DVDVR Message Board

RIP Brodie Lee/Luke Harper

Brodie's death is a complete shock. When he was off TV, I figured it was just an injury. It's just devastating to hear he had such a devastating illness. I feel awful because I didn't realize he was in any trouble when he lost the title. I figured he could've kept the title a little longer and lost it to Darby Allin or Orange Cassidy.

What I respect most about Brodie Lee was that he always bet on himself. He was nearly ready to retire from wrestling when he finally got picked up by WWE. He wasn't happy with how he was being used in WWE and went to AEW. He didn't want to be a good hand. He wanted to be a main eventer. He wasn't just happy to be there.

I was also struck when AEW finally let him talk, something Vince and WWE would never let him do. The dude looks like an extra from The Hills Have Eyes, but he's actually very soft-spoken and eloquent. What's more pro wrestling than that? It always seemed crazy to me that WWE never tried exploiting that. Here's this guy who looks like a caveman, but actually sounds like a college professor. The Exalted One was a good role for him.

I'm most sad about the family he's leaving behind considering he has small children. They are the ones hurting the most. My heart goes out to them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

The dude looks like an extra from The Hills Have Eyes, but he's actually very soft-spoken and eloquent. What's more pro wrestling than that? It always seemed crazy to me that WWE never tried exploiting that.

They did try that, with his stablemate. We all saw what happened with that. 

Still so unbelievable and out of nowhere. Loved his final match, the dog collar vs Cody, and figured he'd be on his way back soon. Seemed to have so much more to give and was really clicking in his role in AEW. All the tributes are great.

RIP Brodie Lee.

• Like 2

pardon my ignorance as I forgot the names but youtube has some great videos with Brodie on the road. Some were with Dalton Castle.  Brodie swore quite a bit but he was hysterical in the videos.  Apologies if this info had already been posted.

His work with Claudio in Chikara was always fun to go back and watch. The cage was the first cage match in Chikara history. This one hits hard. He had so much potential and was loved by so many. Praying that 2021 is a better year for all the world. 

• Like 1

I was always interested in Brodie's career as he was from Rochester.  The Syracuse-Rochester-Buffalo area has always been great pro wrestling towns with lots of diehard fans, but not much in the way of talent coming from the area.  So I was always interested in seeing how the local boy who had size and talent would make out.

From the sounds of it, he died from a lung infection.  Having lost a loved one recently due to what we thought was a minor infection I hope Brodie's death gets people to understand that you never fuck around with an infection because they kill you or your loved ones out of the blue.  Friend or foe, I would never wish this upon anybody and if you think you have a simple infection and can delay care or take the doctor's advice to delay care...don't do it.  

Such a shame seeing a guy this young with a family pass away.  My deepest sympathies are with his family.

HoC

2 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that so many people were fans of his work, I really thought I was one of the few ones, cause it didn't seem like we didn't really hear a lot of talk about him usually.

I've been a fan since the CHIKARA days. I think pretty much everyone that really knows the business was always are of how good he was especially being in the Wyatt family work horse. I was just thinking right before TLC that his match with Orton was probably Orton best match in recent memory and I remember the Ziggler match at TLC getting much praise.

Dude how cool would it have been if they had added Harper to that Mania Match with Bray and Orton?

In all seriousness for how much of a wasted opportunity it was what a fun couple of months with Harper flirting with the Main Event scene during Mania Season. Him and Orton had a fucking banger at EC 17. Him joining The Dark Order was a boost in the arm for the stable, n  outer there’s some perspective on the rushed Cody angle. I wonder if they knew he was on borrows time. The Dog Coller match is a hell of a last match to have.

• Like 1