DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

On 4/12/2021 at 3:35 PM, Log said:

Both of my kids (10 and 4) got waaaay into Gabba.  My wife and I still sing songs from that show all the time.  My daughter got to see them live when they were still doing that.  We even got to see a live Biz's Beat of the Day!

I saw Kid Koala opening for Deltron a few years back and the loudest the crowd got the whole night was when he played a Yo Gabba Gabba song.  Just went absolutely bugfuck nuts for it.

• Haha 1

I'm coaching my son's T-ball team this year.  First time coaching.  It's been interesting. 

We already had two kids out due to Covid before our first game.  Our second game was cancelled because the other team was quarantined after they had a kid come to their first game with the virus.  Yesterday we got an email saying we're going to umpire the games ourselves since most of the umpires have it.

The kids themselves are an interesting mix.  There are four or five who are pretty good, a few that at least seem to realize they're on a baseball field, one that hasn't shown up the last four games and two that do show up but don't seem to realize there's a game going on.  The one that would easily be our best player spends most of his time sulking.  We're supposed to play every kid at every position at least once.  Fortunately I've managed that already, since there's at least two I don't feel safe putting at first base again.  A couple of the kids throw hard enough to hurt somebody, and I'd just as soon not watch a five year old's nose get splattered because he wasn't even looking at the kid throwing to him.

Opposing coaches tend to drive me nuts.  Half of them seem to not to realize this is freaking T-ball.  This ain't meant to be taken that seriously.  I did the select team/high level high school stuff when I was growing up.  There's a time for that stuff, but T-ball ain't it.  Let em have fun.  It's fun to read behind the lines of the emails from the commissioner to figure out what some fool did last time out.  He told me they have to permanently kick out a coach about every other year, and that it almost always happens in T-ball.  People are weird.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This deserves to be in the Dad thread, too.   My daughter found out on Wednesday that she is the valedictorian of the Senior class of her high school.

To say that I am a proud father would be an understatement.

I am now consumed with the obsession of buying a completely badass suit to wear to commencement.  I am proud of her and i want her to be proud of me, so I have to look 100% pimp for the graduation photos.

• Like 7

Hail To Princess Sandra Violet, of Clan Harris, descended from the line of Levi!
On this day she has completed 3 cycles and looks to reign for many more!

195472806_10158206960737951_800993974122

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm guessing sleepwalking?  My daughter did this regularly when she was little.  I don't know if this was the right approach, but I'd always let her talk for however long it took(usually less than 5 minutes) and then say "Ok baby, let's go back to bed."  Most of the time she'd just turn right around and head to her room on her own, a few times I had to carry her back.  But she'd get in bed, get her bunny she slept with, and go right back to sleep.  She'll be 13 in a couple of months and there really hadn't been any issues for a couple of years now.  Until last week.  She came out to the living room about 12:30 in the morning saying she was mad because she needed to reset her alarm clock.  I had her sit down and finish telling me what the problem was and told her I thought it would be ok.  Normally she remembers nothing about these episodes, but the next day I started to ask her about it and she immediately said "Did I come out to the living room last night?  Talking about my alarm clock?"  She actually remembered most of the conversation.  Hopefully what your child goes through will be a similar experience.  The only real fear we ever had was stairs.  Our daughter started sleepwalking at around age 2, when we still lived in a townhouse style apartment with the bedrooms upstairs.  We put a baby gate at the top of the stairs as a precaution(which damn near killed me a couple of times nearly tripping over it) and luckily never had any accidents.  This is a girl who is clumsy by nature and takes poor angles when walking and might bump into a door frame, corner of a countertop, a chair etc, but she always navigated walking in the dark without any issues when sleepwalking.

Maybe it will be an isolated incident, it always seemed to happen most often if our daughter was over tired, so maybe be on a bit of alert on nights where you feel your kid is more tired than normal?  I hope everything works out fine.  If your experience works out anything like ours, you'll be able to laugh about some of the goofy things your child says, like the time my daughter came out and proclaimed "I'm here to help with the cows!".

Edit: Now I realize I totally misread " bluuuhhhipoiajpoijhpgoiewrsdfjdnsbnwssdjpgweirupoyiwpjhwe" as gibberish, not puking.  My bad, carry on.

Edited by gatling

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Setting:  My house, 11:40 Tuesday night.

Mom:  Hey, why are you up?

Child:  I think I'm gonna be bluuuhhhipoiajpoijhpgoiewrsdfjdnsbnwssdjpgweirupoyiwpjhwe

Not good times

LOOOOL this reminds me of my daughter's first real illness.  I remember it was a Saturday in January 2017, so she'd have been almost 2.  I'd just fed her and I was holding her.  She was facing me and the conversation went like this:

Me: What's wrong, baby?  You're a little droopy today.

Her: bluuuhhhipoiajpoijhpgoiewrsdfjdnsbnwssdjpgweirupoyiwpjhwe (right on me)

• Haha 1

Since we're telling upchuck stories.

I've only seen my kid puke twice.  Once in the back of my truck when she was about five or six or so (I actually carried her over my shoulder into a McDonald's bathroom while she was projectile vomiting, raving like a madman the entire way.  Not fun), and again when she was about twelve and had a really horrible bout of food poisoning after eating bad corn with her school lunch.

Me:  Hey, kiddo.  Are you okay?

Her: blualapkldfjugasldfgsalkfjgdsjfkaslgsdfd.  I'm tired, Dad.  I think I'll just brush my teeth, take a shower, and go to bed.

Poor thing slept for about 12 hours, but she felt better when she got up.. and she was ravenous.  I got us some lunch and she ate an entire large cheese pizza by herself.

It took me many days and three bottles of Febreeze to get the cruddy corn smell out of my apartment.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 11:10 AM, Robert C said:

Setting:  My house, 11:40 Tuesday night.

Mom:  Hey, why are you up?

Child:  I think I'm gonna be bluuuhhhipoiajpoijhpgoiewrsdfjdnsbnwssdjpgweirupoyiwpjhwe

Not good times

Little turd have it to me.  Guess it’s my turn to sit on the couch and watch Scooby Doo all day Friday.  

Think the last time I puked was New Years Day 1997, when a friend decided she’d get me drunk on New Year’s Eve and see what came of it. We’ve been married twenty three years, so I guess it worked out. 

Pukin definitely ain’t any more fun at fifty than it was at twenty five. 

• Like 1

My little guy (4) got sick a couple weeks ago.  He threw up in bed once, but then made it to the toilet for the other times.  It was in the middle of the night and the poor guy kept saying, "I just want this to be over.  When will it be tomorrow?"

But then for about two weeks he tried to use his sickness to get out of eating anything he didn't want to eat.  "Oh, my belly is still sick", said after eating his weight in mini-muffins earlier that morning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Woke up on Sunday hurting all over. Figured it was phantom pains,I get them sometimes. Was gonna eat breakfast and go back to bed. Then my oldest son called me "Hey I'm gonna drive up to see you." So put on a brave face and hung out with him for a few hours.

We got an odd relationship. I didn't know him until he was 5. And we are more big brother/little brother than father and son. But it was nice to see him. Shocks me here he is almost 31 and got everything worked out. When I was 31 I had just started getting my life together. He has a career,a nice home and seems to be very happy.

Bonus he brought me and my father some snacks we can't get up here.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Bonus he brought me and my father some snacks we can't get up here.

I have carved out a nice niche for myself heading down to the Carolina border once a month and bringing back as much Squirt, SunDrop, and Cheerwine that I can carry.   People here at work pay a nice penny for out of state beverages.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have carved out a nice niche for myself heading down to the Carolina border once a month and bringing back as much Squirt, SunDrop, and Cheerwine that I can carry.   People here at work pay a nice penny for out of state beverages.

See Squirt and Sundrop I can find locally. I haven't seen Cheerwine since I left SC.

He brought us the flavors of Zapps chips we can't find up here. All I ever see locally are the Voodoo and jalapeno flavors. Last bag of jalapeno I bought was so hot no one could eat them.

• Like 2

I used to work with this reporter who is just the best guy.  He NEVER ate dinner out.  Always brought a sandwich and a protein bar.  One day, we have an assignment in Cincinnati.  He never asks to stop anywhere.  He asks if I can run by a Kroger.  No problem.  He goes in and comes out with like 15 cases of diet cherry 7 Up.  I had never heard of it.  He was obviously a big fan.

Also, my brother in law who lives in the Indianapolis area always grabs a ton of Grippos chips when he visits us here in Louisville.  

Man, I love regional snacks.

23 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

See Squirt and Sundrop I can find locally. I haven't seen Cheerwine since I left SC.

He brought us the flavors of Zapps chips we can't find up here. All I ever see locally are the Voodoo and jalapeno flavors. Last bag of jalapeno I bought was so hot no one could eat them.

I had never had Zapps but our Kroger randomly had the Voodoo on sale.  Good stuff, but eating the entire bag was a poor choice.

On 6/22/2021 at 12:07 PM, Zimbra said:

I had never had Zapps but our Kroger randomly had the Voodoo on sale.  Good stuff, but eating the entire bag was a poor choice.

Yea a few handfuls are more than enough. If you can find them the Crunchy Crawtators flavor is really good.

The Ordeal at 3 A.M.

Sandra Violet is 3 now and she continues to grow like a weed and eat us out of house and home. She also is keeping irregular hours, as Janice and I have been spending many a night up past midnight before Sandra nods off. I was lucky on Tuesday night, as Sandra Violet fell asleep around 10 P.M. after having given her melatonin at 9 P.M.  I took her to her bed and covered her with her favorite blankies and went to finish the TJPW we had started watching together before going to bed at 11:30 P.M.

3 A.M. hits, Janice was working 3rd shift so it was just me in bed. It isn't uncommon on nights like that for Sandra Violet to crawl out of her bed and into ours for snuggle and sleep. This is what happened except she asked for some water as well. hen she does this I know she isn't falling asleep for a bit and wants to be out front to play on her tablet until she can nod off. This is where things got... complicated.

Sandra Violet'  Kindle Fire had somehow gotten on the adult profile and it wouldn't let me switch it back to her profile. I did a quick Google search but the instructions I found  didn't help in my situation. So I had to call Amazon. The first agent I spoke to remoted in to the Kindle but would not answer my inquiries as what to do next. Finally she said to deregister the Kindle. I asked her if there was any other way and she said it would fix the issue. I deregister the Kindle as instructed but then I try to re-register the damn thing and it won't do it. She keeps telling me to keep trying and after 7 tries I literally ask her "Do you have any idea what you're actually doing?"

I get hung up on after that and now I'm pissed. Sandra Violet is good at sensing my moods and runs up to me and says "Hug! I need hug!". There is no defense to this, if Sandra Violet needs a hug Sandra Violet gets a hug, which does a lot to calm me down. I call Amazon again, get a new agent and explain what happened. She was super nice and said the previous agent should not have told me to deregister the device. When I explained that the device would not re-register she began processing an order for a free replacement. Then we hit a major snag "Mr. Harris, I'm going to send you a printable label and you just have to take the device to UPS and ship it back to us and then we can send the replacement". I was livid. "No, you are going to send me the device without me sending it back because it was YOUR agent who gave me wrong tech support and messed up my daughter's tablet. I shouldn't have to send the old one back for YOUR mistake!". I demanded a supervisor and was put on hold for 15 minutes before being disconnected.

I was in a fit of rage. It was now 4 A.M., Sandra Violet was still awake with no tablet to calm her down. I decided to turn the tablet off and back on to see if maybe that would reboot the system to get it working. When it came back on it was still deregistered. So I tried to register it gain. This time... IT WORKED!  

We lost all of Sandy's previous downloaded data but we can re-download all the episodes of Blippi and Ryan's World she had on there before (I also put Dino Dana, a charming Canadian show about a girl that is gonzo for dinosaurs). The Amazon agent who put me on hold called back and apologized for the disconnection and said she could still get my a supervisor. I told her what happened an she was delighted to hear everything had worked out. It was 4:30 A.M. when all was said and done. Sandra Violet had her tablet, her blankies and tiny scone and hunkered down. I thought that would be the end of it but she didn't fall back asleep until 7:15 A.M. I think she will be out until about 11 A.M. and I have work at 8:30 A.M. (I work from home). It's gonna be a helluva day!

James

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I was in a fit of rage. It was now 4 A.M., Sandra Violet was still awake with no tablet to calm her down. I decided to turn the tablet off and back on to see if maybe that would reboot the system to get it working. When it came back on it was still deregistered. So I tried to register it gain. This time... IT WORKED!  

You can't fix anything when you are stressed out and tired.   Dad 101.   It's the Fog of War.

45 minutes ago, J.H. said:

"Hug! I need hug!". There is no defense to this, if Sandra Violet needs a hug Sandra Violet gets a hug, which does a lot to calm me down.

Cherish the hug days, dude.  My daughter is 18 now and I can barely get her to shake hands with me these days.   She still loves me very much, but it's different from the adoration that a pre-teen child has for a parent. 

I'm enjoying the evolution of our relationship but there is more letting go involved than there is pulling close these days and it is hard to shake loose of Father Wolf habits.  I will still probably threaten her fiance before she gets married.

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

Reboot!  99% of the time, it works every time.  My second rule of IT, brother.  Right behind "wait a little bit and see if it sorts itself out," because that shit worked for me like 2-3 times just last week, too.  I think the 3rd rule is "always escalate the call because the first person you're talking to is reading a script and has no idea how to help you."  Which also applies.  ?

I heartily endorse melatonin.  My daughter is 6 and we give her 1.5mg every night.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1