DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Can we talk a little bit about Adam Page's character? It seems a lot of people want him to be ass-kicking, nouveau Stan Hansen, but that's clearly not what he's going for, according to his interviews and podcast appearances, plus BTE and that playlist posted in the November thread. "Anxious millenial cowboy" isn't just a Twitter bio, and it's something that hasn't really been done before.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, Dog said:

Can we talk a little bit about Adam Page's character? It seems a lot of people want him to be ass-kicking, nouveau Stan Hansen, but that's clearly not what he's going for, according to his interviews and podcast appearances, plus BTE and that playlist posted in the November thread. "Anxious millenial cowboy" isn't just a Twitter bio, and it's something that hasn't really been done before.

Finally a candidate that represents my values

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Can we talk a little bit about Adam Page's character? It seems a lot of people want him to be ass-kicking, nouveau Stan Hansen, but that's clearly not what he's going for,

I'm almost certain Hansen's SSP was a lot uglier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

For the benefit of anyone who records the show to watch later:

Note To Self:   Set DVR to record the entire show plus 1 hour just to make sure I get the finish.

2 hours ago, Dog said:

I cannot think of a scenario where anyone would look at Adam Page and go "yep- modern day Stan F'n Hansen". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretending I know what's in Page's head, I'd say the fully self-actualized "Hangman" is confident and kicks ass, yes, but also STILL wants to erase student debt and remembers what it's like to be unsure. Like, the end of his story isn't becoming another Hansen or Blackjack Mulligan, it's him becoming the first and best Adam Page, someone the rest of his generation can still relate to.

• Like 5

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I hope Omega really leans into being a cheap-suit-scuzzball heel and doesn't just beat Moxley clean with good rasslin. Most excited I've been for an AEW match.

from Tony Khan media call:

On AEW introducing trios titles:
"Yes there is, but it won't be in 2020. If it happens, it will most likely be in 2021. I've been seriously thinking about it. I think there's a lot of momentum for it, we have a lot of great trios teams. I would like to get through 2020, I'd like to get to Beach Break and moving towards Revolution but I definitely think it is something on my agenda. And it's something I've been talking about for a long time and thinking about."

- Khan brought up the COVID-19 pandemic and admitted there are cuts he "could have and should have made" but he made the decision not to do so. He noted that Dark has become a valuable program and he's seriously considering splitting the show into different shows. The idea is that one would be a developmental show of sorts and the other would feature more established stars. Khan noted that he likes who AEW has added to the roster, and he feels that it's really important to develop stars for the future, pointing to Will Hobbs as someone who has benefited from that.
-Khan said Brodie Lee is one of AEW's top wrestlers but there was no solid update to provide on when he will be back in action.
-Khan said Miro will be a huge part of AEW but like everyone else he has to win matches and get involved in stories. He said he feels they are rebuilding him after he was abused for years in WWE. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

He's one of my wife's favorites simply because of that reason, she can totally relate.

This Black Friday I purchased my first wrestling shirts in over a year, The Abadon Dawn of The Dead shirt and Hangmans "Anxious Millenial Cowboy" shirt. He's the most relatable character in wrestling today. I said this in the Scouting report and I'll say  again here cause we are discussing him. I think they are doing a close to two year long term story where he (like Peyton Manning and Lebron James) he can't/ hasn't won the big one. Lost in the title match for the title against Jericho, lost in the full gear tournament finals to Kenny. I think Kenny beats mox so mox can go be a new dad and eventually Hangman wins the big one by beating Kenny

• Like 4

Hangman's other big match loss was in the Dynamite Diamond thing, where he lost to MJF to determine who got the diamond ring.

• Like 1

An interesting thing was how involved with the tag title win Hangman was, as he pretty much singlehandedly turned the tide and picked up the title winning fall. Always thought that was a nice piece of storytelling and laying groundwork for something down the road. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Is this the same dog who got scared shitless from Cody's overindulgent pyro, and, after facing backlash for animal abuse, Cody put the heat on the pyro guy and fired him via Tweet?

Man, I was pissed watching that. Poor Pharoah.

• Like 2

Hangman is still young, he can be Stan Hansen in 15 years after he gets a gut and some kayfabe confidence.

Watching Dark, they should hire this Tesha Price girl, she's solid and has a good look, great facial expressions.

Tazz on KiLyinn King: "She's probably about 6ft, I know I'm about an inch taller than her so she's about 6ft." ?

• Like 2

14 hours away from the ending of Winter is Coming Dynamite episode which will culminate in a new AEW World Champion Kenny Omega taking his rightful place as top dog in all of professional wrestling...but something even more important for the future of professional pro wrestling will take place at the end of Dynamite tonight....

NJPW/AEW working relationship will be official for all to see.

This grand experiment will revolutionize this great sport/art of ours into the next decade. 

Winter is coming....

Tony Khan is 14 hours away from changing the world as he and his Executive VP’s said they would when they started AEW. 

Limousine riding, Jet flying, Kiss stealing son of a gun Shadow knows....

Edited by Flair’s Shadow
  • Like 1