DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:26 AM, Casey said:

so CM Punk was on Renee's podcast, and he mentioned that someone in WWE got a role on a TV show playing a wrestler because they knew someone in the company that was producing the show or something. Needless to say, WWE got a whiff of this and nixed it, and suggested John Cena instead and the rest is history. But what show did Cena appear on where he played a wrestler? I looked at his TV credits on Wikipedia - granted I don't know some of the shows, like the cartoons, and not well versed in Psych, but it didn't appear any of those roles were for a wrestling character. Maybe he meant a movie?

But yeah the clip I saw on YouTube was him questioning why it's okay for Xavier Woods to be a host on G4, but people can't have Twitch accounts - and I think the answer to that is pretty easy and obvious (WWE is getting a cut of it most likely).

That actually jives with Hardcore Holly's book. Holly said that stuff like that happened quite often. He said that some show saw Test on tv and really wanted him for a specific part. Instead the WWE office said, "oh we have him working that weekend" and suggested a top guy instead. There wasn't a specific time frame for this but I'm guessing maybe sometime in 06 or 07 when Test and HH would've been on WWECW together and HH likely would've known what Test was doing at the time. This would also line up with when Punk was there.

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

It’s possible I should stop smoking peyote because one of my dreams last night involved Marc Mero, under the name Johnny B. Badd, being elected to represent me in Congress.

Hey, if you're gonna stop how would feel about sending some of that to me?  I would love having dreams like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, Sammo~! said:

I think they just had sex and then Schumer did a bit about how the sex was bad because Dolf did too much and couldn't slow down or take direction or something. 

She actually did say something like, "the sex was too athletic."

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

It’s possible I should stop smoking peyote because one of my dreams last night involved Marc Mero, under the name Johnny B. Badd, being elected to represent me in Congress.

Anytime I hear about "smoking peyote", it always reminds me of this Rick Carlisle/Phil Jackson exchange...

(sorry for the quality)

• Like 1

Meltzer is reporting that Vince "threw a fit" and has sent the following guys down to the PC for further training:

Dabba-Kato

Dio Maddin (big guy in Retribution - Mace)

Omos (AJ's bodyguard)

Otis (!)

Keith Lee (!!!)

This is coming on the heels of some reports that one of the matches for Mania 37 was going to be Lee vs. Brock vs. McIntyre

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

That actually jives with Hardcore Holly's book. Holly said that stuff like that happened quite often. He said that some show saw Test on tv and really wanted him for a specific part. Instead the WWE office said, "oh we have him working that weekend" and suggested a top guy instead. There wasn't a specific time frame for this but I'm guessing maybe sometime in 06 or 07 when Test and HH would've been on WWECW together and HH likely would've known what Test was doing at the time. This would also line up with when Punk was there.

Reminds me of this story from 2007ish where Under Armor (I think it was that...maybe Affliction?) wanted Shelton Benjamin for an ad. The WWE said no, offered Cena instead. They didn't want him and the deal fell through. I also remember something about Chavo Guerrero possibly getting some sort of deal back then and again the WWE put a stop to it offering someone else.

That's how the machine works up there. If it's someone they want to be over, great. If it's someone they don't than it's a problem.

Vince is also Monty Burns more and more ever passing day. One day he loves someone. The next WHO ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU GET...GET OUT GET OUT"

24 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Meltzer is reporting that Vince "threw a fit" and has sent the following guys down to the PC for further training:

Dabba-Kato

Dio Maddin (big guy in Retribution - Mace)

Omos (AJ's bodyguard)

Otis (!)

Keith Lee (!!!)

This is coming on the heels of some reports that one of the matches for Mania 37 was going to be Lee vs. Brock vs. McIntyre

So he apparently sent back somebody that would have been involved in the AJ/Drew match and Keith f'n Lee?  And Otis too?  If it's true then the people that should be throwing a fit are the wrestlers that have to put up with the whims of a senile old man that needs to GTFO immediately.

• Like 2

The first group I understand.  Although Mace has been in NXT in so long maybe you should have cut your loss to begin with.

Otis isn't really good in the ring but to be honest with his character does he need to be?   For a chubby comedy guy he is perfectly fine right now.  If they want to elevate him then yeah he needs a lot more. 

Keith Lee needing more work is just stupidity.  It wouldn't surprise me if "needing more work" for Vince is you need to build a better body.  Which is also stupid

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

lolwwe

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Vince thinks Lee is too fat.

Once again, there isn't a promising wrestler that WWE/Vince can't ruin. So many easily missed layups in this company.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

It could have been a good system if there wasn't a pandemic.  I mean while there was a A team running a show in Texas or California there was a B team running all through Florida.  I mean Dio Maddlin probably wrestled in every little  arena in Florida in front of 150 people for the last 3 years.   But now there is no place to run B shows.  Hell I am not even sure how these guys are getting work because you are not going to waste your TV show to give Otis matches

It goes without saying that 'Total Elimination' was one of the best tag finishers or finishers of all time.  Such an incredible highlight reel Kronos and Saturn were able to build just with that move.  Marrying it to Styles call is cause for fond memories.  And correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowlege that move has never been duplicated in their crushingly masterful manner.  

• Like 2

I think my favorite part is that Adam Pearce and Drew Gulak are the ones in charge of their training.

This isn't a knock on either of them - especially Gulak - but I mean if Vince is pissed because they are "big men who don't know how to work" shouldn't the training be lead by a big man?

• Like 2

wonder how much of the perennial "we need these guys to lose weight" Ross Report chatter in the 90s/2000s was actually Vince and not JR. I think the short list of guys who were in the WWF Fat Camp (post-Yokozuna) were Vader, Mark Henry, Big Show. The last two coincidentally being guys who were signed for long periods of time who would randomly get sent into developmental to lose some weight.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

It could have been a good system if there wasn't a pandemic.  I mean while there was a A team running a show in Texas or California there was a B team running all through Florida.  I mean Dio Maddlin probably wrestled in every little  arena in Florida in front of 150 people for the last 3 years.   But now there is no place to run B shows.  Hell I am not even sure how these guys are getting work because you are not going to waste your TV show to give Otis matches

The system was shit before the pandemic.  Dio Maddin was in “developmental” for 4 years (!!!) prior to his call-up.  Not saying anyone should expect him to be a super worker at this point or anything, but if WWE can’t teach a guy to work a passable WWE match in 4 years (during which time his sole occupation was “learn to be a passable WWE wrester”) then clearly there is a problem.

And there’s tons of guys like that!  Like Kona Reeves?  He’s been in developmental for 6 years (!!!) and still can’t get on TV more than a week or two at a time before they realize, “Nope.  Still stinks.”  Either he’s genuinely talented and they suck so bad they can’t bring it out of him...or he sucks and he’s never gonna get it and whoever is in charge is too dumb to realize it.  Either way, not great!

• Like 1