DVDVR Message Board

Secret Santo Holiday Season 2020

Matt D

This is from the 1993 Real World Tag League. I have trying to go back and watch some older AJPW tags as the ongoing Real World Tag League has been fairly disappointing. I am familiar with everyone in this match but I have seen nothing from Big Boss Man in Japan, curious how his style will translate.

We are joined in progress with Kawada and Williams in the ring. Kawada's legs are targeted early on. Crowd seems split early on and Taue fairs little better against the bulk of the Americans. Bossman bounces off the ropes with a sick closed fist. A nasty slam to Kawada's shin on the guard rail by Williams.

I never imagined Kawada as the face in peril. The crowd is behind him. He seems to actually be in some danger here, which helps.

Taue hits Williams with a stiff shot to break up a Boston Crab. Bossman is laying it in here. Now Taue is getting beaten down. Handspring back elbow by Williams! Didn't know he could do that! Closed fists are never enforced, Bossman must be calling the ref's bluff. Williams is tossing and suplexing Taue with ease. Kawada is back in but his kicks don't have as much behind them. A lariat works. Gets a power bomb on Williams but Bossman breaks it up. It's breaking down now, a stretch plum is also broken up by Bossman and Williams hits a lariat. Gutwrench power bomb by Williams but it only gets a 2 count. So refreshing to not hear a bunch of dorks shout TWO!! in response.

Jumping enziguri staggers the now legal man in Bossman and Taue gets the big tag. Bossman is able to survive by dragging Taue near Williams who clubs Taue until Bossman can hit a spinebuster and a splash for 2. It breaks down again and Kawada nails Williams with a running kick, sending him out of the ring. Taue with a superplex for 2. Bossman counters with a proto-black hole slam. Kawada just waltzes in and kicks Williams and then Bossman before calmly returning to his corner. Williams is left in the ring unattended and breaks up a Taue pinfall attempt. Bossman kicks out of the first chokeslam but has nothing left after the kick out. Kawada whips Williams into the barricade. Taue lands a second choke slam for the win.

I overall really enjoyed this match and I felt this was the appropriate set up for Bossman in AJPW. I felt the refereeing odd, maybe it was just the style? It felt like whomever was on the apron just entered/exited as they pleased and closed fists were allowed. I was always under the impression that closed fists was a big no no for Japan.

Thank you to @moribund for the suggestion. I wanted to give you a more recent match with those 4 because I really like the more recent work I've seen from Lee, Zeus and Nomura but alas. Glad you still found some enjoyment in it!

Edited by Six String Orchestra
Added video
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:34 AM, El Gran Gordi said:

AxB: This is not very WoS, but it is a match that seemingly resurfaced after the Ugandan Headhunter passed away that was a huge positive surprise to me. 

OK, Kamala vs Hulk Hogan. A Racist gimmick vs a Racist Wrestler. Kamala is managed by both Kim Chee and the Grand Wizard. Hulk Hogan has a bunch of lines on his face. Drawn on his face, not age lines, he seems quite young here. There's even a tuft hair still growing out of the top of his head!

Kamala jumps Hogan as he gets into the ring, and there is clubbering. Whipping with the title, before Hogan makes an early comeback and nails a belt shot of his own. And then he goes out of the ring to beat up the management team, allowing Kamala to attack him as he gets into the ring again. Clubbering and choking, eye rake, bodyslam and a splash for two. Climbs up the turnbuckles and climbs back down again. Misses the splash and Hogan is back on offence. Eye rake and a choke with the tape from the bayface. Punches and chops. An Atomic Drop even. The crowd are going fucking mental for this shit, but they're doing fuck all. Bodyslam and a missed elbow drop to get Kamala back on the attack. Chopping and biting. Cannibalistic tendencies they say. Hogan throws powder in the eyes, and he goes outside to beat up the managers again. He hits Kamala with Kim Chee's horn (right in front of the ref), hits the Legdrop and gets the win. Oh, it was no DQ, OK. 

There's four minutes left of the video and the match is over already. Kamala's out of there. Is he just going to pose this whole time? Yes. Yes he is. No, wait, Andre the Giant just showed up. Andre's got the belt. Hulk wants the belt. Andre gives Hulk the belt, and leaves. And more posing.

Yeah, there really wasn't anything to this match at all. It was Hogan in the 80s, if you've seen one match, you've seen all of them. Well, he didn't Hulk Up in this one, so that's something. But on the whole, it's just nothing. The fans in attendance seemed to love it though, so yay for them.

Although I don't share Natural's opinion on everything, I'm totally with him on his assessment of Hulk Hogan. 

• Like 2

Buddy Rose vs Roddy Piper: Lumberjack Match

I’ve been craving diving into more Buddy Rose recently, so this was a real treat. But not only for him, it was a pleasant reminder of how much I love Piper. I’ve always had a soft spot for him. When I was younger I was a WWF kid, but I’d still mark out for the annoying guy in the kilt on the other show. Then when I got into the Internet wrestling world, Piper footage from the 80’s and early 90’s endeared me into calling him one of my favorites. So instead of looking at this match as something I’ll do a full on write up for, I just sit back and enjoyed and pondered moments and things I’ve found interesting.

I love the casual outfit of the ref. Really works with the aesthetic of the Portland territory. 

The lumberjack gimmick added to the match. The commentator (Who was wonderful) talking about the movement on the outside. The picture was painted so well, that the camera could stay on the main focus of the wrestlers and we’d still feel the tension of the outside. Ed Wiskowski being the X factor, and the other lumberjacks walking near him in an attempt to equalize him. Also, the toss ins were excellent. Roddy getting his hair grabbed on the first roll in and then bounced back and forth to Buddy’s stomping. Rose being held in the air, legs higher than his head, and chucked in. 

I love how Buddy and Piper’s bodies move. Especially together. Roddy’s exciting running in place before a big strike. The way Buddy will almost over-sell with a giant jump, but it’s far from “over” in that it fits perfectly. Maybe my favorite whip to the turnbuckle as Rose runs with Roddy’s head in his hand and the way Piper smashes his back to the corner. They fit so well together. There was another toss to the corner where Piper whips Rose and Rose goes head first and pauses against the turnbuckle as he slowly falls. Just beautiful work. Piper’s punches were also picture perfect. There were three specifically that landed that I’m still thinking about. Buddy reacted phenomenally.

The ending worked for me. Everybody leaves happy and you still have room for more down the line. I do think it’s worth noting that it’s pretty safe to say the ref saw all of the interferences from both sides. But, it is what it is. Maybe the territory was more relaxed with that? 

Piper is a wonderful heel. But it was heartwarming seeing his big smile as the crowd erupted for him.

Maybe I should go through the entire Piper v Rose feud to embrace the entire context of the story. I enjoyed this very much. Thank you, @NikoBaltimore

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

@El Gran Gordi, my friend, have you ever seen the Battle of Atlantic City?

You know the deal in reverse. Just give me something you love and I'll be happy to watch it.

I have not seen this! Looks like fun.

Here's some 1979 WWWF right back at you, the second match I've given in this project featuring a recently deceased wrestler, and in my opinion a pretty great thought experiment in how to work an "escape the cage" type of match brought to vivid life:

I have other ideas if you'd prefer something else for whatever reason.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IIRC, @Curt McGirt, you were not up to speed on NWA/early-90s WCW. 

In that case, maybe I'm introducing you to what DVDVR has long argued is one of the greatest, if not THEE greatest, thrown-together short-term tag team of all time: Rick Rude and Manny Fernandez.

I picked one of the shorter matches they had against the RnRs, but all of them in that series were bangers, basically: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

@Morganti, have you seen the recent GHC title match between Katsuhiko Nakajima and Go Shiozaki? If so, I have another idea. I thought this was really good. 

Never seen it! I liked noah back pre misawa passing. So.

I'll find you something fun and stuff.  Do you have any fuck no not that match restrictions?!

7 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

the recent GHC title match between Katsuhiko Nakajima and Go Shiozaki

Hey thanks for posting this, the prior file that was in the 2020 thread had the sound improperly synched so it ruined my watch. 

Also, expect reviews of probably all of these matches from me in the next couple days. Phew, you guys picked what looks like a murderer's row this time.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Rock 'n Roll Express vs. Manny Fernandez/Rick Rude

My experience with Manny Fernandez is extremely limited. I think probably about three matches, with the main one being the Invader 3 blood-vomit scenario. Rick I'm pretty well familiar with, but the Rock'n'Rolls not so much either really. Big blind-spot here so I'm happy to have gotten this. 

The key word for this match is HEAT. From the very start everybody is taking this molten crowd and manipulating them like a ball of clay. Boring old Paul Jones (who looks ridiculous) even gestures taking off his suit-jacket to rile them. David Crockett on commentary is responding like someone IN the crowd, which is absolutely perfect. We start with Rick tossing Ricky like he's gonna atomic drop him but straight across the ring to show off his strength to which Ricky cowers at first to sell it which I just love, but then the Rocks do dual atomic drops and dropkick them out of the ring to turn the tables. Since Rick misses the sell of the atomic drop he makes up for it by getting backdropped on his tailbone and does what he'd do in the other situation. The Rocks are surprisingly doing a lot of quick tags and working the arms of both men which I thought would be the other way around. Bull keeps responding to offense with his karate pose and Rick hilariously does a drop-down and gets a fistdrop for his trouble. I don't think I've ever seen someone do that. Crockett is cracking me up: "How's the arm feel? Is it tingling yet?" 

There's a moment when Robert has Rick in a crossface/armbar and Ricky pulls the rope away while Rick is reaching for the rope and I have a eureka moment: They're working an opposites match. What Ricky and Robert are doing are exactly what Manny and Rick would be doing otherwise. Usually it'd be Ricky in there getting beat up and selling but they decided to flip the script for this one. There's a commercial cut and it feels like a real live break so a couple minutes are missing, but the heels are back in control. AND NOW ROBERT GIBSON IS PLAYING RICKY MORTON AND GETTING BEAT ON FOR THE HOT TAG! Holy shit. Gibson finally gets his tag and it breaks down but Paul Jones holds a chair over the buckle for Bull to Inoki Ricky's arm on, then he does some not-so-great strikes on said arm with the chair and Tommy calls it. 

This was great in that it not only was a change of the regular match they probably took around the loop, but it also worked to continue the feud and work an angle into it with Ricky's arm getting busted up worse. It felt like a middle chapter in a novel. That's pretty good storytelling. I also have to say that Tommy Young was a killer ref through the whole thing and nobody ever really mentions in the annals of great referees. That dude was flying over people like a bird and telling both teams to cool their shit the whole time, really effective work. I wish I was one of you that grew up watching this shit because you had it made. 

• Like 2

Tully/A Mulkey was a great cherry on top of the sundae that was Rock'n'Rolls vs. Rude/Bull. "Tully Blanchard Enterprises"? Get the fuck outta here. What a great way to underline the yuppie unwholesomeness of the Four Horsemen and Tully himself, the worst of all of them. A Mulkey (referred to by JJ as "Randall" haha) was summarily beaten in insulting fashion and they basically said that it was a squash too. I'm glad these things still exist in wrestling today because they rule. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

@Octopus So, Britwres Past and Present, eh? Here's the recent past in the style of the distant past:

Rounds and Best of three falls, of course.

There's a wrestler named Jerry Bakewell? Oh man, I hope some prescient booker has run an angle where he's cheated on his kayfabe love interest so that they can loudly call him out as "that Jerry Bakewell tart."

FIVE STARS if that has ever happened. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I have not seen this! Looks like fun.

Here's some 1979 WWWF right back at you, the second match I've given in this project featuring a recently deceased wrestler, and in my opinion a pretty great thought experiment in how to work an "escape the cage" type of match brought to vivid life:

I have other ideas if you'd prefer something else for whatever reason.

This was great. Loved it. I'm sure I've seen it but not for a decade. This was a rare WWF title cage match which had neither a superhero (Bruno/Hogan) or a monster (Bossman/Bundy). They went right at it to start with Backlund getting an early advantage and a few good whacks into the cage. Patterson didn't blade at this point. Generally, I like the cage use built to, but it fit into Backlund's bombastic sort of shine. Early on, Patterson would go for the door more and Backlund towards the top more, as heels and faces ought to, though as the match went on, the desperation grew as well. In the first half, they built to two big set pieces on the top of the cage, the first being two or three minutes long. Patterson was so good at creating moments where you simply didn't have to suspend disbelief. There wasn't much to suspend. There was no waiting around. There was selling, or getting his foot stuck and being unable to capitalize, or being positioned so Backlund could grab a leg or ankle. The first battle ended with Patterson sneaking in a low blow and the second with him grabbing the turnbuckle, which he then used to open up Backlund huge and really take over. You want a really solid, really clear and clean moment of comeback in a match like this, and we got it with Backlund cutting Patterson off and hitting a catapult into the cage (causing the Patterson blading we didn't get earlier). From there, they built to one last moment at the top of the cage. You have to know that coming into this, Patterson had comported himself extremely well against Backlund 3 times at MSG (a 4 match series vs the champ was unheard of) using brass knucks at the end of each match, basically. Here, he pulls them out for a last attempt but Backlund dodges at the top of the cage and they go tumbling. From there, he's able to hit the world's biggest atomic drop (cage assisted in the set up) and just able to crawl out and fall backwards down the stairs, kicking Patterson off all the way. Maybe he could have knocked Patterson back into the ring when they were on the top and went over but this protects their intercontinental champ as well. The fans were up for pretty much all the big stuff here and popped huge on the finish. And well they should have since everything at the top of the cage was pretty exciting, especially for the time.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

Slash Venom vs. Ricky Banderas

Banderas is Mil Muertes (!!!), but I don't know who Slash Venom is, at least in that gimmick. He looks sort of familiar, but the tape is blurry. So, these dues come out and go straight to throwing bombs. There's a cane and a spinebuster and a press slam that looks pretty dangerous because dude gets tossed onto the top rope. Banderas is one of those dudes that isn't that tall, but if I didn't know it, I'd guess he's six-six. Super-imposing. 

Venom's bleeding early already, and tables and chairs are brought into the mix. I feel like this would be a better match to watch if I could get a sense of what happened in the feud between them; the crowd is definitely into it, but I don't think the match quite projects "feud-ender" (or "feud-continuer") in the way that some matches do even when watched in a vacuum.

That's not to say there's no value to it! Venom does a springboard elbowdrop onto Banderas...through a table...while gushing from his forehead. IDK if that's something that should really happen five minutes into a match, even if it's one between dudes who hate each other, when there are still ten-plus minutes to go. It is, however, pretty fucking cool as a spot. 

Still, the basic structure makes sense, even if the reasoning behind the level of violence and quick, bomb-throwing start would probably be useful background. Banderas comes out a house-a-fire, busts open the bad guy, bad guy turns the tables, Banderas comes back from certain death to turn the match around. Savio Vega gets involved, I'm pretty sure, to stop Banderas from getting his chair-smashing revenge in order to tease out the eventual chairshot to Venom that gives the crowd their release. Some Savio shenanigans later, they're way the hell up in the crowd pushing an incensed lady out of her cheap seat and doing a balcony-drop spot that ends up with Venom taking what can only be described as an absolutely stupid bump down from the balcony to the ground directly. Like, genuinely fucking dumb. It sort of ruins the match for me because there is only so much that I can ignore the utter damage done to the bodies and brains of pro wrestlers before a spot like that totally turns me off. I guess I'm part of the post-CTE fan-guilt brigade. 

This match was very much Banderas doing a Hulk Hogan-tribute act. He Hulked Up, kicked out of the aforementioned elbow drop and a DDT onto a table while also dodging or coming back from outside interference from Savio. But then, that bump really just took me out of it. There's a beatdown on Banderas and obviously, Savio's doing a Mr. McMahon sort of deal here, and I've seen him do this in another match that I watched from this time period. I think I would have enjoyed this more a) with some of the background behind the feud, but b) also in the before-times when I would just flip out over a wild bump like that without processing the utter danger and stupidity of said spot.

Man, I'm getting soft. I think this is really about me and not about the match, and it probably does have its own part in explaining why I don't watch wrestling as much anymore. It's also wholly hypocritical - bumping multiple times in-ring is going to do significant damage later, too, but I could watch that. Hell, I watched Venom hit that elbow and enjoyed it. Don't mind me, I have arbitrary limits.

On another, less morose note, I think Banderas is way better under a mask doing an undead Aztec warrior gimmick. He's also probably better off in a place like LU where he looked gigantic compared to a lot of those dudes. He was doing too much bumping and selling for me because honestly, his perfect role is throwing dudes around and being stoic and nigh unshakeable. However, despite that, I did enjoy this well enough before that bump. 

• Like 2

@Smelly McUglyI probably should have mulled over that before giving it to you. I was thinking "holy shit that bump was crazy I have to give this to somebody" instead of "holy shit that was a terrible botch and a dangerous idea for a spot that they shouldn't have done". Probably what they should have sat down and thought about themselves. I was also blanking on what to give until I thought of the Blood thread. I'll think up something better for you, what are your blind spots?