DVDVR Message Board

TNAEW - Impact Wrestling - 12/8/2020

50 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

He hasn't really though. His subsequent feuds with the Lucha Bros and Tessa were really good. Them circling back to this weak stuff to me is more endemic of just how thin things are on the men's singles section of the card. They were running warmed over RVD vs Rhino ECW retreads coming into this year. This company just goes to a lot of dry wells because there's not a lot to get excited about there. 

I'll defer to your knowledge as I'm sure you've watched more Impact than me, but I have seen Callihan in other promotions carry that bat with him, and the only reason that's his gimmick, and has been for around three years, is because of that incident.  I think that's kind of what I was getting at.  Dude nearly ended  a guy's career and has been using it for cheap heat ever since.

• Like 1

Impact also had the Speaking Out movement hit them, they cut Joey Ryan, a Crist brother and Michael Elgin due to it. All who were a big part of their storylines at the time. Their roster could benefit from AEW's huge roster needing more opportunities. 

• Like 3

Alexander/Sabin felt a little over-rehearsed down the stretch but was solid. 

The Tony S. line was a great diss. Tony K. walked a pretty fine line between being enthusiastic and condescending, like he was unintentionally being a dick. Then for more meta Mathews pimping Cameo was funny considering all the fuss about Twitch etc.

I'm still finding it hard to pay attention to these matches without any crowd noise. Even MLW has their ambient 'bar outside the venue' sound. If AEW does anything to help out Impact it has to be begging them to have a semi-crowd. Also, hey I forgot about Joe Doering. I don't think anyone would complain about a former Triple Crown champ showing up in AEW. But if anyone crosses over it has to be the Knockouts. The four of these women tonight alone could probably have a good match with almost anyone on the other roster. Then Tenille shows up and I think "oh shit Tenille is the Baker of Impact". 

All the black guys fighting each other isn't good optics but they're all talented and come up with a nice sprint of a tag. The rana of Bey onto Moose was supercool. 

The Swann thing looks like a setup for Omega vs. Swann to me. And yeah that didn't look good either. "Ya ever seen history made? I don't think ya have..."  Now I want to know the biggest match Mathews ever announced for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

CZW-ROH seems to be the gold standard but the CZW side of things was minimal outside of two shows. 

The original plan was for CZW to be heavily involved and have ROH talent invading their shows.  Zandig didn't want to do the feud and fired the guy who was booking for him at the time. then stopped coordinating with Gabe.

(The booker at the time was Mike Burns, the owner of Smart Mark Video.  Burns was booking CZW at the time and worked out the invasion angle with Gabe - supposedly without Zandig's knowledge or involvement.  Zandig went berserk at the idea, confronted Burns in a stairwell after the show, and fired him.  He may have thrown Burns down the stairs.  He threw someone down the stairs.  I seem to remember Burns telling me Zandig pushed him down, but other people have said it was Mike Pancoast, owner of Pancoast Productions, the company that did some production work for CZW .  Pancoast did stop working with CZW soon afterwards, irrc.)

Edited by Eoae
typo

I believe Impact's current location restricts them to no audience. I wouldn't mind them having faux crowd noise like NXT UK had with Ilja-Walter. They don't do a good job filling out the sound like MLW or other promotions have done either.

@Eoae, thanks, I remember hearing Zandig had some issue with it. It did give us Zandig vs Jim Cornette on the mic in ROH so there is that. Morons unite. 

Josh Matthews, not to pile on, he just sounds so unenthused. I don't think he and Callis have good chemistry. He and Madison Rayne were slightly better. I think he would be better paired with a heel announcer.

This was the first time I've watched Impact in forever. The Tony's promo was amusing as was the Kenny/Cyrus promo but none of the in-ring stuff made me want to tune in regularly. Several people on the roster I've liked for a while, but no one I can't see elsewhere. I'm not invested in Kenny enough to want to see him do some touring heel champ gimmick. AEW has been doing things more right than wrong so far, so I'm still hopeful this goes somewhere good for all involved.

Between Tony Khans promo and Don and Kenny's Promo,  this would be a money drawing angle under normal circumstances. This is the McMemphis angle from the 90s all over again. They could just do shit like this every week. I hope they don't rush giving Omega an IMPACT title shot or even rush having an IMPACT talent getting an AEW title shot. Its crazy to think that the WCW title changed 5 times in less than 5 months before the Invasion angle was done. If I was them I'd be very careful with guys from the other companies wrestling for the other companies championship.

16 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Oh yeah, the bat stuff specifically I'll grant you. 

The guy really is a shithead. If a guy is too much of a ding-dong for MLW, that really tells you all you need to know about the current state of Impact. 

Counterpoint - the guy he was mostly a ding-dong for MLW was because he didn't want any part of Jim Cornette.  He probably didn't have problems with most of the roster because most of the roster were in the "Friends of Sami" clique.  Which is what IMPACT was mostly until the WWE pandemic purge.  Maybe since they have added mostly WWE rejects they need for Sami to basically have a roster might not be needed as much.  

On 12/9/2020 at 9:11 AM, RunningFromAmerica said:

It really does. There's almost nothing about this show they shouldn't do differently.

This.  They should probably be cut some slack, since it's hard to do live tv during a pandemic, but I watched the show semi-regularly in 2019 and it really did seem like a low-rent affair.  They really need to up their production values when the pandemic ends, but I'm skeptical they have the funding or incentive to do that.

I will say, if I was running TNA, one thing I'd do that wouldn't cost money is ban talent from tattoo parlors.  I'm only half-joking.  Maybe it's just a sign that I'm old, but TNA seems to have quite a few people under contract who ruined their look with too much shitty ink.  Just my opinion, but I thought TJP, Cody Deaner, Eric Young, Kimber Lee, and a couple others had a better look (both for tv and real life) before they got tatted up.  

• Like 1

- The production/agenting of the matches is generally terrible. Who decided Brian Myers should be able to beat people with a clothesline. I know this is DVDVR and we like clothesline finishers...but this is ridiculous. The guy is like the official king of jobbers and shouldn't be beating anyone ever. Eric Young wasn't quite such a high profile jobber but he was a jobber. I'll live with Heath because at least he actually got over in WWE for a time.

- Yeah the tattoos are a thing. A lot of the looks are sloppy, I'll mention no names because it isn't really about any one individual.

- Josh really sucks, real bad, and Madison ain't no picnic either. I'm assuming Callis was doing a better job. They really need to get new people in.

3 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

- The production/agenting of the matches is generally terrible. Who decided Brian Myers should be able to beat people with a clothesline. I know this is DVDVR and we like clothesline finishers...but this is ridiculous. The guy is like the official king of jobbers and shouldn't be beating anyone ever. Eric Young wasn't quite such a high profile jobber but he was a jobber. I'll live with Heath because at least he actually got over in WWE for a time.

- Yeah the tattoos are a thing. A lot of the looks are sloppy, I'll mention no names because it isn't really about any one individual.

- Josh really sucks, real bad, and Madison ain't no picnic either. I'm assuming Callis was doing a better job. They really need to get new people in.

Vinnie Vegas and The Diamond Studd were glorified enhancement before leaving to new pastures. 

Theres also a rather large size difference between TJP and Myers... so a clothesline is a believable finish. 

• Like 2

1. I saw Vinnie Vegas win a lot more matches than he lost (didn't he beat Tommy Rich in 40 seconds on PPV or something?). Same with Diamond Studd. Okay that's probably because I watched the wrong shows, but also that was 30 years ago and comparing them to Brian Myers is ridiculous. Brian Myers had a huge losing streak that was only really broken because he tagged with Ryder.

2. Nah. Even if you were right, it would still be wrong BECAUSE HE'S A JOBBER!

11 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Vinnie Vegas and The Diamond Studd were glorified enhancement before leaving to new pastures. 

Theres also a rather large size difference between TJP and Myers... so a clothesline is a believable finish. 

I don't really remember Vegas and Studd doing that much job duty either.  

In any case, how is that relevant?  Hall and Nash didn't get pushes in the WWF because they were midcarders in WCW.  They got signed and pushed because Vince saw something in them and thought they could be bigger stars than they were.  And he was right.  I feel like there's a big difference between Hall and Nash, and Brian Myers.  Vast difference in charisma, mic skills, ability to connect with the audience, etc.  

Hall and Nash got an opportunity to become bigger stars than they were, and they capitalized on it.  Has Myers ever been able to do that anywhere?

For the record, I don't have a problem with a heavyweight beating a cruiserweight with a clothesline due to the size difference.  I don't love the idea but both guys are just kinda there right now.  The finish isn't really going to help or hurt either guy.

I don't have a problem with that in theory, just not Myers. I mean...wtf.....if only he had known he could do a killer clothesline all along eh? Did he pray to God after he got released and the time-travelling ghost of Stan Hansen appeared to him? Just tell me that. I'll settle for it, I'll buy that.

I mean they didn't know when they taped these matches that the show was going to have eyeballs on it, I get that, but Myers shouldn't be winning on any promotion with dignity without a good storyline backing it up. 

• Like 1

One thing about IMPACT I noticed was how much it’s still structured like the old TNA IMPACT, which was structured like the WWF/E. This was very noticeable when Scott D’Amore “punished” the Knockouts champion by putting her in a match.

This is why I enjoy(Even though I know behind the scenes it’s a hassle) the multi-headed dragon of AEW’s creative. It allows for a fly by the seat of your pants booking, while IMPACT is stuck in a very rigid, and boring program.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2