DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - 2021 SPRING & OFFSEASON

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, EVA said:

You have to hand it to college football for figuring out a way to make people mad about expanding the playoff.

I think the choices were odd. I'm not terribly mad about it. The things I would change about it are really the following.

1) Neutral Site for round 2 (you're punishing the top 4 teams for getting a bye and not giving them the extra revenue of a home game that the other 4 received)

2) Eliminate Automatic Qualifiers. There are going to be years where the "conference champion" is a 3-4 loss team and not among the top 12. That shouldn't be rewarded.

3) I don't think a Group of 5 team should be automatic. I think they should get in most years, but you probably need to have some kind of loss cap on who that team is (no more than 1-2 losses).

• Like 1

In what's sure not to enter the "start as a joke, but then become a problem in the future" category , an individual has won the right to name a bowl after themself.  

So, on December 18th the #1 Mountain West team and the #5 Pac 12 team will go to SoFi Stadium and play in...

Jimmy_Kimmel_LA_Bowl.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Of note, Kavanagh in his scathing opinion, has also opened the door to basically destroying the NCAA completely.  Saying other restrictions put on the student athletes (which are not under consideration here), probably violate anti-trust law:

?

This will be the only good thing Kavanaugh ever does as a SC justice.

Fuck the NCAA. Fuck the stupid 12 team playoff. This is beyond dumb. It's nearly enough to make me say, you know what, 35 years of watching college football is probably enough for me, I think this is a good stopping point.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Of note, Kavanagh in his scathing opinion, has also opened the door to basically destroying the NCAA completely.  Saying other restrictions put on the student athletes (which are not under consideration here), probably violate anti-trust law:

?

Can we scroll back up to that "Worst person you know makes a good point" meme?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My immediate fear is that colleges and universities will jack up their admission costs more than they already are to "compensate" for the additional stipends they'll wind up having to give student athletes. I have no idea how founded that idea is, but it's a concern I have.

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My immediate fear is that colleges and universities will jack up their admission costs more than they already are to "compensate" for the additional stipends they'll wind up having to give student athletes. I have no idea how founded that idea is, but it's a concern I have.

The way the opinion is written it basically says "yeah, what you're giving these kids is laughably not enough, and don't ask us for antitrust protection again."  What it could lead to is...  Well, let's say Alabama selects 10 members on its football team for a paid internship where they follow Nick Saban around to learn about "leadership."  The NCAA says, "no, you can't do that."   

Well, SCOTUS would be very interested in that case.

• Thanks 1

I want to phrase this carefully because I in no way want to be misconstrued as supporting the NCAA over the players, because lol no. 

But, if NCAA players start getting paid, doesn't it have to have some kind of significant impact on players transferring about? That seems like it's actually been a pretty key recruiting tool for a lot of schools who pick up guys that can't quite crack it as a starter at the biggest schools. Will there be contractual issues with that sort of movement in the future?

And to not be glib about my answer (because we probably see eye to eye on this in the forest-for-the-trees argument you're making) but ... we'll see?  

The main thing here is how schools structure compensation.  I believe a minor cannot sign a legally binding contract (on their own - but can with an adult, which is a whole other problem), so the question becomes that since you cannot compel an athlete to perform for your school (again, for an absolute myriad of reasons), how do you do pay-for-play?  

My *guess* is it would work something along the lines of Work Study financial aid, where a student gets paid for the time they put in to their respective sport.  Who gets paid what for how long, is a big Pandora's box.  But...  one thing that will moderate everything, is that students of all genders will probably need to be paid equally.  And, of course, "equally" in that sentence will need to not only carry a lot of weight, but, also be extremely flexible.  

TL;DR answer: 

42991419.jpg

• Like 1

This thing is just going to be a total mess, isn't it? Like, we're going to get college football players making a mess of money while women's softball or soccer players get, like, a $10 gift card to Starbucks.

Adding to the mess is the various revenue streams players are gonna get from their likeness, autographs, etc.  There’s gonna be a bunch of people getting into trouble with their taxes over that. 

whole buncha cans of worms here, but they’re cans that should’ve been opened and dealt with years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well we expected this kind of response from coaches after today's decision that athletes a little more control over their money in college

All I can say to Dabo is good luck with that.  If he doesn't like working with college kids getting $1000 imagine dealing with NFL players getting $1000 a minute 

• Like 1

There are a lot of folks (I see Jay Bilas leading the charge) of wanting it to be retroactive and give Bush and Michigan (basketball) everything back. So if you are wondering where it is coming from - a lot is media driven (as per usual)

One of the early "hot takes" is how this will change how kids select schools as some will "want to select schools that have a big influencer at them so that the HS kid can glom on to their followers, etc and build their brand"

I'm curious to see whether this actually causes folks stay in school another year rather than leave early and not get drafted.  Guess it probably depends on the individual and whether they're getting any real money from it.