DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (with Special Guest Star Don Callis) - 12/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

These fetuses are being set up for a blood feud. If Jean(ne) Moxley-Paquette ever jobs to Augdustus/Dustiny Rhodes, we riot.

I am anxiously await the Aurora Rose Levesque reveal as the new owner of AEW in about 25 years or so.

• Sad 1

I think the main event would have been a lot better if Kenny just hit the One Winged Angel without the comeback. Just drop the Poison Rana onwards. Joey got his hope spot with the fast start, Kenny took over and ate him alive. Done and done. I like Joey, but he does not need to be making a comeback on the world champion.

Kenny vs Fenix next week? Oh fuck yes.

Otherwise, this show mostly felt like a placeholder after they did roughly everything in every segment the last two weeks. I'd like to see more of a balance between  "almost Russo paced" and "show was fine, but nothing really happened."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

@Craig HDid you see the bit where Scorpio Sky is doing a podcast with James from Funhaus? I have no one else to discuss this with and I'm way to excited about this podcast.

I did see that. Funhaus is a podcast I haven't listened to in about forever, but I'm still subscribed to it. I'll give it a listen to though if he's doing one with Scorp.

I liked the pacing of this week much better than last.  There were still a lot of post-match things going on but at least it had time to breathe.  And I expected chaos with the Inner Circle match but really, really loved the slow build where it got a tiny bit chaotic before the pinfall.  And whether it was in response to what was said online recently or not I appreciated that there was no "gathering the coils" for a dive onto everybody.  I also was tickled pink by Pillman Jr starting it against Jericho due to past history with his dad.

As for the rest of the show I agree it started off great then kind of trailed off near the end.  I was highly amused by "The good, the bad, and the Hungy" as well as the entrance graphic for Page.  And it was on brand for Cody and Brandi to announce the pregnancy that way but congrats to them.  It does make me wonder why they bothered with last week though if Brandi doesn't even need to worry about how Jade wrestles.  And I'm not sure if without her wrestling there's enough to maintain a solid feud with everybody else involved in this.  Maybe managing but that's gonna be a long time before Brandi could pay this off with Jade.  And I like The Acclaimed and thought their match was fine.  But I agree with John E that Caster's rap left a lot to be desired even though I generally like it on Dark.

• Like 1

Random thoughts in no particular order...

I don't watch Dark so I was worried about the Acclaim not being good in the ring because people here said shit like, "I hope they're practicing their Young Bucks match right now." I didn't find them to be very bad at all.  Maybe that was the vereran presence of SCU and maybe they idiot proofed the match?  Anyway, not bad at all.  I didn't really mind the dueling raps to start the match.  I guess Kaz had to get one up to keep the Acclaimed from getting over as babyfaces.  Losing to the Bucks feels too soon but no biggie.  Like others, I think the Acclaimed needs to stay away from the misogynist/toxic masculinity shit.  One of them if gay, FFS.  They should know better.

LOOOOL at Cody getting locked in a painful leg hold and the hitting a convoluted triple jump cutter a minute later.  Also, why grab the ropes with your teeth to break a hold when you're obviously close enough that touching the ropes with any part of your head would force a break?  Oh, because it looks cooler.  Got it.

JR is really reaching hard for "real sports credibility" when the best he could do was "well one of these guys played baseball and the other guy's dad was a real athlete."

I loved the six man.  The Good, the bad, and the hungy.  LOL. 

I like the booking logic of Rey Fenix getting a title shot!

THE EQUALIZER GOD DAMMIT

JR shouts out Killer Karl Kox and we get to fill out the "downlow racism" and "60+ year old references" spots on our JR Bingo cards in a rare twofer.

Pleasantly surprised by Ivalisse and Diamante tonight!  Pretty good tag.  Cloverleaf--->the finger--->MORE HURTY CLOVERLEAF was great.

Sting just walked away after the confrontation.  Why didn't Team Taz just run right back out and attack Cody then?

Going from the Jurassic Express highlight package to FTR being pissed about them getting attention and demanding a match was creative.  "Cosplay olde tyme rasslers vs Tarzan and a dinosaur" is a good feud.

I enjoyed Top Flight challenging Jericho and MJF.  In WWE, the veterans would have been the ones challenging the rookies and the rookies would have been scared.

Callis says "kid" way too much and it bugs me more than it should.

Cody is going to have a gender reveal party on Dynamite where the promising up and comer he gets to beat will wear blue or pink. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm just watching clips on YouTube right now since I've got work again tonight, but I love Callis' "PAY WINDAH, HUH JR?". And then Excalibur mentioning that Kota Ibushi is the only person to kick out of the One Winged Angel.

• Like 3

There's traditions on this board. Me fucking shitting on Hulk Hogan, I'm a hardcore fan of Batman/Daniel Bryan, a steel cage in a steel cage, Seinfeld, @S.K.o.S. Summer Blockbuster Pool I've taken part in every year and @Andy in Kansas using a GIF to react to the NXT and AEW ratings. Last week's was the best yet.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOL at Cody getting locked in a painful leg hold and the hitting a convoluted triple jump cutter a minute later.  Also, why grab the ropes with your teeth to break a hold when you're obviously close enough that touching the ropes with any part of your head would force a break?  Oh, because it looks cooler.  Got it.

Cody is going to have a gender reveal party on Dynamite where the promising up and comer he gets to beat will wear blue or pink. 

Yeah, Cody hitting Dave Crist's finisher after being in the Navarro Death Lock was really suspect but with Dave languishing in #metoo exile, someone has to hit the business exposing moves.

The wall running version of the ring assisted Ace Crusher is my favorite.

It would not surprise me if Cody's ring attire would be a part of some sort of gender reveal.

The 12 man was remarkably restrained and well booked.  I was surprised.

Oh and Fuck JR.  Brandon Cutler is a perfectly fine mid-card guy even if he is a bit lacking in ring moxie.

• Like 1

I just want there to be a moratorium on all cutters that take more than .25 seconds to hit.  This includes, but is not limited to:

• Slingshot into a cutter ("Taking it to the streets" tm Excalibur)
  • Step off the bottom rope while climbing into the ring into a cutter
  • Motherfucking Lethal Injection
  • Ozcutter
  • Cody Cutter
  • Filling out my TPS reports oh wait here's a cutter please wait for it here it comes I swear just hold up cutter cutter

I'm a fan of egregious video game wrestling as much as the next guy but seeing time stand still as Angelico watched Cody run the ropes and then fly backwards at him was just dumb.  Might as well stagger around Mortal Kombat "waiting for a fatality" style if you're going to sit there forever and wait for you opponent to do a gymnastics routine into a finisher.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Quite a few of those Ace Crusher variations rely on the opponent to stand there like a loon until he's demolished.   It's a lot to ask from the standard boot to the belly set-up..  

The Springboard Cutter is not as bad as there is some element of surprise to it, but I particularly hate the Lethal Injection.  Jay is right there in front of you about to hit the ropes and he is blind to your position until he springs back to hit the move.  A simple step to either side will counter the Lethal Injection.

Dave Crist had the common decency to add an arm wringer set-up to his ring assisted double jump cutter, so he is controlling the position of the opponent before he hits his big move.  Not quite as business exposing and the Crist Cutter definitely has the look of a three count finisher that kills on impact.

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Dave Crist had the common decency to add an arm wringer set-up to his ring assisted double jump cutter, so he is controlling the position of the opponent before he hits his big move.  Not quite as business exposing.

At the same time, they're holding hands, giving the opponent ample opportunity to pull him back off the ropes.  ;)

...Which was a frequent spot in his matches, when he'd go for the finish without wearing them down enough first.

Edited by AxB
FREQUENT, not request. Fucking autocorrect.
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

At the same time, they're holding hands, giving the opponent ample opportunity to pull him back off the ropes.  ?

Hence the arm wringer set-up for the Crist Cutter.  Almost no one pulled the Undertaker off of the ropes during Old School because they're supposed to be in pain from the arm twist, or at least that is what we tell ourselves.  At least it doesn't require some dude to fake being stunned and sell the swooning for an eternity.

And also what AxB said, the key of believing in these moves is that the guy taking the move is so beat up during the match that he cannot defend against the finisher.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I just want there to be a moratorium on all cutters that take more than .25 seconds to hit.  This includes, but is not limited to:

• Slingshot into a cutter ("Taking it to the streets" tm Excalibur)
  • Step off the bottom rope while climbing into the ring into a cutter
  • Motherfucking Lethal Injection
  • Ozcutter
  • Cody Cutter
  • Filling out my TPS reports oh wait here's a cutter please wait for it here it comes I swear just hold up cutter cutter

I'm a fan of egregious video game wrestling as much as the next guy but seeing time stand still as Angelico watched Cody run the ropes and then fly backwards at him was just dumb.  Might as well stagger around Mortal Kombat "waiting for a fatality" style if you're going to sit there forever and wait for you opponent to do a gymnastics routine into a finisher.

This made me snigger. Cheers, @Technico Support.

• Like 1

Cody/Angelico was a really fun TV match. TH2 are a great mid-card heel act, obnoxious enough to hate and agile enough to make the faces look good. I agree with the cutter moratorium, along with the DDT and Superkick it's become a transitional move so finishing someone off with it is a little eye rolling. On the other hand, I like that matches in AEW can end on a move that isn't a straight finisher and Cody has been at the forefront of that. I still think about when he pinned Shawn Spears with a Figure Four and smile.

Rest of the episode was fine, mostly setting things up for down the line. Omega/Fenix will be rad and a bit of a test for Kenny. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think the main event would have been a lot better if Kenny just hit the One Winged Angel without the comeback. Just drop the Poison Rana onwards. Joey got his hope spot with the fast start, Kenny took over and ate him alive. Done and done. I like Joey, but he does not need to be making a comeback on the world champion.

Kenny vs Fenix next week? Oh fuck yes.

Otherwise, this show mostly felt like a placeholder after they did roughly everything in every segment the last two weeks. I'd like to see more of a balance between  "almost Russo paced" and "show was fine, but nothing really happened."

I don’t like Joey Janela but otherwise I agree with you on this.

I also thought it was a little weird that Omega was more incapacitated from the poison rana than being put through a table by a guy jumping from the top rope to the outside.

And I think they’re just in a bit of a holding pattern until the New Years shows with next week’s show not starting until 10 or later because of the NBA game.

I just hope this doesn’t kill their momentum.