DVDVR Message Board

NXT - 2021

Dolfan in NYC

So was this year's draft the last chance for the NXT veterans?  I feel like if Grimes, O'Reilly, KUSHIDA, etc. had any chance of getting a call-up, it was going to be this week.  Instead, only a couple wrestlers got promoted and the rest of them probably have months of jobs for rookie to look forward to, followed by being released or their contract expiring.  

On the one hand, that makes sense given how the situation has changed.  On the other hand, I'm finding I care even less about the NXT veterans since they're probably only around to give the new class some work.  So far, 2.0 is making for boring tv for me.  Most of the new faces aren't catching my interest.

Really thought Gonzalez would get drafted.  Wonder what that means?  I don't have much of an opinion about her, but her size makes her an obvious prospect and SDL could probably use her.  If she's not ready now, when will she be?  I don't think jobbing to Mandy Rose is going to get her closer to a call-up.

I'm hoping the new format is just going through growing pains and will be a better tv product before too long, but I'm skeptical given WWE's track record at fixing its issues.  They've thrown too many people on tv with next to no introduction.  A couple weeks of promos for most people to introduce us to the characters wouldn't have been a bad idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

So was this year's draft the last chance for the NXT veterans?  I feel like if Grimes, O'Reilly, KUSHIDA, etc. had any chance of getting a call-up, it was going to be this week.  Instead, only a couple wrestlers got promoted and the rest of them probably have months of jobs for rookie to look forward to, followed by being released or their contract expiring.  

On the one hand, that makes sense given how the situation has changed.  On the other hand, I'm finding I care even less about the NXT veterans since they're probably only around to give the new class some work.  So far, 2.0 is making for boring tv for me.  Most of the new faces aren't catching my interest.

Really thought Gonzalez would get drafted.  Wonder what that means?  I don't have much of an opinion about her, but her size makes her an obvious prospect and SDL could probably use her.  If she's not ready now, when will she be?  I don't think jobbing to Mandy Rose is going to get her closer to a call-up.

I'm hoping the new format is just going through growing pains and will be a better tv product before too long, but I'm skeptical given WWE's track record at fixing its issues.  They've thrown too many people on tv with next to no introduction.  A couple weeks of promos for most people to introduce us to the characters wouldn't have been a bad idea.

I tend to agree with every thing you wrote here. I checked out of the show already. I do think Bron Breakker is a gem and going to make them a bazillion dollars. But I also think that would still be the case had nxt stayed how it was and he came in through that system. The new presentation, tons of cookie cutter people debuting, the new nxt isn't for me. And that's okay.

But I do wonder if some of those veterans still have a shot. They tend to do a draft in October then a "shake up" gimmick after Wrestlemania. So some of those guys still have a chance. Grimes sticks out to me. He'll probably put some new guys over for a while, go off of nxt for a minute, then show up on one of those shows after Mania. The same could happen for Dunn or Gonzales. I think O'Riley & Kushida are screwed tho. Gargano is already gone lol. He will show up somewhere new in January. Maybe AEW, maybe ROH, maybe MLW, maybe Impact. I have a hunch GCW is getting ready to take the next step and get a TV deal and he could help them out with star power. He's got a lot of options.

NXT is ok as developmental, but I can't see NXT getting over 1 million plus viewers unless they make it more third brand adjacent as well (can retain all the developmental aspects) Sending some bigger names to NXT would boost ratings.

6 hours ago, D.Z said:

NXT is ok as developmental, but I can't see NXT getting over 1 million plus viewers unless they make it more third brand adjacent as well (can retain all the developmental aspects) Sending some bigger names to NXT would boost ratings.

I feel like that would only give short small boost at best. In general I feel like NXT will only improve much in ratings if WWE manages to improve the ratings on the main shows.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

I feel like that would only give short small boost at best. In general I feel like NXT will only improve much in ratings if WWE manages to improve the ratings on the main shows.

Raising the ratings of the other top shows still wouldn't increase the ratings of NXT, most WWE fans just simply have this notion if it is smaller it doesn't matter, even for NXT. I also think the ratings WWE shows (SD, Raw) get nowadays are as good as it gets for this decade.

Edited by D.Z

• 2 weeks later...

So Meltzer randomly told the story today on the radio show that the reason MSK is booed is because years ago - one of the members of MSK (along with others like Lance Storm and Chelsea Green) made comments critical of a 13 year old Izzy taking a choke slam at an indie show. So Izzy's parents and their friends have convinced the majority of the crowd to boo MSK. (Which if nothing else, Dave used as an example of the problem of running in the same building and same people every single week)

Take all of that as you will

I would have sworn you posted that story in one of the threads last week.  Guess not, though I'm fairly sure I read it somewhere on here a week or two back.

Edit: It was in the omnibus thread last week.

Edited by Eoae

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

I would have sworn you posted that story in one of the threads last week.  Guess not, though I'm fairly sure I read it somewhere on here a week or two back.

Edit: It was in the omnibus thread last week.

I missed that but it would explain why Dave randomly brought it up since when Bryan started recapping the NXT show for tonight Dave just butts in and goes "did you see the story going around on why MSK is booed?"

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

It's from Wrestlevotes and I don't trust them, but reportedly NXT 2.0 may become a TV-14 show.

That makes no sense. So wrestlers are gonna get over with edgy gimmicks, then immediately be stripped of everything that got them over? Oh wait, I only described the current situation, but added the word "edgy."

Also, the amount of cringe, especially with the women will undoubtedly outweigh any positives.

• Like 1