DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - 2021 SPRING & OFFSEASON

RIPPA

This could go in a couple of threads but I will put it here

Apparently LSU is considering Mark Emmert to be their next President (the interim President announced he was removing himself as a candidate for family reasons)

So clearly Emmert is gonna do everything he can to not pay athletes including leaving his job

Changes going forward per the Rules Committee:

• Teams will have to go for 2-point conversions after touchdowns during the 2nd overtime period (was previously the 3rd OT).
  • Starting with the 3rd OT, teams will go straight to dueling 2-point conversion attempts (was previously the 5th).
  • Coaches who enter the field of play to debate officials will get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.
  • Scoreboard operators are now prohibited from creating distractions to obstruct play (I assume things like Minnesota running the "dramatic chipmunk" video at opposing kickers).

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

Changes going forward per the Rules Committee:

• Coaches who enter the field of play to debate officials will get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Having just watched the episode of Last Chance U where the coach gets booted for coming on to the field and arguing, I'm shocked this hadn't happened sooner.  Way too many guys coming 5-10 yards onto the field to do nothing but scream at the refs. 

I do want to see those dueling 2-pt attempts.  That should make things a lot quicker and fun. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EVA said:

It looks like Army’s Jeff Monken is a finalist for the Kansas job, and I hope above hope that the Jayhawks are running the triple next season and driving the Big 12 insane.

That would be awesome. If you are likely going to suck, at least make life miserable for the opposing defense coordinator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Kansas has hired Buffalo's Lance Leipold to replace Les Miles as HC

Sure, the last coach they hired from Buffalo was a disaster, but what are the odds of that happening twice?

• Haha 1

Bama just picked up former Tennessee stud LB Henry To’oTo’o on a transfer.  Immediately fills the void left by Dylan Moses and probably gives Bama the best LB corps in the country.  And, boy, are they going to need a lights-out defense with all the losses on offense.

Of course, they also picked up an Ohio State transfer receiver to help out with that too.

Im glad the players have more freedom to move around now, but these new transfer rules are making it too easy for Saban to just keep dominating forever.

There is word going around that former Hawaii great QB Colt Brennan (who had a cup of coffee with Washington in the NFL) has passed away at the age of 37

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There is word going around that former Hawaii great QB Colt Brennan (who had a cup of coffee with Washington in the NFL) has passed away at the age of 37

So sad. That Hawaii team was late Saturday night appointment TV, especially with him putting up video game numbers (5549 yards, 58 TDs vs 12 INTs, 186.0 rating in 2006) and figuratively carrying the entire state on his back. RIP.

• Sad 2

Brennan's father told ESPN Colt tried to check himself into rehab yesterday but was turned away because the facility didn't have a spare bed.  Apparently he "ingested something laced with fentanyl" a couple hours later.

• Sad 4

For a little more context, Brennan has had a very difficult time since leaving college.  He tried to catch on in the NFL but got injured.  He was then in a horrendous car wreck with his girlfriend that led to substance addictions and run-ins with the law.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oklahoma and Nebraska are all emo because their rivalry game has been given a Noon kickoff (11 AM local)

CURSE YOU TV PARTNERS~!

Clearly they haven't actually followed their own teams the last decade

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd find that reaction impossible to believe if I didn't once date somebody who's parents did essentially the same thing.

Almost glad my school has never had a legendary coach.  Bear Bryant trying to murder his players via heat stroke in the 50s doesn't count.  RC Slocum winning a bunch of games in the pathetic SWC doesn't count, and he was known to be a piece of shit when he was coaching anyway.  Jackie Sherrill is probably A&M's best coach of my lifetime, and being a piece of shit is his defining character trait.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

I'd find that reaction impossible to believe if I didn't once date somebody who's parents did essentially the same thing.

Almost glad my school has never had a legendary coach.  Bear Bryant trying to murder his players via heat stroke in the 50s doesn't count.  RC Slocum winning a bunch of games in the pathetic SWC doesn't count, and he was known to be a piece of shit when he was coaching anyway.  Jackie Sherrill is probably A&M's best coach of my lifetime, and being a piece of shit is his defining character trait.

Pitt fan here, has there been any reports of Sherrill being part of cover-up's like Paterno and Bo? Sure he castrated a bull in front of his players to somehow motivate them, did the same shady recruiting tactics everyone else did(he really didn't do anything that bad at Pitt) and fired Jimmy Johnson during halftime of a bowl game, but those things can't be compared to what Paterno and Bo did.

I live in the Detroit area and the local press had their head pretty buried in the sand concerning the Bo cover-up story, so much of it was hidden behind paywalls.

13 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Pitt fan here, has there been any reports of Sherrill being part of cover-up's like Paterno and Bo? Sure he castrated a bull in front of his players to somehow motivate them, did the same shady recruiting tactics everyone else did(he really didn't do anything that bad at Pitt) and fired Jimmy Johnson during halftime of a bowl game, but those things can't be compared to what Paterno and Bo did.

I live in the Detroit area and the local press had their head pretty buried in the sand concerning the Bo cover-up story, so much of it was hidden behind paywalls.

I certainly don't know of anything at THAT level (That famous Paterno quote couldn't be more ironic) but he definitely brought, or perfected maybe, the sleaze at A&M.  I loved him as a coach, though.  He brought an energy to the program that disappeared for a long time after he left.

Slocum, oddly enough, was the one with the sexual improprieties, though it was more Bobby Petrino level.

Regarding the expanded playoff - to the surprise of no one the format of a 12 team playoff will be

Teams seeded 1-4 get 1st round bye

Teams 5-8 will host teams 9-12 in 1st round

He is the part that is gonna make me laugh forever - Notre Dame and Independents can not receive 1st Round Bye

• Haha 1