, 20 wide and a dozen tall, with two lanes for em to go down.  

I'm already warming up my bullshit tales of how much better he has it than I did as a kid.

I'll admit I was surprised when they said slip n slide.  I remember the joys of hitting rocks on those, as well as the horror stories about people breaking their necks.  Wasn't expecting a miniature water park, though.

Fortunately, his daycare doesn't go completely overboard on safety stuff.  No helmets on the tricycles, at least.  He came home with a busted lip Wednesday after getting his feet tangled on one and going over the side facefirst.

Wonder how many things I did as a kid would get parents arrested today.  Driving a ski boat by myself at 12, pulling a skier who was also 12 comes to mind.

16 minutes ago, offspring515 said:

So anyone else with toddlers hate fucking "Ryan Toy's Review More Fuuuun!!!" As much as I do?

Just make your kid watch old episodes of Ducktales and Gummi Bears instead like I do?

• Like 1