DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

Princess Sandra woke up at 1am crying for Mommy and Daddy. We determined that while giving her melatonin to help get her to sleep, its effectiveness in keeping her asleep is negligible. So it was camp out in the living room night for Clan Harris.

Princess Sandra woke at 9AM and Ducktales is put on for her amusement. The Wife crawls back to the bedroom. She works 2nds so I begrudge her nothing. I go to the bathroom, Ducktales still playing, the TV remote safely out of reach.

OR SO I THOUGHT!!!

Not only does the wee one get her hands on the remote but she then proceeds to put on that bastion of fine children's programming that the Ice Cube movie... BIKER BOYS!

This is my life...

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dad tip: If you have a young child who is really into watching you play RDR2 and likes Arthur, don't use it as an opportunity to teach them about terminal illness.  Tears will ensure and you'll need to walk it back to "Arthur retired from that life and got better (maybe moved to Tahiti or Australia), and his friend John took over for him."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

My daughter is taking hear SAT's on Saturday.  It is slowly dawning on me how old I am.

That and the bottle of Centrum 50+ vitamins in my medicine cabinet.

At least I don't take any more meds than that... so far...

• Haha 1

My 15 year old daughter drove me for the first time the other day. Still practicing and she's gotta take it easy on curves but otherwise she did fucking awesome, so proud papa here!

My little one is getting a g-tube soon, to aid in nutrition. Overall he's good at bottle feeding so it's just supplemental, but I'm still fucked up about it as it's just another reminder that he's not like other 2 year olds ?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

My 15 year old daughter drove me for the first time the other day. Still practicing and she's gotta take it easy on curves but otherwise she did fucking awesome, so proud papa here!

Good shit!  I found that being a good example while my daughter was a passenger helped my kid become the solid driver she is now.  She actually paid attention to me when I didn't blow through red lights or burn down the highway at excessive speeds.

You think your kids aren't watching you, but they are.  If you drive responsibly, your kid will probably follow suit.

16 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

My little one is getting a g-tube soon, to aid in nutrition. Overall he's good at bottle feeding so it's just supplemental, but I'm still fucked up about it as it's just another reminder that he's not like other 2 year olds ?

You are a good dad so just do your best to make sure the kid is okay.  That's all you can really do.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

My 5 year old is on distance learning and there's one kid who, for three days now, has needed a battery in their smoke detector.  Every time this kid unmutes mic, there's that chirp every few seconds.  It's driving me nuts.  Aside from how annoying it is, how the hell can these people sleep?

• Like 1

I have a relative with the same thing.  I guess she figures as long as it's downstairs and she closes her bedroom door then it's fine.  But every time I go there I just want to take a ladder and get it taken care of, especially after hearing that for an hour.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My ex wife and I are en route to an ER with our suicidal 15yo daughter, due to self harm and emergency intervention, not a result of an attempt. Meanwhile, my current wife is spending her second night at a hospital in Boston with our 2yo son, who developed a new seizure over the weekend. 

So yeah I'm kinda of a wreck. Yay parenthood?

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

My ex wife and I are en route to an ER with our suicidal 15yo daughter, due to self harm and emergency intervention, not a result of an attempt. Meanwhile, my current wife is spending her second night at a hospital in Boston with our 2yo son, who developed a new seizure over the weekend. 

So yeah I'm kinda of a wreck. Yay parenthood?

I'm sorry to hear all this. I hope things work out okay for you all. 

• Thanks 1

Better today, but exhausted. Sitting at the ER waiting for some sort of information. Apparently the idea is sit and wait until a bed opens elsewhere. It's been said a billion times already but mental healthcare is absurd in this fucking country. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm sitting next to my 5 year old while he's doing Kindergarten over Zoom.  All the kids have been comparing what kind of Covid test they got.  So his teacher and best school friend have come back positive.  This freaking year.

On the plus side, he's developing a properly warped sense of humor.  He shares my love of Animal Crackers.  He says farts sound like the buzzer in Operation.  And he laughed his ass off yesterday when I got a mouthful of mud while cleaning out the gutters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OMG sitting next to a kindergartener in Zoom is a real treat.  I've heard the same kid's "smoke detector needs a battery" intermittent beep since September, no lie.  If I had a dime for every time the teacher says "(insert name here), stay on mute please," she'd be in private school.  Kids just yelling out for no damn reason, whatever.  It's wild, man.

• Like 2

@christopher.anninoI hope everything is going better for you, man.  I hope your family is doing okay.

My daughter turns 18 on Saturday.  I thought I would be terrified, but we've had some good talks and the conversations have reinforced the idea that she's got a good head on her shoulders.

Now comes the weird part of our relationship where our boundaries start to shift.  I will always be around to give her advice, but she won't depend on her mother and I for the day-to-day care for much longer.  

I will still relish my role as her personal hitman.  Her stepdad owns a lot of land and there is plenty of room to hide a body.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, OGpistolpete said:

Boys, I’ve got a little girl in the way. Any advice early on is appreciated.

Take lots of pictures. They are only babies for a little while. I took so many pictures of my daughters, and still do, and looking at them now brings my wife and I so much happiness and brings back so many memories.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 6:24 PM, OGpistolpete said:

Boys, I’ve got a little girl in the way. Any advice early on is appreciated.

CONGRATS!

They grow so fast it's crazy.  Get ready for a general lack of sleep for a good while.  Take naps where you can.  I went through a period where my daughter was waking up inconsolable at all hours and I had to find an empty office or nap in my car from time to time.  Be patient but also know that you have to take care of yourself from time to time, too.  Developmental milestones are a little weird and some pediatricians really stick to them and might get you worried but do your best not to stress.  Anyway, this is just a big info dump to tell you that's having a kid is at the same time the hardest and most satisfying thing ever.  This kid drives me nuts but I love her more than anything in the world.  ?  Best to you, friend.

• 5 weeks later...

My daughter called me this morning from the DMV and told me that she passed her behind the wheel exam!  She's now a licensed motor vehicle operator!  Her voice beamed with pride.  It felt good to hear her excitement about her accomplishment.

She passed on driving herself to hang out with me this weekend, though.  Highway driving still intimidates her, but she'll get better as she becomes a more confident driver.

That's okay though.  Dad will be more than happy to continue his chauffer duties until then.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

My daughter called me this morning from the DMV and told me that she passed her behind the wheel exam!  She's now a licensed motor vehicle operator!  Her voice beamed with pride.  It felt good to hear her excitement about her accomplishment.

She passed on driving herself to hang out with me this weekend, though.  Highway driving still intimidates her, but she'll get better as she becomes a more confident driver.

That's okay though.  Dad will be more than happy to continue his chauffer duties until then.

I don’t think I’d want my kid driving on 95 for a good while.

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I don’t think I’d want my kid driving on 95 for a good while.

I don't think interstate driving is all that difficult as long as you give yourself decent following distance to judge the speed of the people in front of you.

I hate city / local driving far more than driving on the freeway with all of the start / stops and people making horrible decisions or being generally discourteous.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

I don't think interstate driving is all that difficult as long as you give yourself decent following distance to judge the speed of the people in front of you.

I hate city / local driving far more than driving on the freeway with all of the start / stops and people making horrible decisions or being generally discourteous.

Worse than both?  Parking lot driving.  I live in Montgomery County and some of the lots around here are some straight up Mad Max shit.

• Like 1