DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

3 minutes ago, twiztor said:

recommend me some 80s or 90s battle royals to watch. no Royal Rumbles, please. good, bad, or indifferent. i've got a quiet weekend ahead of me.

@The Naturalis awesome and Hogan is a guy who thinks he worked everyone into believing his half-assed apology and now can go back to taking credit for everything. Once upon a time I liked Hulk Hogan but what can you do,  he brought this on himself.  I can still watch his old matches and be fine with it,  he is who he is.  

• Like 2

Let's compromise: We don't have so many Twitter posts from Sheiky baby's handlers, but we continue to shit on Hulk Hogan for being a garbage human being.

WOO I DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO GO TO MEDIATIN' SCHOOL TO BROKER THAT COMPROMISE

Man, this was a rough year for me in terms of modern wrestling. I was into NWA Powerrrrrr, but that went away, and now I don't watch any modern wrestling. I'm looking forward to participating in Secret Santo Part Dos so I can see something that I want to see. 

Or I could watch more of that French catch cache that showed up on YouTube.

It's weird, but in 2020, I only want to watch studio shows with lots of squash matches when it comes to watching whole shows. I'll watch individual matches with interest, but I'm not sitting through a whole show unless it's 90 minutes or fewer and '80s studio style.

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's weird, but in 2020, I only want to watch studio shows with lots of squash matches when it comes to watching whole shows. I'll watch individual matches with interest, but I'm not sitting through a whole show unless it's 90 minutes or fewer and '80s studio style.

Studio Battlarts.

Edited by Edwin

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

recommend me some 80s or 90s battle royals to watch. no Royal Rumbles, please. good, bad, or indifferent. i've got a quiet weekend ahead of me.

I particularly enjoy the good guy's entrance music in the AJPW one and the commentators having difficulty keeping up at points in the other three (and apparently totally lost throughout the AWA one).

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Cool, I've been wanting to see an AJPW one since they get talked up over on Segunda. Thanx! 

EDIT: Aw man that was just great. I forgot that they were pinfall rules. I also didn't expect it to be a murderer's row of basically all the incredible talent they had at the time so you have the Four Pillars, a super pissed Hansen and the gaijin crew, Baba, etc. And what the hell is that song from? I thought it was the theme from Dallas but it isn't. Instantly recognizable though. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Cool, I've been wanting to see an AJPW one since they get talked up over on Segunda. Thanx! 

EDIT: Aw man that was just great. I forgot that they were pinfall rules. I also didn't expect it to be a murderer's row of basically all the incredible talent they had at the time so you have the Four Pillars, a super pissed Hansen and the gaijin crew, Baba, etc. And what the hell is that song from? I thought it was the theme from Dallas but it isn't. Instantly recognizable though. 

I believe that's the "Disco Star Wars" song by Meco that was a hit song in the late 70s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

@The Naturalis one of my favorite posters. We share many of the same interests and outlooks. Cheers!

changing the subject, recommend me some 80s or 90s battle royals to watch. no Royal Rumbles, please. good, bad, or indifferent. i've got a quiet weekend ahead of me.

This is one of the best ever for my money. Great angle at the end and a ludicrous amount of HOF talent involved.

14 hours ago, Edwin said:

Going back to the wrestling talk.

Watching post 2008 ROH and that stuff feels so dry and uninteresting. I can't pinpoint exactly why but it feels different to the 2008 product. I loved the Danielson and Nigel series, the Danielson and Aries series, etc., the Briscoes, but after 2008, it just seemed like a different product entirely and their matches don't connect with me to the same degree their matches from the previous years do.

Was this around the time Adam Pierce took over the booking? I recall that being a pretty drastic change. It may have been later, I'm not sure. I only saw clips of ROH, but still around 2007-08 seemed pretty stellar to me. I was able to see some TNA on Eurosport around that time (I think), but that's obviously not quite the same thing, I understand that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Was this around the time Adam Pierce took over the booking? I recall that being a pretty drastic change. It may have been later, I'm not sure. I only saw clips of ROH, but still around 2007-08 seemed pretty stellar to me. I was able to see some TNA on Eurosport around that time (I think), but that's obviously not quite the same thing, I understand that.

Yes, Pearce was the head booker for 2009. It was a drastic change when he stepped in for Gabe.

I know Gabe is very disliked online, but he did a fantastic job with 2002-2008 ROH. Despite being on a very tight budget, he was able to work wonders with it.

Listened to some more podcasts with Dennis Rivera interviewing Chicano, Shane and Abbad.

Neither of the three was as remarkable as the other podcasts when it came to wrestling talk as it seems Dennis wanted to focus on other outside the business topics.

Chicano talked about his upcoming as he grew in the projects. He wasn't a fan of wrestling as a kid, but his mother had him take an elder man she took care of to the matches. Invader #1 (yes, that Invader) used to work as a repo man. Invader was near the projects where Chicano lived and Chicano approached him and asked him if he could train to be a wrestler and Invader told him to get out of his face and basically called him a mark. Chicano said that was an experience that he never forgot. After Chicano trained, he got signed by IWA. When Invader came into IWA, Chicano was already one of the top stars and Invader was introducing himself to the people in the locker room and when he approached Chicano, Chicano asked him if he remembered that kid he called a mark and was rude to and that it was him and he didn't want anything to do with him and to get out of his face as they were already done.

The Shane interview doesn't go much into detail about the backstage occurrences, but he did talk about his upcoming in the business. I had no idea, but he said he was trained in the UK and debuted over there even though he's Canadian and there's a ton of quality schools and indys to work over there. His Spanish is alright which was kind of surprising given his lived in Puerto Rico for years. He briefly talked about the time when he was Val Venis' tag team partner and how Val's goal was always to make it to the WWE which he was happy he accomplished, however he feels they could have done much more with him than they did.

Abbad barely said anything noteworthy wrestling wise. He mostly talked about working in local plays and nonprofit organizations he's working on now to help minors who come from broken homes. He worked on some drama based on the life of Jesus where he played the role of the devil and he also got Black Pain a role in it. When he was asked if he could act, he said no, but he was a pro-wrestler and could sell and the project manager told him to just sell for the most part which is how he learned to act. The highlight is him saying there's a scene where Black Pain hit the guy playing the role of Jesus across the face with a leather whip and busting his mouth open.

Edited by Edwin

18 hours ago, Edwin said:

Going back to the wrestling talk.

Watching post 2008 ROH and that stuff feels so dry and uninteresting. I can't pinpoint exactly why but it feels different to the 2008 product. I loved the Danielson and Nigel series, the Danielson and Aries series, etc., the Briscoes, but after 2008, it just seemed like a different product entirely and their matches don't connect with me to the same degree their matches from the previous years do.

I owned every ROH DVD up to and through 2008 and had gone to a ton of shows from 2002-2008, but then end of that year was then of me watching them...it just got...bad. I do still wish I had those DVDs though. I sold my entire wrestling DVD collection, which was huge, when I lost my job in 2010. I miss them ☹️

• Sad 2

Some stories of Puerto Rican pro-wrestling I somewhat just remembered.

A foreigner worked some dates with Carlos Colón and Victor Jovica in WWC, I don't remember who it was exactly but I think it was Rosey. He got paid in rolls of quarters which he didn't appreciate and he finished up his dates and never returned.

In 90s there was a promoter who I don't remember was, but it wasn't WWC that put together some shows. He flew in some foreigners, including Greg Valentine. He left them hanging once they arrived at the airport. No hotel reservations, no shows happened and they had to fly back out of the island on their own dime.

No one seems to remember this, but in the late 90s when Crow Sting was a thing in WCW, there was a guy who appeared for one or two weeks dressed like Sting with face paint, black baseball bat and everything and confronted the heels from the outside of the ring. I remember this happening in a Sean Morley match. It only ran for a few weeks on TV. It got dropped and nothing was ever mentioned again. WWC even put out shirts with the NWO font.

This story is a bit more common and has mad the rounds previously, but in the 2000's, Derrick King and Stan Lee from Memphis were working regularly in WWC. They were exchanging the tag titles back and forth with various teams. WWC feel back on their pay which unfortunately wasn't a rare occurrence. During one of their tag title run, they left the island and took the titles with them to Memphis. They told the office they wouldn't send them back until they got paid and they eventually ended up sending them back by FedEx.

I think you can see the fame Carlos and Jovica had of not paying people.

Also listened to a bit of a podcast with Mr. Big. Him and Dennis said they had spoken with Bison Smith and he was going to get them booked in Japan which I'm guessing would have been a Noah tour, but unfortunately Bison passed away before he could get them booked. I think Mr. Big would've benefited greatly from an overseas tour and it's a goal he's always said he wanted to accomplish, but has never panned out. They both said Bison was great to work with and was a really nice guy who worked stiff, but also appreciated folks who worked stiff in exchange.

Not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but there was actually a TAKA Michinoku dojo in Puerto Rico and a lot of K-DOJO students worked in IWA. There was a faction of K-DOJO students led by Minoru Fujita who got recked every week by Ricky Banderas chair shots. They were called the Kamikaze Clan. I remember Madoka and Kengo Mashimo being members.

Togi Makabe also spent some months in Puerto Rico before he returned to New Japan. He was named Dragon Makabe.

Edited by Edwin

Reading Meltzer's 1997 Wrestling Observer Yearbook that was just released a couple of months back and came across this blurb I had NEVER heard about the Michaels/Hart locker-room shoot and fallout:

"Michaels was telling people on Tuesday that he was done with the WWF and would sit out the next four years of his contract rather than return. Logically that wasn't going to happen and the question was more when he'd return, although Michaels could have sat out a long period of time since he received a seven-figure inheritance from a wrestling fan of his that passed away.."

A. That's batshit crazy.

B. Who in the wrestling business would you guys leave your inheritances to?? 

35 minutes ago, Peck said:

Reading Meltzer's 1997 Wrestling Observer Yearbook that was just released a couple of months back and came across this blurb I had NEVER heard about the Michaels/Hart locker-room shoot and fallout:

A. That's batshit crazy.

B. Who in the wrestling business would you guys leave your inheritances to?? 

Prichard talked about that on his podcast. He confirmed that it was definitely true but he said it was more like 1993 or 94. I suppose it's possible he was left the money in like 93-94 and didn't get the payout until 96-97 if some family protested it, sort of like the Anna Nicole Smith deal.