DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/2/2020

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Fuck, good call. That's a loaded legends division already. The Stinger splash animation was cool in that it was floaty but the end impact has gotta hit hard. That classic apron WCW camera angle with sting flying into the corner with his sound is just the premium shit. 

I'm a little surprised they didn't break 1 million viewers. I know that's not the important number but still. 

@Andy in Kansasit would be nice to have set girls, more of them, and a bit more polish but I still think it's fantastic as is. 

They might have a shot next week with Sting actually advertised for the show, but then again, they may not if it's one of those off-week cards, but they've gotta be smart enough to follow up strong. I think Stings gonna do more for the number than the Impact thing will - no offense to Impact, because I hear it's a good damn show nowadays - but I would bet there are approximately zero people who watch Impact and not AEW.

18 hours ago, cubbymark said:

This feels like Pro Wrestling USA in some way. Impact even with Anthem subsidizing is arguably no better than latter day World Class and NWA as late stage AWA,with AEW as the JCP. I don't see what AEW gets out of this since Impact has been such a toxic brand even if there are some people who say its decent right now.

The thing is that Pro Wrestling USA was a last gasp of desperation. I don't feel that AEW is anything but trending up, and I'm well aware of the past history of Impact but the promotion has been off so many peoples radar for so long past toxicity might not matter

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I was at the 3-20-88 show at the RC with my dad.  I still have the ticket stub somewhere.  Is Mikey from the 804?

His twitter Bio says RVA, so I'm guessing so. Looks like he's still there, too.

Hangman and the Dark Order being buds had me roaring, them saving him from elimination I nearly hopped out my seat

Miro going on a rampage just to run into the Inner Circle trio, standing tall for a moment before losing to the numbers advantage just led to more yelling/out of seat hopping

others mentioned, but there were some great story beats and rivalries advanced through the battle royale. 

Just enjoying the show so far through the first match 

Ff'd the Jericho match and britt match, watch those later... but Jesus fuck they mentioned Taz trying to recruit Darby was back in May and ? fuck does that feel like a year ago

Edited by Hayabusa
Loving the matches I've sat thru so far
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

His twitter Bio says RVA, so I'm guessing so. Looks like he's still there, too.

Well, fuck.  DVDVR 804 may have to jump on Twitter and arrange a meet & greet after the vaccine comes out.

Shit. I am eight years the senior of Ruckus.  I am an old man.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I LOVED Shida being all Shaggy and Scooby over Abadon.  And playing Sid to Marvez's Jim Ross.  "Can we do that over?"  "We're live, pal!"  I don't know, big picture, what this means for her as a babyface and a champ, but I really liked it as a quick, self-contained thing.

(quick fix)

Liked the Moxley-Omega match well enough, and the right guy went over imo, but I wasn't feeling the "screwjob".  Mox broke the gentleman's agreement and basically tried to murder Kenny with the Paradigm Shift outside the ring, then went after Callis and the refs when they tried to help Kenny.  Hitting Moxley in the face with a microphone was a fairly reasonable response.

If this had been a normal year, the full crowd would have been insane the entire last hour of the show.

Really curious to see where the TNA stuff goes, but AEW's roster is bloated as is.  They aren't wanting for guys who need/deserve more TV time.  Still, there are a lot of matchups I'd like to see.

Sami Callihan has to be the guy who jumped Moxley into the entranceway, right?

38 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Liked the Moxley-Omega match well enough, and the right guy went over imo, but I wasn't feeling the "screwjob".  Mox broke the gentleman's agreement and basically tried to murder Kenny with the Paradigm Shift outside the ring, then went after Callis and the refs when they tried to help Kenny.  Hitting Moxley in the face with a microphone was a fairly reasonable response.

Yeah, I think we developed a pro wrestling philosophical razor earlier in the threat where we won't chalk up to conspiracy what we can blame on competitiveness and opportunity.

Yes, Kenny took a sketchy path to victory, but arguably so would've Moxley had the mic been in his hand rather than Omega's.

We're also talking about the same Moxley that didn't exactly defend his title against MJF by the purest of means and damn near tried to kill Darby Allin when Allin was too stubborn to stay down.

I love Moxley as a fighting champion, but he doesn't garner much sympathy as the victim of an alleged screwjob and I don't think that Moxley wouldn't waste time bemoaning his fate.   He'd just say Fuck It and try harder to murder Omega in a rematch

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

http://youtu.be/TfObFdpnv3Q

Randomly watched this video just now and lol that the Revenge Scorpion Death Drop animation seems to have been based on this Sting sneak attack on Bischoff, right down to Bischoff trying to tap out before he hits it

1997 Sting is the coolest wrestler of all time. I know '99 Rock is objectively but I prefer sad bois. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Infinit said:

There is potential in an AEW/Impact crossover, but there is very little interest in the Impact men's division for me. I really don't see much "rivals to AEW main eventers" at first thought of who's on their roster.

Impact is slowly recovering from the Jeff Jarrett ego trip madness, the recent Tessa Blanchard debacle, and the general dearth in talent. 

Dixie Carter has been relegated to the role of advisor now that she's no longer the majority stakeholder and hopefully she can't do any more harm in that position.

Impact has got some decent workers on the roster and I think Rich Swann will make for a good champion since the poor dude is trying way too hard to redeem himself from the unpleasantness of that domestic issue between him and Su Yung.

Su Yung held the Women's title for a hot minute recently, but they already put the belt back on Deonna Purrazzo.

Impact is ready to turn the corner so hopefully AEW can help with that.  I would not be totally against Khan working a drug deal to get Impact on Saturday nights on TBS, but Impact is AXS's most watched program so they are not likely to dump them just yet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I think the Su reign was as a make good for Kylie Rae's sudden retirement when she was supposed to win the Knockout's Title.

• Like 1

I think the talk of iMPACT stink is overblown. That will not affect AEW in a negative way. The story and how they play it is far more important and going by this past year id say AEW likely has some good ideas of how they will present this. AEW is not WWE pushing a Retribution faction with no plan just cause vince wants to own libs. AEW actually has plans and stuff.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

My kid is tall for her age, granted, but it’s crazy to think that Hirsh is only 10-11 inches taller than my 5 year old daughter.

I am two feet taller than Leyla Hirsh, but she can probably toss me down a flight of stairs with little effort.

I am thin and old.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

The IMPACT partnership with be interesting from a creative standpoint because even though they aren't what they were when they were on SPIKE 5 years ago and I don't think anyone expected them to start noticeably doing better business especially on these smaller networks they've been on since. Being the Fan and the historian Khan is I don't think he wants just repeat what Vince did with the Invasion angle. I know Impact has nowhere near the star Power of WCW at the end or even TNA 8-9 years but IMPACT has a ton of fresh talent. I think ex WWE guys like Eric Young,  Brian Myers and Heath Slater are great assets to IMPACT. Slater has more potential upside than any of the recently released talent from either company. If they can just feature just a little bit of crossover of guys from each others shows it should be good. As as the shows aren't built around the involvement of the other promotion it will be interesting. The CZW/ROH thing was the Invasion angle done correctly and both promotions were able to exist in the end but I thats mainly because they actually had separate Audiences. There is no real audiences right now but I doubt they want to go that route.

• Like 2