DVDVR Message Board

RIP MF DOOM

Lamp, broken circa 1988

The amount of side projects and aliases this dude had... Geedorah, Vaughn, Madvillainy (the best hip hop album of '00s?), Dangerdoom, the list goes on. Sometimes I'd just chill out to those amazing special herbs instrumentals. What a legend.

user uploaded image

Somebody took his beats and mashed them with Nas vocals. It works very well. Shock.

Edited by Jiji

Burnt out/ but gaining every edgy penny/then he hit him straight to the head like Reggie Denny

Since two tone lees these phonies is boney hos/lonely like cheese and baloney only

Doing songs lit in the booth with the best host/doing bong hits on the roof in the west coast

it was 9 months of shit built up, but I screamed when I heard the news. This one warranted a sit-down, fuckin' bottom dropped out of me. Brodie hurt me enough, I watch two hours of perfect TV to work all that out and you have to hit me with something worse? 2020 I will piss on every monument with your mark upon them save the gravestones.

But it's only appropriate to spend the last minutes of 2020 grieving. MF DOOM got my Megaupload-era teenage musical omnivore self to lose a few baby teeth and lean into forever fresh beats, that perfect idiosyncratic flow. DO YOUR THING. Be amazing at it, never compromise, make them come to you. DOOM was that MC. He will reverberate forever.

• Like 6

I just remembered that someone stole my fucking Dangerdoom CD out of my car not a month after I bought it. The only other times that happened were the first Danzig going missing, and somebody just never returning a copy of Mothership Connection. 

THIS though... what a fucking record.

MC Serch is pouring his heart out over on InstagramI totally forgot Doom was Zev Love X a million years ago. No Gas Face for KMD.

Everyone is sleeping on the fact that Doom died two months ago and the news didn't get out until now. Can't get more on-brand for him than that. RIP.

Yeah, my best buddy (who got me into Doom) said he thought it might be a hoax because of how Doom was. You say he died on Halloween and I wonder, but the outpouring means it's got to be true. 

That's the same guy who got the Special Herbs collection and so gave me his CD of Vol. 3 and I played that to death. 

I am bummed.  MF DOOM was one of the absolute best.  I will put Dangerdoom and Madvillainy on heavy rotation this week.

RIP.  SPELL HIS NAME WITH ALL CAPS~!

Edited by J.T.

Okay.

I don't know what part of me is the same if I don't hear DOOM. In small ways, looking at every day objects or words causes me to remember a bunch of DOOM lines. "Brita water filter juice." "Oh, my aching hands, from raking in grands and breaking in mic stands." "Disappear, reappear, disappear again." I've got all of Great Day Today memorized. In larger ways, he kicked doors open in my creativity and expression. I don't tell jokes the same way without DOOM teaching me how to use surprise. I don't see things the same way without him. I think that's why this didn't make me hurt so bad? Because the stuff he's put out has already affected me so deeply and the work that did come out after Born Like This has all felt like blessings from an old master, I guess I was ready. I hear him in my mind all the time anyways.

RIP. and thanks.