DVDVR Message Board

2021 NBA - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Seven members of the LA Clippers' support staff -- including one who tested positive for COVID-19 -- are in quarantine away from the team, sources told ESPN.

The quarantined group, which traveled via vans from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles over the weekend, includes no players, coaches or team management, sources said.

The Clippers traveled to Phoenix to play the Suns on Sunday night.

Contact tracing of the positive test led back to a New Year's Eve staff gathering with food and drinks in a presidential suite of a Salt Lake City team hotel that included intermittent mask wearing, sources said.

This episode becomes one more cautionary tale in a league fighting to play a 72-game regular-season schedule and playoffs amid the coronavirus pandemic while limiting outbreaks within teams.

The Clippers lost 106-100 to the Jazz on Friday night in Salt Lake City before departing for Phoenix for Sunday's game.

The NBA recently encouraged teams to monitor and mete out punishment to staff and players in violation of protocols, according to a memo obtained by ESPN.

The league told teams that they must follow normal disciplinary processes in handing out punishments, including "determining the facts, providing the person alleged to have violated the protocols with an opportunity to be heard, and using principles of fairness, proportionality and progressivity in determining discipline."

Well things are going well for the NBA

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 5:32 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Don't think it got mentioned, but Rudy Gobert got a 5/205 extension last month.  

We turn to Shaq for his thoughts:

I'd say fuck the Jazz but Gobert's contract is going to be doing that for years

I know tonight was against the Kings but the Warriors have looked like a completely different team the last two games. Offensively they're moving the ball and actually hitting 3's, defensively they're pressuring the other team and not fouling nearly as much. That said our next seven games: Clippers, Clippers, Raptors, Pacers, @Nuggets, @Suns, and @Lakers. Firmly trying to not get ahead of myself.

Edited by blitzkrieg

Don't worry, the Raptors are basement dwellers right now with Siakam looking like a very average player but the rest of those should be good tests. 

Knicks look like an actual team. Thibideau unsurprisingly is running his starters hard with basically a 3 man bench but they came back from 13 or 15 against a good Atlanta team. 

Pacers forced overtime after some hilariously bad game management from the Pelicans. NOLA was up 6 with 20 seconds left. Oladipo (looking very much like peak Oladipo) hits a 3, forces a turnover and Turner hits a wide open 3 with 7 left to tie it up. Pacers went on to win, lol.

Honestly, if any team should be seriously considering maybe making a big offer for Harden, it's Toronto. Their offense is just stuck so far down right now, and Harden definitely improves that. It wouldn't be much different than the Kawhi trade was.

• Like 1

Agreed, however they didn't replace Gasol or Ibaka effectively so their defense isn't what it was either. Early days and all but they look wretched from the bits I've seen. Ujiri isn't one to rush especially from a position of weakness and he's also in the last year of his contract which is problematic in pulling off a franchise altering trade too. Harden's defense has improved but nothing like Kawhi or  Siakam's level (different positions sure). It's interesting looking at Siakam's win shares. ~5 the year before and after Kawhi and 9 with Kawhi. Not sure I bite if I'm Houston and he's the main piece coming back. Somebody is going to get desparate though. It feels like the season won't really begin until he's moved, like how in seasons past Christmas was often seen as the start of the real season. There's still this seismic shift waiting to happen. 

So the big hub-bub is Kevin Durant was exposed to someone who is COVID-19 positive

Due to NBA protocols - Durant has to quarantine for 7 days (he will miss 4 games) (He has already tested negative 3 times this week)

The reason this is a bigger issue than usual is because Durant already had COVID and is still testing positive for the anti-bodies

In the really dumbed down version that I could understand - since scientists are still unsure the level of immunity the anti-bodies provide (and if someone with the virus can still transmit it) the league is erroring on the side of caution.

Naturally - a lot of people are unhappy about that.

I am actually a little surprised this is the first time this is happening since sports returned (at least that I can recall)

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

In the really dumbed down version that I could understand - since scientists are still unsure the level of immunity the anti-bodies provide (and if someone with the virus can still transmit it) the league is erroring on the side of caution.

Naturally - a lot of people are unhappy about that.

I am actually a little surprised this is the first time this is happening since sports returned (at least that I can recall)

There have been like a handful of UFC fighters who have had COVID and were still showing anti-bodies which in turn cause their fights to fall out. At the same time, the UFC policy isn't as consistent because if those same fighters end up with a cornerman who tested positive, they might still end up fighting if they find a way to test negative and haven't made it inside the UFC bubble (which is hardly a bubble nowadays). Even then, the fighter can choose to not have that person corner them. Worst case scenario, they just continue to move the fight to different dates.

Major stick and ball sports are obviously a little different because they're desperately hoping to avoid postponement. In addition, several months into sports returning, there are times where you don't know who exactly caught what and when. You just assume they're negative and have always been negative due to never hearing about this or that person testing positive. When it's a Kevin Durant or somebody on that level, it's gonna hard to keep that a secret.

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Meyers Leonard can absolutely suck my ass. Not that performative gestures accomplish anything, but just the same. Suck my ass.

Ugh I hate to stick up for him because he's on my team and all but he's said the reason he doesn't kneel is because his brother is active duty military.  He's spoken to all of his teammates about this and they seem to be fine with it.  Word is he donates a lot to good black and POC -focused causes too. 

Not that it's not a good look considering, you know, coup attempts... but this is his logic.

the NBA G League’s 2020/21 draft will take place on Monday, January 11. And according to Jonathan Givony of ESPN (Twitter links), there will be some interesting names on the list of players eligible to be selected in that draft.

Veteran swingman Lance Stephenson, former No. 2 overall pick Emeka Okafor, and other recent NBA players like Justin Patton, Jacob Evans, and Admiral Schofield will be part of the draft pool, per Givony. Former first-round picks Terrence Jones and Shabazz Muhammad will be draft-eligible as well.

According to Givony, the following players who have been on NBA rosters in the past are also among the G League’s other draft-eligible veterans: Kenny Wooten, Antonio Blakeney, Tyler Ulis, Quincy Pondexter, Diamond Stone, Hollis Thompson, Cat Barber, Isaiah Briscoe, Phil Booth, Dusty Hannahs, Jemerrio Jones, Cory Jefferson, and Freddie Gillespie.

These, presumably, are players who have signed G League contracts but whose rights aren’t currently held by any teams. A player whose returning rights are controlled by a club participating in the G League’s bubble season wouldn’t be eligible to be drafted.

For instance, Shams Charania of The Athletic reports (via Twitter) that LiAngelo Ball has signed a contract to play in the bubble. Since the Oklahoma City Blue hold his returning rights and are playing in the bubble, Ball shouldn’t be in the general draft pool.

The Blue are one of 18 teams set to participate in the shortened bubble season, which is expected to take place at Walt Disney World. That list of teams can be found right here.

Givony previously reported that the G League is adjusting its roster rules for this season to make it easier for NBA teams to recruit and sign veterans with five or more years of NBA experience. Each NBAGL team will be able to designate an “NBA Vet Selection” who fits that bill and can sign that player directly without navigating the league’s complicated waiver process. My understanding is that those designated won’t be in the draft pool.

• Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario (Clippers)
  • Austin Spurs (Spurs)
  • Canton Charge (Cavaliers)
  • Delaware Blue Coats (Sixers)
  • Erie BayHawks (Pelicans)
  • Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Pacers)
  • G League Ignite (Select Team)
  • Greensboro Swarm (Hornets)
  • Iowa Wolves (Timberwolves)
  • Lakeland Magic (Magic)
  • Long Island Nets (Nets)
  • Memphis Hustle (Grizzlies)
  • Oklahoma City Blue (Thunder)
  • Raptors 905 (Raptors)
  • Rio Grande Valley Vipers (Rockets)
  • Salt Lake City Stars (Jazz)
  • Santa Cruz Warriors (Warriors)
  • Westchester Knicks (Knicks)

The report notes that the Wizards will be using the Erie BayHawks as their affiliate, as previously reported. Washington’s own club, the Capital City Go-Go, will not be involved in the 2020/21 G League bubble season.

As we previously relayed, several teams were asked to volunteer to opt out of the bubble this season, as the G League will not be able to accommodate all 29 clubs into this Orlando campus environment.

Kyrie Irving is occasionally very relatable.

Seth Curry had a postive Covid test come back while he was playing the Nets tonight.  The Sixers are isolating in NYC overnight and will begin contact tracing.

The Nets are somehow still planning on flying to Memphis for their game against the Grizzlies so great job, NBA.

Was the Kyrie thing ever verified? Not that I would put that past him.

Nuggets/Mavs trading punches down the stretch here. Good stuff. Just about every team in the league right now has something worth watching/going for them. Love this league even if playing right now, as demonstrated with the COVID stuff above, is dumb as shit/naked avarice.