DVDVR Message Board

NXT - 2021

Dolfan in NYC

From the way he's being presented, I feel like the company wants me to think Carrion Cross is something special, but I'm not seeing it all.  He seems like a generic big man to me.  I feel like he has a distinctive look in real life, but not necessarily in wrestling.  Gigantic, intimidating men covered in tats are not unique in this business, so that alone is not enough to make you stand out anymore.

The entrance is interesting, but I feel like it's wasted on me since I still don't know who his character is supposed to be.  It seems like they're going for some sort of supernatural gimmick or vibe, but that seems to vanish once he gets in the ring where he seems to revert to standard big man style.  And as attention-grabbing as the entrance is, we've seen it before.  Actually, the entrance and pairing with Scarlett remind me a lot of Mil Muertes and Catrina, except I'm a lot more into watching Mil Muertes wreck people.

Maybe the problem is charisma?  Cross seemed to have some personality on the indies (from what little I saw of him), but he seems to have vanished into his hazily-defined gimmick since joining NXT.  I'm not a huge fan of Damien Priest either, but he's been much better at playing his gimmick and showing some personality.

Thoughts?

That sounds generally accurate. Kross is fine, but nothing remotely special enough to warrant the push he has. The most standout thing in his run so far has honestly been Scarlett. She hasn't even done anything great, but she has way more presence and does well enough for the role she has.

It took a loooong time for Priest to figure out his gimmick in NXT/get the reigns taken off. I suspect that Kross will have the same issue since he's not a super worker so he's not going to get over that way (plus I'm not sure how that works without real crowds). Assuming he stays healthy and NXT keeps pushing him he'll get it figured out.

I really, really tried to like Shotzi Blackheart, she’s not terrible in the ring, but everything else about her just screams poseur to me. The howl, the welcome to the ball pit (wtf does that mean?!) the tank and helmet. She’s every annoying person at every punk show or goth club I have ever been to who is too loud, gets too drunk, and tries way too fucking hard. LOOK AT ME!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!! I KNOOOOOW ALLL THE WOOOOORDS!!!! I MET THE BAND!!!! LOOOOOOOK!!!! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

My first thought was “just how many teams are there in NXT?”

Well at least 3 are "mash-up" teams (singles guys agreeing to team together)

Plus there are 2 teams that are more 205 Live than NXT (which makes sense since they are doing matches on 205 Live too)

And 2 are technically daywalkers between NXT and NXT UK

Then you have Lucha House Party which just moved over from the main roster

Around 6-7 teams are regular fixtures in NXT though 205Live is technically NXT as well which arguably ups it to 8-9. The new team debuting will probably become regulars. Lucha House Party is seemingly just visiting as they are still on Raw.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Maverick/Dain vs Stallion/Grey and Bollywood Boyz vs Legado del Fantasma will be on 205 Live this week

Any way to watch 205 besides the Network?  I gave up my subscription some time ago.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:09 AM, L_W_P said:

I want Maverick and Dain to win the Dusty Classic and use the momentum to go after the Cruiser and NA titles.

I'd really like to see Maverick & Dain go against Lorcan & Burch once more, after winning the cup. Somehow, I still see GYV winning this thing, after coming up short last time around.

2 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Watched 205 Live for the first time to catch the Dusty Cup matches and was pleasantly surprised to see Nigel on commentary! I’m such a fan of his in and out of the ring. I would prefer him to Barrett on NXT.

Honestly I find Barrett a decent bit better, but Nigel was solid when he was on NXT pre-COVID.