DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - 2021 SPRING & OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Saban loves Butch.  I think he’s a good coach and he’ll do well there and eventually be back at a big job.  It’s becoming more and more clear that modern Tennessee is not a place you can win big anymore, and Butch still had back-to-back 9-win seasons there.

So, the name you’re going to hear the loudest from Auburn fans is Hugh Freeze, but that’s a pipe dream.  The SEC wouldn’t even let Bama hire him as an assistant a few years back; they’re not gonna let Auburn hire him as their head man.  He’s never going to be an SEC HC again.

Another name you’ll hear is Mario Cristobal, and it would be hard to hire a better name than him.  He was a big time contributor during his time at Bama, and he’s been a successful HC at Oregon.  Question is, would he be willing to leave the catbird seat in the PAC-12 to jump into the bear cage with Saban.

The REAL name to watch:  Billy Napier from Louisiana.   Obviously an up and coming commodity.   Pulled his name from consideration at South Carolina a week ago.  Just so happens to be repped by Jimmy Sexton, Malzahn’s agent.  It’s entirely possible he was smartened up from the inside that this was going to happen.  Sexton is THE power broker in southern college football.  He’s just moving his pieces around the board.

Edited by EVA

It's time for this. Too many people are getting fired and rumorz~ abounding.  

Reminder, D-II (or "FCS" - which still sounds like a high school division system to me) begins play in late February. 

Auburn’s fascination with Hugh Freeze is interesting to me.  Yes, he’s a good coach, and, culturally, he’s a great fit.  He’s a fake Christian who will really sell the “God and Family” angle that has always been so important to Auburn.

But what were his accomplishments at Ole Miss, really?  His main claim to fame is the two wins (in five years) against Saban.  He never set foot in the SEC title game.

And, look, I know that beating Alabama is of paramount importance to Auburn, but if they wanted someone who could win 40% of their games against Saban while occasionally backdooring their way into an embarrassing loss in a lesser NY6 bowl, they could’ve just kept Gus.

But I assume they want someone who can get them over the hump, and I don’t see how Freeze is that guy.  He’s just a Gus Who Fucks.

Edited by EVA

On 12/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, RIPPA said:

Art Briles and Liberty truly is a match made in Hell

Imagine Art Briles in Liberty still run by Jerry Fallwell Jr.   Man any woman within 5 miles of a football player on that campus would need to carry a taser 

By the way are there are any conferences left that are still doing spring football I guess under the year of 2020? 

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 1

Mario Cristobal finally got his extension at Oregon, so it would *seem* that he’s off the table for Auburn, for the moment.

Lots and lots of rumblingz that Auburn will go internal and promote current DC/interim HC Kevin Steele to permanent HC.  He is apparently well liked by a lot of prominent boosters, and obviously his defense has been one of the few consistent bright spots of the latter day Malzahn era.

Would be quite something to pay your old coach $21 million to go away just so you could promote the DC, though. I don’t think that would go over well with the rank-and-file Auburn fans, even if the money bags are happy.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Would be quite something to pay your old coach $21 million to go away just so you could promote the DC, though. I don’t think that would go over well with the rank-and-file Auburn fans, even if the money bags are happy.

It was a cute idea when we were at peak disdain a year or two ago, and the defense was the thing that saved us a bit. Even then, it was not a good idea. Auburn has never been in a position in terms of a coaching search to be the best open job in the country, and the powers that be will squander it. It sounds like Freeze may not be interested in Auburn because of his friendship with Malzahn also probably seeing how our fanbase can be on Twitter (#FreeSharife BTW). 

The Auburn power brokers have a special gift at making things a giant mess sadly, and this could just set Auburn football back a decade. 

In potentially catastrophic news for Hawaii, Aloha Stadium has been deemed unsafe to hold crowds of any size and is now facing condemnation. This also means the Hawaii Bowl won't take place for the duration. They will supposedly have a new stadium ready for 2023, but until then the Rainbows are facing an uphill battle as no other stadium on the islands meets the NCAA's attendance requirements for FBS programs.