DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

How can YOU KNOW SOMETHING BROTHER be hated?

That's in part why I hate it. Growing up, it's something Hogan said, just like Macho Man said "yeah" a lot in his promos. It's totally fine to have a verbal tick, we all do. When the verbal tick you have is do recognizable as something another wrestler used, it always takes me out of the moment. In my mind, a wrestler other than Hogan starting a sentence with "you know something" is no different than a wrestler other than Austin randomly ending sentences with "and that's the bottom line". It's so linked to another performer that I think the person saying it is just play acting instead of finding their own voice.
  • Like 1

That's in part why I hate it. Growing up, it's something Hogan said, just like Macho Man said "yeah" a lot in his promos. It's totally fine to have a verbal tick, we all do. When the verbal tick you have is do recognizable as something another wrestler used, it always takes me out of the moment. In my mind, a wrestler other than Hogan starting a sentence with "you know something" is no different than a wrestler other than Austin randomly ending sentences with "and that's the bottom line". It's so linked to another performer that I think the person saying it is just play acting instead of finding their own voice.

You must have really hated Val Venis pre-match promos.

Well, the thing is...

• Like 1

Back to Sunny for a minute...

She was amazingly hot in 1994-1997. Women in wrestling up until that point were generally dogs, save the occasional Elizabeth or Missy Hyatt (who wasn't that hot, just slutty). But to go along with the looks, Sunny was a male pro wrestling fans wet dream come true - a decent looking chick who was TOTALLY into pro wrestling. Unlike Elizabeth, for example, who never seemed to care much and probably couldn't tell you the difference between a wristlock and a wrist watch, Sunny was a wrestling nerd. Her SMW gimmick of being the privileged girl from the private school was really good and why they changed that so much in WWF I will never understand. Plus, she was one of the few females in wrestling (even up until this day) who could actually cut a good promo and had charisma beyond just being hot. She had many appeals - hot, smart, into wrestling, and a good performer. 

Constantly talking about "her hero, Hillary Clinton" was just GIGANTIC heat in Smoky Mountain, unbelieveably enough.

She was always just incredibly hot, but the fake boobs kinda made it all about the fake boobs when she was hot long before that. I understand why every woman in the WWF has to have fake boobs, but it was still sad to me at the time that she had to do that to "make it" when she was really talented and plenty hot enough without the fake boobs. 

You must have really hated Val Venis pre-match promos.

I was never quite sure if the "Big Valbowski" referred to him or just his penis.  (Until they started billing him as just The Big Valbowski.)

i'm setting up a Real Estate Steve v. Undertaker match at Wrestlemania. Where Steve first encounters the Undertaker when the Undertaker does the situp while riding shotgun with some other wrestler. Followed by Real Estate Steve buying the Undertaker's family funeral home to redevelop it into housing for Craig T. Nelson from Poltergeist

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure 

is and forever will be the greatest wrestling news site headline I will ever see.

Another reason to love John Cena. His girlfriend comes to gloat "OMG" about one of her fellow female wrestlers pissing herself in the ring. Cena's just like "whatever, I shit my pants! No biggie!"

• Like 1

I'm not saying AJ wasn't into nerd shit... I'm saying it sounds forced these days when I see someone interviewing her. I think she's soured on the stuff she used to like. Speaking of Mortal Kombat, one thing WWE is missing right now is a striker gimmick. I guess that's what K.O. was doing but.... yeah...

I'm not saying AJ wasn't into nerd shit... I'm saying it sounds forced these days when I see someone interviewing her. I think she's soured on the stuff she used to like. Speaking of Mortal Kombat, one thing WWE is missing right now is a striker gimmick. I guess that's what K.O. was doing but.... yeah...

That is definitely plausible.  I used to be into all manner of nerd shit like anime and Shadowrun, but grew out of it, even though I still kinda hang with that crowd.  I like the stuff from back when I got into it, but I don't see newer stuff.  My outlook on pro wrestling is almost the same.

Undertaker-Best Pure Striker in WWE History.  Wade Barrett throws an elbow.  Just be happy with that.