DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/2/2020

Dolfan in NYC

AXS is the channel formerly known as HDNet.  IIRC Mark Cuban used to own HDNet, but Anthem bought out the majority shares, so no surprise why Impact migrated from Pop Network to AXS. 

AXS is available on DISH and DirectTV satellite services as well as Verizon FIOS, and probably on some regional providers.

It is also streamed via SlingTV.  

NJPW also has a television deal with AXS.

I roll with Xfinity and my streaming services are spoken for, so watching Impact is no bueno.

Edited by J.T.

AEW & IMPACT making wrestling exciting again. I love it. 

On 12/4/2020 at 12:35 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It sounds crazy, but I've been thinking since Wednesday, and it kind of wouldn't surprise me if Kurt Angle is the next puzzle piece. I just saw a Twitter post the other week where he was training, and he looks like he's in great shape. Not that I'm advocating for AEW to sign another 50+ star, just thinking out loud. 

Yes please! He is booked as a "special guest" on the Jericho Cruise next year, so I'd mark for that for sure even if just a one-off match.

23 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Also, did we hear Eddie Kingston say he wanted a piece of Lance Archer right away seconds before the end of the show or did I imagine that?

Yep, we get Archer & Lucha Bros vs. Kingston/Butcher/Blade next week

1 hour ago, Peck said:

I haven't seen NJPW on AXS in awhile so I think that may not be the case any longer.

Yeah AXS/NJPW deal is over now. Anthem buying the network basically killed it.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Thanks 1

Guys, you can watch Impact on Tuesdays on Twitch. I don't even think you need a Twitch account, but if you do it's not like you have to give them your credit card number. They live stream from their own channel and I believe Jessicka Havok's channel as well.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 1:09 AM, Burgundy LaRue said:

If it's just a case of his longtime friend Callis bending Omega's ear, fine. But it makes Khan look silly. Allowing another company's executive to get that close to one of his top stars on AEW's clock seems amateur.

Tony Khan didn't really allow anything though.  Omega and Callis aren't just longtime friends, they are basically family. Callis was there to call a match at Omega's request.  Omega is a EVP.  Why would Khan say no?  What reason was there to say no you cannot invite a guest.  

• Like 3

Even if you can't catch Impact live, the high notes will be easy to find elsewhere immediately. 

The notion that Angle won't be going out on a blah match vs Corbin in his server attire does carry some appeal. On the other hand, I don't want him to fall back into bad habits there. I hope they tread lightly if they use him. 

Like the idea of Angle coming in for a more fitting retirement match. I'd wait a couple months as you don't want to combine that with the Sting reveal, but the idea of something like Angle/Omega as a Dynamite main event / Angle-centric episode would be welcome. Not unlike Lawler/Miz in Memphis that one time, obvious with a more wrestling vs. garbage-centric approach to the actual match.

AEW doesn't really have a younger "wrestling machine" gimmicked guy if you wanted to go "pass the torch" and not "dream match" for this, unless I'm just blanking. Makes me think that if Gable or Drew Gulak get let go they'd be good signs. 

• Like 2

Thinking of a way to make everybody in general look better  - Kenny hides in Impact a while, gives some "opportunities" to their talent that generally end in Callis/Good Bros interference fuckery, eventually Mox/Page get a shot at a big event and Impact guys pay Kenny back and assist in him losing the belt. Shit, you could even have The Young Bucks take out Gallows/Anderson as a way to protect their company, kayfabe get Omega back for turning on them, and even play on the real life story about Gallows/Anderson fucking over their friends. 

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Omega won the belt by fuckery, I don't think he should lose the belt by fuckery too. Page should beat him clean eventually. Maybe even be the guy to kick out of the One Winged Angel.

It would then elevate him to Ibushi status (for those not up on the lore, Kota's the only one to kick out of it so far). He'd no longer be Omega's inferior. It'll be a great moment.

I'm interested to see if they have Omega beat him once more like Tanahashi beating Okada at the Dome in 2015 when everybody thought it was Okada's time, or do they do a more traditionally American build.

• Like 1

I kinda think they want Hangman's big win to happen when crowds are back, I just worry It could be a thing like DDP in WCW or Samoa Joe in TNA where they wait too long and miss the moment.

Also I kinda wonder due to the name change and various channel changes do you think that casual fans might not even realize that TNA and Impact are the same company?

13 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I kinda think they want Hangman's big win to happen when crowds are back, I just worry It could be a thing like DDP in WCW or Samoa Joe in TNA where they wait too long and miss the moment.

What gives you that impression? If Omega & Hangman are working on this story together, then it's entirely possible the slowburn is just an Omega thing instead of it being AEW wanting to hold off until fans can attend in full capacity again. I mean, the dude did like a multi-year storyline with Kota Ibushi that was stop and go for a long time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Casey said:

Omega won the belt by fuckery, I don't think he should lose the belt by fuckery too. Page should beat him clean eventually. Maybe even be the guy to kick out of the One Winged Angel.

Then maybe the Impact guys prevent fuckery? You're right though and I was just sharing a shower thought, who knows what they'll end up doing - I like the idea that the Impact crossover is pretty much a complete mystery right now. 

• Like 2

Oh definably think its a slow burn story, but I also think it would be ideal for Hangman's crowning moment to come in from of a packed house. I actually think the lack of a crowd probably will help because you won't a split crowd with some people wanting to cheer kenny.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

Oh definably think its a slow burn story, but I also think it would be ideal for Hangman's crowning moment to come in from of a packed house. I actually think the lack of a crowd probably will help because you won't a split crowd with some people wanting to cheer kenny.

I mean, yeah, in an ideal world Hangman would finally win the AEW title in front of an absolutely packed house. But I think AEW realizes they can't hold off on story beats and debuts and whatnot for when a crowd returns, because that could be anywhere from late spring to summer to maybe even next fall.

Luckily I think the story is gonna be a long one and it's not close to coming to a close (despite the protests of many on here), so we might get to see Hangman win the big one in front of a huge crowd still.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I think there’s a good several months at least in the “Hangman slums it with Dark Order but by doing so builds himself back up and his leadership helps Silver and Reynolds win the tag titles” arc, before he takes that newfound confidence on a course for Omega. 

I like this, dude. Plus you've got a built in side-story when Brodie returns, too. 

• Like 3

So Renee didn't know? Or she's foolin'. 

Don't forget that AXSTV also had GLOW along with New Japan. I really don't know why those deals fell through, maybe Anthem was only interested in Impact or that was part of their deal or all three were too expensive. God knows most everything else they have is thrift-store priced (Dan Rather interviews, rock docs, more rock docs, live shows, the occasional movie, infomercials, a film trailers show, more rock docs...). They also dropped MMA which was on there since the HDNet days.

Edited by Curt McGirt