DVDVR Message Board

UFC 256: Figueiredo vs. Moreno (12/12/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

EoVo7tOU0AAO4kv.jpeg?1607025813

UFC 256: Figueiredo vs. Moreno
December 12, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

UFC Flyweight Championship: Deiveson Alcântara © (124.5) vs. Brandon Moreno (second defense) (124.5) - DRAW (majority)
Tony Ferguson (155) vs. Charles Oliveira (154.5) - Oliveira, DEC (unanimous)
Mackenzie Dern (115) vs. Virna Jandiroba (115) - Dern, DEC (unanimous)
Kevin Holland (185) vs. Ronaldo Souza (185.5) - Holland, KO (punches), R1 (1:45)
Junior dos Santos (246.5) vs. Ciryl Gané (247.5) - Gané, TKO (punches and elbows), R2 (2:34)

ESPN2/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Cub Swanson (145) vs. Daniel Pineda (145.5) - Swanson, KO (punches), R2 (1:52)
Renato Carneiro (155) vs. Rafael Fiziev (155.5) - Fiziev, KO (punch), R1 (4:05)
Gavin Tucker (146) vs. Billy Quarantillo (145.5) - Tucker, DEC (unanimous)
Tecia Torres (115.5) vs. Sam Hughes (115.5) - Torres, TKO (doctor stoppage), R1 (5:00)

ESPN2/ESPN+/Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Chase Hooper (145.5) vs. Peter Barrett (145.5) - Hooper, SUB (heel hook), R3 (3:02)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Rafael Fiziev
Performance of the Night: Kevin Holland
Fight of the Night: Deiveson Alcântara vs. Brandon Moreno

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

On 12/9/2020 at 12:15 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

UFC Flyweight Championship: Deiveson Alcântara © (124.5) vs. Brandon Moreno (second defense) (124.5) -

Normally this would not be impressive but Figueiredo won the title five months ago and is defending it again less than a month from his first defense.

Dude is a fucking monster.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Normally this would not be impressive but Figueiredo won the title five months ago and is defending it again less than a month from his first defense.

Dude is a fucking monster.

It's going to be interesting to see how UFC handles him should he win tonight because I doubt anyone at 125 does anything with him. I mean Moreno is a decent fighter, but my main gripe with him for the longest is he is basically playing pitty pat when he punches. He's really good at submissions and scrambling, but Figueiredo is one of the better fighters at that. There is levels to it. It's kinda tough to win a fight when your opponent is a much better at the thing you're strongest at. 

Besides Askar Askarov, I don't think there is really a capable challenger at 125 for Figueiredo.

I was really skeptical of Figueiredo early in UFC run because he came from the gym with the Marajo brothers, Iuri and Ildemar Alcantara (Deiveson is not related to them despite sharing the same last name oddly enough). His fighting style resembled Iuri since they were closer in weight (Iuri was at BW/FtrW/LW for most of his career while Ildemar always fought at 170/185 IIRC). Iuri ended up having a solid UFC run (he also had that upset of Ricardo Lamas on the last WEC show FWIW), but the problems he had were he was old as heck for a guy in a smaller weight class and he was clearly a frontrunner. The latter was the biggest of the two problems, and maybe the first played into the second problem when it comes to stamina. I dunno. Iuri was a damn good striker with some good power and great submissions, but his wrestling wasn't the strongest. Not only that, but he became a shrinking violet in fights that went longer than 9 or 10 minutes. So he basically became a guy at 135 who you didn't want to face on short notice, but not a real contender. Basically, he was a high level fringe contender. Figueiredo seems like a better, updated version of that, but he's also 32. If he was 22, I would be like, "Fuck, UFC found a new Jose Aldo." However, I feel like I need to temper my expectations knowing all that. He could clean out 125, which he already pretty much has done, and still just be another guy at 135 should he move up. Could he beat some of the more talented guys at bantamweight? I would like to find out should he indeed clean out 125.

• Like 2

The referee, lots of cornermen, Bruce Buffer, loads of people get to go in the Octagon with their shoes on. It's only really the fighters who go in there barefoot. But Megan Olivi was barefoot in there for some reason. So that was good.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's going to be interesting to see how UFC handles him should he win tonight because I doubt anyone at 125 does anything with him. I mean Moreno is a decent fighter, but my main gripe with him for the longest is he is basically playing pitty pat when he punches. He's really good at submissions and scrambling, but Figueiredo is one of the better fighters at that. There is levels to it. It's kinda tough to win a fight when your opponent is a much better at the thing you're strongest at. 

I don't have anything to add to this but I've always been really interested in Moreno's career.  I'm not sure what the actual odds were in many of his fights, but I've always seen him as the perennial underdog and his release from UFC to title contender has made for a captivating arc. I don't know what his path to victory is other than catching Figueiredo in a scramble, which is a tough ask for every reason you mentioned. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Setsuna said:

I don't have anything to add to this but I've always been really interested in Moreno's career.  I'm not sure what the actual odds were in many of his fights, but I've always seen him as the perennial underdog and his release from UFC to title contender has made for a captivating arc. I don't know what his path to victory is other than catching Figueiredo in a scramble, which is a tough ask for every reason you mentioned. 

His first UFC run was captivating going from low man on the totem pole on TUF to miracle submission UFC guy. However, it was clearly too much to soon. His skills hadn't developed enough. And again, his striking...like how many folks in UFC history stand up with their hands wide open like they're trying to parry punches the whole fight? I can think of some guys who have had their fingers extended out like Shogun or Jon Jones but they're muay thai guys. They're still clearly making fists. Moreno's style is just so unorthodox that it limits what he can do as a striker. The one LFA fight I saw him in and his second run in the UFC so far has been better, but not that much better. So for him, it's submissions or bust.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

His first UFC run was captivating going from low man on the totem pole on TUF to miracle submission UFC guy. However, it was clearly too much to soon. His skills hadn't developed enough. And again, his striking...like how many folks in UFC history stand up with their hands wide open like they're trying to parry punches the whole fight? I can think of some guys who have had their fingers extended out like Shogun or Jon Jones but they're muay thai guys. They're still clearly making fists. Moreno's style is just so unorthodox that it limits what he can do as a striker. The one LFA fight I saw him in and his second run in the UFC so far has been better, but not that much better. So for him, it's submissions or bust.

Yeah, I actually meant to start from TUF -> early elimination/short notice call up to the UFC while the show was still airing. 

• Like 1

Dern made this fight much closer than it had to be by going for takedowns. She was lighting Jandiroba up on the feet whenever she wanted. Why give the only fighter who has jiu-jitsu on your level an opportunity to win when you have another avenue for victory? The only time Dern was losing on the feet is when she was overly aggressive.

• Like 1