DVDVR Message Board

Favorite Wrestling Cards You Attended

RAF I read your original post and will read the rest of these. Did you mean you also went to SS 94 but chose to talk about SB II? Between those 2 cards, and the ECW/AAA show, you went to some historically important shows if nothing else. Then I don’t know how historically important the MSG show was but Schultz in the main event makes it unique for sure. 

My father went to all the Florida shows all the time in his youth like I think we discussed. He talked about it the same way you did. Said it was just wild. Blood and violence and heat to go with it as part of that insane Dusty/Sullivan storyline. I would give anything for a proper WWE release on that feud let alone the Florida territory.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, Technico Support said:

JCP @ Baltimore, MD - Arena - July 12, 1987 (13,500)

Dusty Rhodes defeated NWA TV Champion Tully Blanchard in a non-title barbed wire match

Say what??? Is that available in trading circles? The curfew thing sounds like 1 of Jim Cornette’s little but phenomenal ideas.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Say what??? Is that available in trading circles? The curfew thing sounds like 1 of Jim Cornette’s little but phenomenal ideas.

Arenas in the Northeast usually had a curfew, the biggest reason was overtime for arena workers started after 11PM, it would be “waived” if the promoter would kick in for the OT. 

• Like 1

I was lucky to have went to some good and important shows in my lifetime even though I didn’t go to very many.

The first 1 I went to was in Tallahassee, a WCW show that was 1 of the last done in the NWA house show style. Everybody wrestled and they went full speed. Some guys wrestled twice. Sting and Muta went nuts brawling. Flair and Funk bled buckets. Luger got really really mad and put his muscular finger in everybody at ringside’s faces every time Tommy Rich got a move in lol!

Next I went to a Luger vs Flair headlined show that wasn’t as intense but still good.

Next I went to what was supposed to be Flair vs El Gigante but we got Barry instead. Barry bladed and that plus The Claw was cool as f&@$ to me as a youngun. It looked like he was squeezing blood out of Barry’s head. The reason for Barry given was because Flair got a 3rd degree burn on his leg. Checking these results as thehistoryofwwe.com this show is listed but the results are blank. A few shows before that burn story is mentioned where Flair missed another show. I never knew this actually happened. I thought they were just house showing it up. Was this supposed to be a spoof on the McDonald’s lawsuit? Lol I thought that happened in the mid90s. And of course there is also the possibility that Flair was dealing with his well known anxiety issues at the time and it was all just fake.

Next I went to a Worldwide taping, learning somewhere in the middle of the show that that’s what it was. Itwent on for what seemed like 20 hours. I can’t believe my folks hung in until the end. I wish they were here for me to thank them for sitting through this show. They loved wrestling, but seeing guys wrestle 10 and 12 times when they had to go to work the next day probably wasn’t to fun. Worldwide had been jobber TV for the longest time and the first hour or so was, then it got good. It was the first time I’d ever seen the 3 count in unison with the 1 second ahead TV time limit countdown finish. Steve Austin and Brian Pillman (The Yellowdog) did it perfectly. I was so dang mad! Also Brain was exposing his face fully away from the camera to the crowd, not the tease bit he did in front of the camera. Man what a time. I also remember rewatching it all on TV.

I’ve been to a few more that I’ll explain later.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 3

All In.

i had stopped watching WWE regularly in 2006-7, only tuning in for Mania each year (and the Rumble sometimes). watched TNA for a few years (2005ish) but never gave it a second thought. Don't follow puro due to the language barrier, and no indies in the area leaves that out too.

heard the rumors about a Bucks-Cody show, the bet for a 10,000 crowd, Meltzer hype, all of that. Knew i HAD to be there. started watching BTE. caught up on the Omega-Okada matches. Billy Corgan's NWA and "Ten Pounds of Gold" captured my attention.

it was awesome. my #3 show of all time (after WM17 and One Night Stand). felt magical being there. the mystery of the whole thing. the idea that literally anything could happen. the crazy ass matches. Hangman Page. Jericho as Penta. Joey Ryan's penis druids. Cody winning the NWA title. to see what AEW has become warms my heart. 

my #2 is Mania 22, which awed me at just how many people were there (80,000). Really fun show as well.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 12:10 AM, Mister TV said:

Arenas in the Northeast usually had a curfew, the biggest reason was overtime for arena workers started after 11PM, it would be “waived” if the promoter would kick in for the OT. 

Yep... MSG had its share of "curfew draws" over the years to get out of finishes. Just rare enough so it didn't overstay its welcome. But it's why we were so surprised when G1 went rollicking past 11pm and until after midnight.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Yep... MSG had its share of "curfew draws" over the years to get out of finishes. Just rare enough so it didn't overstay its welcome. But it's why we were so surprised when G1 went rollicking past 11pm and until after midnight.

But if you know about how MSG works regarding OT for it's staff you'd know that not wanting to go past 11pm to avoid paying a huge amount extra is very legit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

But if you know about how MSG works regarding OT for it's staff you'd know that not wanting to go past 11pm to avoid paying a huge amount extra is very legit. 

Oh yeah... my dad worked concerts in and out of MSG for ages. Just saying they used a legit reason to work the odd finish.

• Like 1