DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - 2021 SPRING & OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Kansas went to the Orange Bowl and finished in the Top 10 in 2007! They had a run of respectability in the years around that season.  They can be a competent football member, they’ve just been horribly mismanaged for the past decade.

17 minutes ago, EVA said:

They could very well elect not to expand, but if they move, they’ll go to 16. And I do think Notre Dame will be a big piece of that. If you get ND football, then Kansas basketball as a throw-in just makes too much sense, for the reasons I gave. It gets a little harder to find a second team that’s worth it without Notre Dame, if B1G is going to strictly adhere to their concept of what “a B1G school” is.

I can guarantee you that Kansas isn’t getting left without a P4 dance partner when this dosey-doe is over, though.

If the Big 10 adds Notre Dame they'll ditch divisions and have the two teams with the best record play in the conference championship game, having an even number of teams is no longer needed. 

I suppose we’ll see. Lots of moving pieces here. I’ll just say that “4 of 16” is not just speculation. That’s a narrative that’s kept alive from the top, because consolidating power in that form makes sense to the powerbrokers in major college athletics—and, just in terms of football, fits very neatly into their vision of the future of the CFB playoff.

But again, it’s not just about football, and there is no vision of a consolidated future where Kansas is not in one of the P4 conferences.  They will be taken care of, whether that’s by the B1G or the ACC or Pac-Whatever making a weird play to clean up whatever useful remnants of the Big 12 are left (or to lock in regional partners for Texas/OU if the SEC deal doesn’t happen—and we’re hearing today that other conferences are already in Texas/OU’s collective ear).

I’ll put it this way: This is all about consolidating $$$. Are the P4 conferences really going to sit back and watch Kansas make deep runs in the NCAA tournament on a regular basis and and then carry those bags of cash off to the AAC or the smoldering husk of the Big 12 or, I dunno, the fucking Horizon League?

Fuck no, they’re not. They want that money in their pockets. And somebody will reach down to pick it up, even if they have to hold their nose during football season to do it.

Edited by EVA

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Kansas went to the Orange Bowl and finished in the Top 10 in 2007! They had a run of respectability in the years around that season.  They can be a competent football member, they’ve just been horribly mismanaged for the past decade.

They were 12-1! The won the Orange Bowl that year.  It's kinda like the midwest version of Oregon State's 2000 (where they might have been the best team in the country) and Rutgers's 2006 where they started 9-0 and finished 11-2.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I’ll put it this way: This is all about consolidating $$$. Are the P4 conferences really going to sit back and watch Kansas make deep runs in the NCAA tournament on a regular basis and and then carry those bags of cash off to the AAC or the smoldering husk of the Big 12 or, I dunno, the fucking Horizon League?

Fuck no, they’re not. They want that money in their pockets. And somebody will reach down to pick it up, even if they have to hold their nose during football season to do it.

That makes sense, the PAC12 has always made rumblings about adding teams in the central time zone, maybe they pull Kansas, Ok State and Texas Tech from Big 12 leftovers, then tack on UNLV, New Mexico or Houston to get to 16. All the teams on the coast in one division and the mountain/plains teams in the other.

Edited by Mister TV

3 hours ago, EVA said:

To your point, Illinois fans are still bitter at Bill Self leaving for Kansas. I’m pretty sure some of them would kill for a chance to theoretically beat them twice a year in basketball if they move to the B1G. So for that reason alone, Illinois/Kansas would make for a good basketball rivalry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Those 2-3 years under Mangino (which ended with him getting fired for abusing his players)  The normal state of KU football hovers somewhere between "benign neglect" and "active buffoonery."

Kansas also still has the Adidas investigation (plus whatever else falls out about the Les Miles era) hanging over their heads.

8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Those 2-3 years under Mangino (which ended with him getting fired for abusing his players)  The normal state of KU football hovers somewhere between "benign neglect" and "active buffoonery."

Kansas also still has the Adidas investigation (plus whatever else falls out about the Les Miles era) hanging over their heads.

Kansas being good at football seems like a legitimate basis for an NCAA investigation, because nothing at all says that is something that should happen without some sort of misconduct.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Kansas being good at football seems like a legitimate basis for an NCAA investigation, because nothing at all says that is something that should happen without some sort of misconduct.

2007 was a crazy and weird season! Michigan lost to Appalachian State, Pitt saved everyone from seeing West Virginia in the National Championship Game, Hawaii went to the Sugar Bowl! Cal, Boston College, Kansas, and West Virginia all were ranked #2 at one point, and Missouri was #1 for a week! 

7 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

2007 was a crazy and weird season! Michigan lost to Appalachian State, Pitt saved everyone from seeing West Virginia in the National Championship Game, Hawaii went to the Sugar Bowl! Cal, Boston College, Kansas, and West Virginia all were ranked #2 at one point, and Missouri was #1 for a week! 

All of that sounds a lot more fun right about now than the current Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State/Oklahoma status quo.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

2007 was a crazy and weird season! Pitt saved everyone from seeing West Virginia in the National Championship 

From time to time, the wacky conspiracy theory that coach Rich Rodriguez threw the game to get out of his contract comes up on social media.  RichRod quit WVU a few weeks later to become the head coach at Michigan.  It was basically a disastrous move for him.  Anyway, I'm still not quite sure how this was supposed to work, but the idea seems to be that Rodriguez became convinced that he would have to go elsewhere to win a national title.  If WVU played in the national title game and won, the school would probably have thrown money at Rich and he would have felt compelled to stay (because.....?_).  So he threw the game to avoid winning the national title so he could go to a prestige school where he could win the national title he couldn't at WVU. 

Ugh.  Now I have a headache.   This is like that episode of Futurama where Fry went back in time, had sex with his grandmother, and became his own grandfather.  The real explanation is that we have a lot of hillbilly fans who are toxic in their fandom and not good at critical reasoning.  Although that's my opinion of most rabid fanbases.

Anyway. not thrilled by the prospect WVU ends up in the Pac-20 or whatever it would be called, but I'm not sure what our options are with the other power conferences.  We'll see,

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, EVA said:

They could very well elect not to expand, but if they move, they’ll go to 16. And I do think Notre Dame will be a big piece of that. If you get ND football, then Kansas basketball as a throw-in just makes too much sense, for the reasons I gave. It gets a little harder to find a second team that’s worth it without Notre Dame, if B1G is going to strictly adhere to their concept of what “a B1G school” is.

I can guarantee you that Kansas isn’t getting left without a P4 dance partner when this dosey-doe is over, though.

I thought that after last season being something of a trial run for Notre Dame joining the ACC that we would have been even closer to that being a reality, but it sounds like Swarbrick and others at ND are right back to sticking their heels in with being an independent. I don't think they give a shit about the CFP changes either. They just don't care.

All of the special relationships with other schools like USC or Navy or whatever used to mean a lot to me as a fan. Then I got older and I don't give a shit anymore. I'd rather ND be part of the ACC because I couldn't give a shit about playing USC or Navy anymore.

So the Big 12 is dead, right?  I mean, it probably was anyway, but calling out a TV partner can't possibly end well.  Even if Bowlsby is completely correct here, so what?  At the end of the day, he's got a crippled league and a tv partner that's suddenly become an agitator (and maybe an enemy).  

Calling out your tv partner doesn't seem likely to lead to much except said tv partner blackballing you from their network when the tv contract expires - assuming they don't decide to void or buy their way out of the contract early.  Not really a good idea.  Big 12 needs ESPN a lot more than ESPN needs them at the moment.

Edited by Eoae

Texas' Board of Regents voted this morning to formally accept the SEC invitation

Oklahoma's Board of Regents is meeting today so their approval should also be announced soon

On 7/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, Tabe said:

They were 12-1! The won the Orange Bowl that year.  It's kinda like the midwest version of Oregon State's 2000 (where they might have been the best team in the country) and Rutgers's 2006 where they started 9-0 and finished 11-2.

All because...

unnamed (2).jpg

• Like 1