DVDVR Message Board

The old board had the annual Call of Duty thread, think this should but for all of them.

When I got my Xbox 360 Elite in September 2009, you had a choice of four games to go with it but the one I wanted, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare wasn't in. I got it at half-price a week after Christmas 2009. The wait was worth it as it's one of the best games I've played and the best FPS I've played.

My sister got me Call of Duty: Black Ops for Christmas 2010 and I didn't like it nearly as much as Modern Warfare. My sister got me Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Christmas 2011 and I enjoyed it a lot more, a shame the last two levels were the worst.

Last Christmas was the first time I asked not to get a Call of Duty game, Black Ops II. Right now I'm thinking of doing the same again with Ghosts as there are two, possibly three games I want to play more.

At some point, I might wan't to get around to playing Modern Warfare 2 so I've completed the three games in that series.

So thoughts on the franchise?

I've spent more time playing this franchise than any other. Didn't get into the early ones and got heavily into COD4. Played all of them after that. The appeal to me was the multiplayer. I only played through campaign on 4. It's an awesome franchise to me for fps online multiplayer but sadly I'm a bit burnt out on it. I don't plan on getting ghosts. I'm going to give Killzone a shot and see how that goes. Maybe Battlefield also. I just need a COD break and really they've all been a little redundant and the best maps were on the original modern warfare and mw2 in my opinion.

I've spent more time playing this franchise than any other. Didn't get into the early ones and got heavily into COD4. Played all of them after that. The appeal to me was the multiplayer. I only played through campaign on 4. It's an awesome franchise to me for fps online multiplayer but sadly I'm a bit burnt out on it.

That's pretty much the exact same thing i came here to post. I stuck around on the single player a little longer, Black Ops 2 is the only one i didn't play. MW1 and 2 were really the best 2 games for me in the series and i probably spent more time playing MW2 multi than any other game I've owned. I said i didn't plan on getting Black Ops 2 but broke down and brought it anyway but its the one I've played least. This time though i have no intention of getting it. While i don't plan on getting a PS4 or XBox one on release day i will eventually get one and i'm not buying the same game twice. I'd rather take a break from them and pick up again when i decide to buy a new console.

Only ones I've played thoroughly were the MW ones. Didn't care much for WaW and both Black Ops. For some reason, those engine just never seemed to play as "smooth" as the MW ones. MWs was the first and only games that got me to care about online multiplayer. Haven't decided if I'll dabble in Ghosts.

• 3 weeks later...

First one I bought was MW2 and absoltely loved it.  I only played the campaign and a little bit of mp on local.

Got MW3 when on release night, first time going and getting a game @ midnight.  Probably played this one the most.  First one I really played the multiplayer on.  Campaign was underwhelming. 

Black Ops 2-  Got it at midnight, played it a lot, very slick looking game.  I liked the campaign. Multiplayer wasn't as bad as people let on, but it was still bad.

Call of Duty:Ghosts is junk shit.  I kinda hate myself for paying $60+ for this piece of trash. 

• 5 months later...

Through updates and whatnot it looks like infinity ward has fixed some of the shit that was broken in the game like spawns and glitches.  I just recently got into playing the extinction stuff, where it's 4 people per team and you have to destroy alien hives and kill all sorts of shit.  It's different than zombies but in that vein.   Depending on how the high life update goes on gta, this may take up some of my gaming time.

I skipped Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 2. I purchased Ghosts with my PS4. Unless something changes, I think I am done with this franchise. No matter how awesome Kevin Spacey trailers look to be.

I'm through with it also. It was a great franchise that provided me hours and hours of fun with friends and some great shit talking as well but I'm just tired of playing the exact same game over and over again.

I'm through with it also. It was a great franchise that provided me hours and hours of fun with friends and some great shit talking as well but I'm just tired of playing the exact same game over and over again.

At this point, Call of Duty needs a Zucker/Abrahams style parody of first person shooters installment. Just have Captain Price fight Martians and be able to breath without oxygen in space because.....he's fucking Captain Price.  And Ghost dies everywhere in every time period because that's what he does. And your character (voiced by either Nolan North or Troy Baker) has a nickname of "Mouthwash" because he's "Soap" McTavish's brother's college suitemate. So they are practically related.

Besides Battlefield: Bad Company 3, that would be my dream FPS.

I actually get the most fun out of CoD these days just running bot matches. The bots are dumb enough to feel like human players at times, but will occasionally pull some aimbot-ty shots as well. It balances out pretty well, so it's all the fun of multiplayer without dealing with the mouth breathers...

• 4 weeks later...

I've given COD4 a quick go. Not enough to form an opinion yet. Tried the single player first and found it quite hard to tolerate so quickly moved onto multiplayer, which I presumed is the meat of the pie here. It's good shooting but I'm seeing a lot of stuff behind a grindwall and I'm wondering how those things affect play. Does the 'real' game open up only after you've put the hours in or is it a bit JRPG-ey where your stats go up but so do everyone else's so it's much of the same with a different flavour? Every now and again I'll pick up a gun off the floor which is worlds better than the ones I can start with - are these found on the map or am I being clock-blocked from choosing them myself?

• 2 months later...

So the multiplayer was revealed at Gamescom earlier this week.  Before I was completely against the idea of purchasing another Call of Duty.  This one looks different somehow.  It looks...faster somehow.  With the exo suit abilities, it kind of put me in the mind of Destiny, which is about as high of a compliment as I can pay a game at this point.  

I'm still unsure if I will purchase it, but the coolest thing about it, Day Zero...getting it a full 24 hours before the actual launch date.  I wish this was the case with Destiny. 

• 5 weeks later...

My 12 year old step-son wants the new Advanced Warefare CoD game for his upcoming birthday. He got the hardened edition for last year's release (bought with his own money) and he wants the same for this year so he can get the season pass with all the DLC. I'm so very out of the loop with game extras and incentives and store exclusives and things like that. I tried doing searches online myself, but just don't know exactly what to look for. Are there any stores or online sites that are offering anything special or better if you get it through them, or are most the same no matter where you get it? I found the Atlas Pro edition for $120 that seemed to have all the bells and whistles, but also now see this Day Zero thing which seems like something he'd want but doesn't look like it comes with all the DLC.

Can anybody give any insight or opinions on where the best place to get this with everything would be? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm going to give it some time.  I was really burnt out on the series and style of play.  I switched to Battlefield and really liked that to change up the staleness that CoD was giving me.  But if this really is a breath of fresh air I'll look at giving it another go for sure.