DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (with Special Guest Star Don Callis) - 12/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Not big on dudes saying shit like "if you got any BALLS" and "unless you're BITCHES." Shit is incredibly outdated and out of place. No sir, don't like it. 

Good show overall, liked seeing so many rookie-types even if it meant a good amount of blown shit. Eddie Kingston calling out God was legit. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

Not big on dudes saying shit like "if you got any BALLS" and "unless you're BITCHES." Shit is incredibly outdated and out of place. No sir, don't like it. 

Good show overall, liked seeing so many rookie-types even if it meant a good amount of blown shit. Eddie Kingston calling out God was legit. 

Yeah, we go from a fucking YOU'RE ON YOUR PERIOD, LIKE A WOMAN, WHICH IS BAD rap to YOU'RE BITCHES to the lone women's match in like, one quarter-hour. AEW has been the best wrestling to watch with your girlfriend since the heyday of the Rock 'n Roll Express. Or maybe that was the worst, either way, The Acclaimed are adding a new level of cringe to a product that already has to deal with JR. Get it the fuck out of here.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Once again I'm left with the weirdest takeaway - Griff Garrison looks like a star? Am I the only person seeing this?

He’s tall and has luscious hair.  That’s two-thirds of the equation.

• Like 5

I wasn't paying much attention tonight, there wasn't really a lot that grabbed me. Angelico looked good. I was occupied but the women's match looked good too. Callis was extremely annoying but that was his job. Eddie got cut off way way too soon. JR just had to reference Killer Karl Kox when he saw a brainbuster *sigh*

Re: The Acclaimed, anybody rapping themselves to the ring is an instant turnoff to me. One of those guys looks like Baby John Cena too. Also, why does a new boombox look like a PA monitor? 

1. Really surprised to see Hardy Party win the opener, but since Hangman's whole story has always been about losing at first it was probably stupid to expect them to win.
2. Cody just couldn't let Mox and Reneé be the only new parents, couldn't he?
3. Cody-Darby-Taz-Sting felt shoehorned in just so that you wouldn't forget there's a story here.
4. I know that Archer and Eddie have a reason to be pissed about one another, but Archer still feels like he doesn't belong in this feud between Kingston, Butcher, Blade and Death Triangle - but it could also lead to Archer vs. Fenix, Penta or Pac and all three of these pairings should be awesome. Also some great visuals with Archer looking down on Pac.
5. Jericho was just smiling all over to wrestle Pillman Jr. and comparing Jericho physique from interview to mid-match I guess... Jericho really held his breath hard in the Interview trying to make it look like he still had a six pack.
6. I don't know if on purpose or not (probaly just not executed well) but I thought it's fitting that Hagers F10 looks like shit.
7. SCU, Acclaimed and their diss-rapping, man. If this was WWE I would tell you that segments like this are the reason I stopped watching WWE. Cringey unnatural mic-work followed by a nothing of a match. At least the young team won, even though the Acclaimed to nothing for me and it seems AEW is also steering into disbanding SCU, so that's something.
8. Speaking of acts that do nothing for me... I just don't care for Big Swole. I like the look of Ivelisse and Diamante but I don't really see a place for a women's tag team in AEW at the moment. Texas Cloverleaf looked gnarly as soon as Swole stepped on the back.
9. I want FTR vs. Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus!!!
10. Main Event was there. I like how AEW tries to make sure to tie up loose ends here.

I thought the show started fine with Hangman/Dark Order-Hardy Party, Cody-Angelico and Kingston-Archer-Pac but after that the show went kinda downhill and just lacked the energy you grew accostumed to.
Saving grace for this time of nothingness: AEW at least makes sure that everything has some kind of purpose, some young lions get to shine (still, I just don't want to see Acclaimed) and they set up future matches or progress storylines. Nevertheless, lots of bland stuff today.

Edited by MrKothoga
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just thought about this, that hold that Angelico had Cody in that Ex called a Negro Navarro hold, was that the Swastika? Because I took one look at it and said "yeah you better not call it what it is on TV" haha

To the best of my knowledge, this is what La Suastica looks like

Hy-8ST5_QSAEsIZiG6WzQ7eSTz4yIY6Cp32W_3FI

31 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

3) Congrats to Cody and Brandi. (And, technically, there were three people in Cody's entourage today).

Controversial. ?

Definitely a blah episode but we're getting Kenny vs. Fenix on the 30th so something very nice to look forward to. Give them 20-25 and let 'em run wild.

They did the Jericho jealousy bit over the NYT recognition. That was good.

I mean, I laughed at the cuck line even if the delivery wasn't great. CD being a CD was pretty spot on too. I dig a Men on a Mission reference. That could've been much worse. But yes, overall, it felt a little off and nothing of any note happened other than Janela almost breaking Kenny's face with that butt drop from the top through the table on the outside. Yeesh. Kenny rockin' the Wrestlemania tan and thankfully growing out his hair. 

Deadlock have been hammering the Seven "is a stupid gimmick" line for a long time so I laughed pretty hard when Dustin said that exact same line 20+ years later. 

Thank you for not having a commercial break in your main event. I appreciate it.

Edit: yes, i too was saddened to see the Good, The Bad, and The Hungee lose their first match but if anybody deserves the wait and see approach it's Hangmin Adam.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

Good stuff with Serena/Swole/Diamonte/Ivelisse. I like that we're getting a direction with the heels aligning with Vickie and Nyla and the faces uniting with Velvet. Also, I definitely prefer the Clearwater Cloverleaf as a finisher over the inconsistent Dirty Dancing. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a massive upgrade.

Fuck, I had never seen the Seven entrance in WCW somehow. It looked so awesome even if the gimmick is legitimately dumb and ridiculous. I don't care. Then he immediately shoots on it. man, WCW '99-'00 was a trip. I want to watch that and TNA in time.

• Like 2

The birth announcement struck me as smarmy. It came off like these are one of those pair on Facebook that are gonna post so many pics of their kids you will just block seeing their posts. It's in character though, and also a nice contrast with the Moxleys, where Jon didn't say shit and Renee blabbed about it by mistake. Totally different personalities. 

• Like 2

Another fun show that felt more like a glimpse of the future than anything else. Sammy and Top Flight stood out the most in the 12-man tag. Sammy is such a future star and Top Flight are going to one day own the tag division.

The Acclaimed are another team that I feel like are future stars. Of the five people I mentioned so far, I have no idea how WWE missed on all of them, especially the dudes in the Acclaimed. They're not super workers or anything, but they're competent enough and really good on the mic.

Kaz turning on CD is long overdue. Someone else said it last week, but Kaz would be a perfect midcard gatekeeper.

The women's tag match was atrocious. Diamante and Ivalise are just fucking bad. When you're in a match with Big Swole and Swole isn't the worst person in the match then you really suck.

I thought the reveal of Brandi's pregnancy was cute. It's funny, two or three weeks ago when she was attacked I started to wonder if she was pregnant. At the time it seemed like a good way to write her out of the show, but the she had that interview with Shaq. Guess my initial intuition was right. And then Cody and Angelico put on a perfectly good match. I'd like to see some sort of decent push for Angelico, but I'm a sucker for submission wizards.

I really liked the 6-man tag with The Good, The Bad, and The Hungy vs Hardy Party. I'm somewhat surprised that Hardy Party won. Actually, I'm kinda sick of Hardy winning. I just don't want any sort of meaningful push for Matt Hardy in 2020. Dude should be putting over guys like Sammy, Silver, Hangman, and even Reynolds and he just keeps winning.

When the main event started I looked at my watch and I think that's the latest a Dynamite main event has started. I figured then that it was going to be a squash and that's exactly what it was. I'm glad that Pac went back to his unfinished business with Kenny. CONTINUITY! Kenny and Fenix are going to tear it up or Fenix is going to kill himself 5 minutes in.

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

These fetuses are being set up for a blood feud. If Jean(ne) Moxley-Paquette ever jobs to Augdustus/Dustiny Rhodes, we riot.

689581-delta-parker-mini_Without_BG.png?

WWF Rage In The Cage - WWE Games & Wrestling Games Database

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

They'll lose a semi-competitive match against the Bucks and then go back to Dark obscurity for the most part I'm guessing. 

I am fine with them pushing these kids into prominent matches here and there, especially during that awkward period after a PPV but before they start building to the next PPV or big TV special.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They'll lose a semi-competitive match against the Bucks and then go back to Dark obscurity for the most part I'm guessing. 

I am fine with them pushing these kids into prominent matches here and there, especially during that awkward period after a PPV but before they start building to the next PPV or big TV special.

Yep, I like them, so I’m kind of bummed that’s the path they’re obviously going.

But getting a tag title match on tv a couple months after Tony Khan made you a tag team isn’t the worst thing in the world.

And they both have the charisma/it factor, so they’ll be back.