DVDVR Message Board

TNAEW - Impact Wrestling - 12/8/2020

Oh yeah, the TK and Tony promo was good. I swear, TK only ever does his hair or wears something other than gym shorts when it's for this promo or the post PPV press conferences. Other than that he looks like he's probably 30 minutes from rolling out of bed.

I mean, if I had that much money I'd look like that all the time too.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, this was the first time I watched Impact in forever and it's sooooooooooo low rent. The ending was good, but ultimately this feels like fucking nothing considering Impact is barely relevant.

And actually it feels like a step up from when they where on Pursuit or Pop

Is Impact about to do their biggest rating since the Spike TV era?

EDIT:

"Won't be needing that any more. I don't need it." *Flick*

WWF really missed the boat with Don Callis back in the day. He acts better than Gal Gadot.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

Ok leaving aside that Callihan is still trying to suck cheap heat out of a botch from 33 months ago, are we gonna address him actually using "roll that beautiful bean footage" in 2020 on the company's biggest show in awhile?

Edited by Cristobal

10 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Swann should have stomped that dopey security dude. 

Way to do your world champion dirty. Also, the optics of your Black titleholder literally not allowed to walk OUT the door while Josh Matthews breezes on through. This will undoubtedly be your biggest viewing night in years, and this is how you flex.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Do you think they knew this was the show they were going to have Kenny on when they taped it?  Surely not, because nothing about this show seemed to be putting Impact’s best foot forward for their biggest audience in ages.

I have been more positive on Sami than a lot of people over the years, but he was awful.

• Like 3

*Chris Sabin (w/ Alex Shelley) def. Josh Alexander (w/ Ethan Page) (9:17) with a jackknife rollup

Fun little inoffensive match.  All involved deserve to be in a bigger company.  I honestly had no idea Sabin was still wrestling.  Last I heard from him was just after he'd started with that weird ROH stable that was like Retribution or whatever, and then I heard him on a podcast kind of dejected after injuring both of his ACLs, one after another.  He was pursuing non-wrestling stuff then and I seriously thought he'd retired.

*Brian Myers def. TJP (11:41) after the clothesline

Squint and Myers, in that gear, looks like Ginger Diesel.  TJP continues to be Mid 2000s Generic Indy Guy CAW.  Meh.

*Taya Valkyrie & Rosemary def. Deonna Purrazzo & Kimber Lee (7:00) when Rosemary pinned Kimber Lee to advance in the knockouts tag title tournament.

Good match.  impact's women can really help AEW's division.

*Sami Callihan came to the ring for a promo, putting himself over as the best. Alisha Edwards interrupted to cause a distraction, allowing Eddie Edwards to attack Callihan from behind.

Remember when Chris Rock criticized Ricky Martin for "stretching Livin' La Vida Loca out like turkey meat?"  Well Sami has been living off almost killing Eddie Edwards for three years now.  What a fucking loser and a joke this guy became.

*Chris Bey & Moose def. Rich Swann & Willie Mack (12:05) when Bey pinned Mack. 

Good to see the old wrestling rule "if you have black guys, they must always be teaming or fighting."  Egregious.

Awesome promos by Khan, Schiavone, Callis, and Omega!  That Douchey TK and Tony promo was one of the best things I've seen all year.

Impact looks bush league and sad in that tiny, empty building.  I think AEW might help them with production when this round of tapings has been exhausted.  I hope so anyway.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the problems I see with Kenny being a belt collector is...what do you do when it comes time for him to lose those belts? Moxley has held the NJPW US Title for what feels like forever now and even with him just recently losing the AEW World Title, it would feel wrong to have him lose to someone else in another company to drop the US title. Same thing for Kenny and the AAA title. Now you're talking about him potentially going after the Impact title? Like...why? I understand it makes Kenny look godlike by being the champion for all of these different, smaller promotions, but I don't think it's mattered to me that he's been AAA champ the entire time he's been the champ. What matters to me are the championships in AEW, WWE, and NJPW. Even if we lived in a perfect world where there was cross promotion with something like WWE and Kenny was the Universal champion, he eventually has to lose that title. He's eventually going to need to lose much smaller titles to people that AEW isn't going to spend time promoting. Seems like all that does is devalue Kenny and the AEW championship.

Whoever's booking the feud is going to have their work cut out for them making Swann seem credible next to Kenny.  Kenny Omega vs. Rich Swann feels like it should be a three-week undercard feud on Dyamite (along the lines of world champion Chris Jericho having short feud with Scorpio Sky a while back).  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Plus Kenny is scheduled for AAA's Triplemania on 12/12 against Laredo Kid. Doubtful Final Resolution has any AEW involvement. I could see Hard to Kill 2021 have crossover matches though. 

If Ethan Page's vlog that he uploaded this morning is any indication, then they've taped all the way up until the go-home show for Hard to Kill already.

What has been the best interpromotional feuds? CZW-ROH seems to be the gold standard but the CZW side of things was minimal outside of two shows. I haven't seen anything from UWFi-NJPW. It seems like Impact and AEW are working much closer, the goal being to help each other.

On a similar track, I think of Kojima accidentally winning the IWGP title and throwing it down causing a brawl. The AAA title isn't a major belt for them, it seems to be me at least. I believe Moose-Rich Swann is the likely main event for Hard to Kill 2021. Kind of tips their hand going forward if they are building to a champion vs champion match between Swann and Omega. 

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Remember when Chris Rock criticized Ricky Martin for "stretching Livin' La Vida Loca out like turkey meat?"  Well Sami has been living off almost killing Eddie Edwards for three years now.  What a fucking loser and a joke this guy became.

He hasn't really though. His subsequent feuds with the Lucha Bros and Tessa were really good. Them circling back to this weak stuff to me is more endemic of just how thin things are on the men's singles section of the card. They were running warmed over RVD vs Rhino ECW retreads coming into this year. This company just goes to a lot of dry wells because there's not a lot to get excited about there. 

Losing Tessa and Morrison and Penta and Fenix and Cade and Santana and Ortiz all within a small window really did a number on their roster. Running back Sami and Eddie is just a sign of how sparse things are. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

One of the problems I see with Kenny being a belt collector is...what do you do when it comes time for him to lose those belts? Moxley has held the NJPW US Title for what feels like forever now and even with him just recently losing the AEW World Title, it would feel wrong to have him lose to someone else in another company to drop the US title. 

Not that they'd do it, but how would people feel about Kenny taking the US belt off Moxley? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

He hasn't really though. His subsequent feuds with the Lucha Bros and Tessa were really good. Them circling back to this weak stuff to me is more endemic of just how thin things are on the men's singles section of the card. They were running warmed over RVD vs Rhino ECW retreads coming into this year. This company just goes to a lot of dry wells because there's not a lot to get excited about there. 

Losing Tessa and Morrison and Penta and Fenix and Cade and Santana and Ortiz all within a small window really did a number on their roster. Running back Sami and Eddie is just a sign of how sparse things are. 

Not that they'd do it, but how would people feel about Kenny taking the US belt off Moxley? 

I think Kenny Omega winning the title would be fine if circumstances were different with NJPW. The problem is that we already have this problem with Moxley holding that belt and can't even wrestle KENTA for it.