DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

8 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Is 95 particularly bad in certain areas? I've been everywhere on it from Maine to Florida and haven't noticed too many really bad spots... My daughter is 16 in June, we're in the market for a beater to be her first car...

95 is a parking lot in Northern VA near DC.  I don't think it's that bad of a highway, but others think differently.

I went in halfsies on a 2008 Saturn VUE with my daughter's stepfather.  Safety ratings are pretty good for that thing and we won the bid by offering only $1500.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/saturn/vue-4-door-suv/2008

Of course we had an ace up our sleeves.   My kid's stepfather is an auto mechanic and his family runs a body shop in Goochland, so it wasn't difficult to get the VUE into running shape. 

If you don't have access to those sorts of resources, you're better off hitting up a used auto dealership.  At least that way you'd have access to financing and some sort of warranty.  It's catch as catch can if you just try to negotiate with some dude with a car for sale.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Ah right, usually if I'm passing through there it's super early as to beat the gridlock... But yeah overall interstates can actually be easier than other roads.

My brother is mechanically skilled so we'll definitely be asking for his help!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 5:24 PM, OGpistolpete said:

Boys, I’ve got a little girl in the way. Any advice early on is appreciated.

I'm late on this, but I don't go to this part of the board much.

Don't worry about keeping your house clean.  It's going to get messy.  Also have a lot of cheap clothing/onesies on hand and don't worry about dressing them cute everyday because they're going to crap through a lot of stuff.

Speaking of which, Water Wipes (brand name of a wipe) were a godsend, especially when my son was still on breast milk.

Take naps when you can, usually when you kid is taking one.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

If you have a kid on the way, get ready for a million questions, some really nonsensical, usually at the end of the day when you're exhausted and definitely not in the mood for it ?

Oh Lord, this.  If they're anything like my son, they don't care about the answers. He won't even wait for the answer to end before asking the next question.  Sometimes we have to have a question moratorium just to keep the parents sane.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Oh Lord, this.  If they're anything like my son, they don't care about the answers. He won't even wait for the answer to end before asking the next question.  Sometimes we have to have a question moratorium just to keep the parents sane.

YES

I tried the moratorium.  I got "BUT I LIKE TO ASK QUESTIONS!  NO MORE QUESTIONS????  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

YES

I tried the moratorium.  I got "BUT I LIKE TO ASK QUESTIONS!  NO MORE QUESTIONS????  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

On the rare occasion we use that, we'll get a couple minutes at best.  But they're a blissful couple minutes.

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2021 at 10:43 AM, Neil Koch said:

I'm late on this, but I don't go to this part of the board much.

Don't worry about keeping your house clean.  It's going to get messy.  Also have a lot of cheap clothing/onesies on hand and don't worry about dressing them cute everyday because they're going to crap through a lot of stuff.

I’ll echo all of this.

Also, take other parents’ advice about what “works” with a grain of salt, because every baby is different. That sounds obvious, but as an example, my daughter hated being in the baby swing we bought that our friends swore by but loved a play station that a friend gave us because their kid hated.   

On 3/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, Technico Support said:

My (almost 6) year old daughter heard dubstep today.  Her reaction: I LIKE THIS!!  IT SOUNDS LIKE ROBOTS!!!!!

I think I earned a couple of Cool Dad points last weekend when I punched up Zombies Ate My Neighbors by DJ Schoolboy on my Spotify playlist while taking my kid back to the ex's.

Of course the only reason I am familiar with that track is because I heard it used in a horror movie:  V/H/S 2.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 10:43 AM, Neil Koch said:

Speaking of which, Water Wipes (brand name of a wipe) were a godsend, especially when my son was still on breast milk.

Boogie Wipes are the greatest invention of our time.

51GMahYCgoL._AC_.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 3:08 PM, Neil Koch said:

Also masks don't protect against pinkeye.  Found that out this week.

Masks protect against pinkeye if you put the mask over the kid's entire face so they can't rub her eyes with the fingers they just shoved up their nose.

Breathing might be problematic though.

There are some dads out there that are dumb enough to try that.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 10:05 PM, JonnyLaw said:

I’ll echo all of this.

Also, take other parents’ advice about what “works” with a grain of salt, because every baby is different. That sounds obvious, but as an example, my daughter hated being in the baby swing we bought that our friends swore by but loved a play station that a friend gave us because their kid hated.   

Yeah, pretty much everything that supposedly works for 100% of babies does the opposite with my son.  He gets a lot more play out of the random cheap stuff I got him from the clearance section of Target than anything else.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:59 PM, J.T. said:

Boogie Wipes are the greatest invention of our time.

51GMahYCgoL._AC_.jpg

My son never had an issue with boogers when he was an infant and now tat he's three, he just picks his nose... and eats it.  Ugh.  He's totally gonna be the weird kid who eats paste in kindergarten.

My son (3, he'll be 4 next week) does the million question thing.  Lately, it's mainly been questions about "The Quantum Realm" from Ant Man.  "Why Wasp's mom went in the Quantum Realm?"  "Are there bad guys in the Quantum Realm?"  So, he'll do his questions, and juuuuust when I start to get annoyed he'll say, "Dad, can I tell you somefing?" and I'll give and exhausted, "What?" Then he'll say, "You the best daddy."  Goddammit.  Heart melted.  Big hugs.  Ask me whatever you want, buddy.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I went online last weekend to buy a new pocketknife. I already knew what to expect, but still got annoyed about instantly because every damn knife has to be called “tactical” or the mall ninjas won’t buy it.

Anyway, my six year old heard me grumbling and came over to check out what I was doing. Then he wanted to what made something tactical.  I told him that mainly it’s just gotta be black. Unfortunately, he and I have the same sense of humor, so he spent the next thirty minutes running around pointing at things and shouting “tactical television!” “Tactical mud!” “Tactical cat!”

His momma came home in the middle of that and I had to explain what was going on. Fortunately she already knew she married an idiot  

I ended up getting something that said not just tactical but also extreme ops, though the most extreme op I’m gonna use it for is opening Amazon boxes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Both of my kids (10 and 4) got waaaay into Gabba.  My wife and I still sing songs from that show all the time.  My daughter got to see them live when they were still doing that.  We even got to see a live Biz's Beat of the Day!

• Like 2

PJ Masks is the worst cartoon my kid watches.  Thankfully he moved on from it pretty quickly.  I am starting to hate Camp Creataceaous (or "Sharptooth Kids" as he calls it) after watching the whole series like 3 or 4 times.  I do enjoy watching the older Marvel cartoons on Disney+ with him like Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.  I hate Frozen but it is cute hearing him sing along.

I have specific issues with Bluey.

It's not at all a bad show. It's a very good show, but the 8 year old channels all of the 3 year old's imaginative play through it, which tends to be a combination of a completely put upon (and sometimes beaten upon) father and other ridiculous and repetitive things. When the 8 year old was 3, we just came up with our own stuff and I didn't have this ridiculous show to live up to. I also had less kids without the age gap and not in a freaking pandemic so it was easier to navigate. It sets the bar annoyingly high. It makes stuff that used to be a joy more of a burden, though I think I've gotten better at redirecting things in the last month.

Edited by Matt D