DVDVR Message Board

TNAEW Dynamite - 12/9/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I think I’m the low voter on the Abadon segment. I think she is fine. She actually works like her character should, and I like that. What I don’t like is Shida acting scared of her. Shida is the champ. She should be above being scared of some horror cosplay. Like I said, it’s not an issue with Abadon to me. Just have her violently destroy jobber and eventually a bigger name before she gets to Shida. She can be treated as a serious threat, but not as “spooky”. 

• Like 2

I thought the Inner Circle segment was hilarious. Ortiz killed it and then Hager and Wardlow cracked me up.

The wardrobe for Jake Roberts and Miro are wild. Jake Roberts looked like Florida Man while Miro is leaning HARD into looking like eastern Euro bad guys.

I really, really don't want to see Cody vs Sting. I'm not sure I want to see old ass Sting vs anybody, but I do like Sting being around. I like Cody, but I don't understand why he needs to be part of whatever Sting is doing AND this thing with Shaq.

Bucks and TH2 was awesome and the best Jack Evans has looked in AEW. I legit thought TH2 were going to win.

Hangman is tagging with Silver and Reynolds and I'm fucking here for it.

Controversial opinion - this is the best version of Kenny Omega. From a character standpoint, this is the best he's ever been. It does bug me that the Bucks are still like, "Kenny is still our best friend." PICK A SIDE, AND NOT KENNY'S SIDE! Your real friend is Hangman you asshats and now Hangman has to tag with Silver and Reynolds.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show a lot as usual. Nothing blew me away, but it was all good.

• Like 3

Fun night of wrestling. I like TH2 and not just because my quarantine hair looks just like Angelico's regular hair. The Bucks are at their best when they getting to the point and they got there in this one too. I like Max Caster and Anthony Bowens seems good too, it's cool to see them get some air time until a more serious challenger comes along. 

6-man was a bit of a mess. Penta's legit injured, Pac is absent, and Fenix bonked himself on a dive. The heels getting heat on Archer is an odd choice, maybe it would have come off better if Fenix could have finished things properly. Bad luck going around this angle which is a shame because I'm big into it.

Main event was overbooked but they pulled it off. MJF is so good, his in ring work is underrated because he's such a good promo. Miro threw that guy off the stage like a Mortal Kombat fatality. I'd like the Best Friends/Miro and Kip feud to progress in some way now, the sooner we get through it the sooner Miro can ditch the dork. A Miro/OC match would be quite interesting too, although Cassidy can't seem to catch a break these days.

• Like 3

I knew that last week would be a step down compared to mutherfuckin' Sting and Kenny winning the title.  But the show was fun yet what kept bugging me was how much they packed into the episode.  It normally is good but with it being taped last week there were so many camera cuts that it was jarring.  I know they're trying to tie things up to finish the year but it was a bit too much going on that magically fit into 2 hours.

Aside from that I liked the show.  I hope Tony doesn't do the Sting yell all the time but for that segment it was really, really sweet.  Heck it made me realize I still need to do something about this allergy.  And the matches themselves were pretty good.

I do think AEW does tend to overdo it with the post-match brawls. I recall one show in November they had like some sort of brawl after every match on Dynamite. I get they want to advance storylines for everyone but just let a couple matches end and don't have to do some sort of post-match brawl for every single one.

• Like 1

Great chaotic vibe tonight. Nothing in AEW happens in a vacuum and that's what's so interesting about it. 

I mostly wanted to talk fashion, but have been well and truly beaten to that punch. Not enough love for Dark Order's cowboy hats with store tags still on them though ??

The first Orange Punch that connected with MJF made a beautiful, satisfying sound. So good! Loved Miro looking like an absolute monster, more of this please! 

Was the bit between 10 and Aaron Solow at ringside a continuation from Dark? Well that's just lovely! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Public Service Announcement: go watch Miami Vice from the beginning, maybe skip the last season.  It is a great, very dark show and nowhere near the 80s cheese that revisionist history would have you believe. 

Man I wish they showed it in syndication somewhere like so many other shows. Who owns the rights? Is it on Prime or Netflix? I missed it when I was a kid (didn't even know who Michael Mann was) and don't even remember what channel it was on. 

Same goes for Crime Story. My dad loved that when it was on. 

Loved the stretch run in the main event, especially Bryce's fury at knowing Miro did SOMETHING to OC behind his back but "he can't call what he can't see" so he was forced to count the pin. They elevated OC, MJF and Miro all at once which is quite the trick.

• Like 1

Shit that is pretty impressive. Also 2nd in demo (18-49) and tied 3rd best all time in the demo. They seem to be steadily onwards and upwards and reaping the dividends for consistent entertainment and intrigue. 

Btw a highlight of the week is seeing what reaction gif @Andy in Kansaspulls out in response to the ratings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This week felt like last in that the pacing was high and it was packed but nothing felt stuffed in or cobbled together without thought. Sticking two tag matches back-to-back might have appeared to be a mis-step on the face of it but they were different and (if I recall) we got the Sting hug and Taz reaction in between. Seeing the Varsity Blondes in the mix with FTR was a highlight, those guys have that rookie underdog charm and are starting to get into their groove.
TH2 were crazy though Angelico doing his finishing submission on Matt’s injured leg should have either been a quick tap to fight another day or a very quick save by Nick, not the swanton, to highlight the jeopardy. OC/MJF was good stuff as expected as was all the Kenny cockiness.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3

Risk aside, Kenny arriving in the helicopter is the best.  The gross opulence just screams WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION~! and it is totally fucking great.  There should be minstrels and women ahead of him throwing rose petals at his feet.  I am a mark for champions that are treated like royalty because it makes the title seem important.

I was always hoping that we'd have another Learjet riding, kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' world champion, but I never thought it would be Kenny fucking Omega.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I feel like this cements AEW as a force in cable television. They are routinely in the top 2 for Wednesday nights. TNT has to be very pleased with these results. 

Also, I hate to dig up old controversial DVDVR and WO topics but Sting is a proven draw. Look at the numbers. Look at the merch sales. Just because WCW was in the dumps for a couple years in the early 90s because of dumb management means nothing to his legacy. He was the guy that everyone needed in the nWo angle. That doesn't work without the Stinger. 

Sting is an icon.

• Like 12

It will be really interesting to see the NBA impact. On one hand, preemptions are a struggle, but on the other, they should have great lead-in's some weeks. And I totally expect TNT to do some crossover stuff between Inside the NBA and AEW given that the latter has established itself, I think, as their second biggest property.

Imagine the Dark Order on set with Earnie, Kenny and Shaq. Just some buff guys, hangin out, talkin about the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

AEW 995k
NXT 659k 

Dynamite would be doing over 1.5 million viewers easy if there wasn't NXT on USA. I don't think WWE is going to even budge from that slot for that reason. How many WWE C-shows were taken off TV and moved to just Network exclusive or International exclusive or just dropped all together in the past decade or so. 

If AEW didn't have opposition and the Pandemic never happened they'd probably be closer to 2.0 million viewers by now

• Like 3