RIPPA

Just zipped through on youtube a 1988 WWC super show featuring

Valiant / Rufus r Jones vs Samoans

Spivey v Wahoo

Sheepherders v Batten Twins

Ron Garvin v Iron Sheik

Miguel perez/ hurricane castillo vs jaggers / kroffat

Carlos vs hercules ayala in a fire match

Just zipped through on youtube a 1988 WWC super show featuringValiant / Rufus r Jones vs SamoansSpivey v WahooSheepherders v Batten TwinsRon Garvin v Iron SheikMiguel perez/ hurricane castillo vs jaggers / kroffatCarlos vs hercules ayala in a fire match

Not bad but the greatest WWC lineup ever was Aniversario '90. Need proof?  Three words: Abdullah versus Zeus.

And Robocop too!

Alright, so what's the story behind Cena putting over "Claudio" that's behind the paywall?

After the match Cena called out Cesaro to translate for him. After saying some nice words about the German crowd, he then wanted to say something about Cesaro which Antonio wouldn’t translate so Cena did it in english saying that Cesaro “went from small shows year after year [..] and is finally standing here in Germany [..] and has earned the respect of the WWE! [..] I also want to thank you for believing in Antonio Cesaro, his first night on a main stage in front of a German crowd! I have been around the world many times and know a good thing when i see one… Claudio… and yes i call you Claudio [..] you know i am talking for real! Congratulation for coming home, this guy has the makings for a future champion.[..]” Then he asked Claudio to hold on to his belt and threw the Title it to him. Claudio was humbled but said there is the wrong name on the plate and gave it back, but promised he would be back in Germany one day as the WWE Champion. Also he finished off by saying whenever he says “we the people” the means the German fans, where he started his career 12 years ago here in Germany. Then he went to the fans and signed several autographs until the staff dragged him away so they could clean the ring.

• Like 8

So on this Chris Hero thing if he was released because he wouldn't work out then he is the only one to blame it's not an injustice it's his fault for being so stubborn, I've said it before I haven't last longer then two weeks (on two separate occasions) going to the gym but if my appearing on national television wrestling live every week then id be in that gym working out every day even if it was for an hour. Yeah it would've been cool to see Hero on TV but if he's gonna start fighting them this early on what employer would promote a person like that? This isn't Stone Cold refusing to lose to Brock with no build but a guy in Development they asked to bulk up a little bit so they could put him on TV.

I still feel like the Benoit situation led to a lot of people in our group to look at wrestling a different way and to find different ways to enjoy it, to emphasize certain aspects as good and to turn our back on some old excessive workrate mainstays. I think we really took a look at how wrestling matches worked and found different things to value and like. A lot of us came to find a new appreciation of things like match layout and working a crowd, in working smart instead of working hard, at the why behind moves instead of just the how  they were executed or how much wrestlers did. Richards isn't just a dinosaur when it comes to a lot of our tastes but he's the logical evolution of a dinosaur. He's some crazy horrific lizard man gone wrong. 

Taking out looks/wrestling,etc, Davey always unsettles me a bit because he's got that exact same "argghh! Love the business! Live for the business!!" mentality Benoit did.

Not that he's ever going to kill anyone, but situations like this never ever end well.

The Hero release makes a ton of sense.  WWE told him to get in better shape and he did...then he kinda stopped looking better...started looking worse.  And stopped making a show that he was trying to lose weight and in a Vince McMahon/Triple H WWE, you can't do that.  I mean, if your dream is to be in WWE, you've got to reconcile yourself to the fact that if you're not a specific character (big Bulgarian dude, massive hillbilly battler), you're going to have to at least make a show that you're trying to get into top shape, if not actually being in top shape.  There was a story that WWE told him that he needed to be in better shape, and he refused to do the extra work to get into better shape.  It's clear WWE HAD major plans for him, putting him into a program with Regal, putting him into a program with the Wyatts, and they felt he didn't work enough in the gym to reciprocate their attention.  

You can argue all you want that being ripped/cut has nothing to do with in-ring ability and, to a degree, you'd be right, but you can't argue that you don't have to be in shape to be in WWE.  It's like modeling.  If you want to model and you're overweight, it won't impact your ability to pose for photos or walk down a runway.  If you want to model and you're overweight, most companies aren't going to hire you, because that's not the image you want.  WWE is an image-based business, so if want to work there, hit the gym!

It doesn't make sense.  For something to make sense, it has to be rational, and dismissing a guy for having the physique of Goldust is not rational.  It's totally understandable.  The WWE puts a heavy emphasis on looks and are in a position where they can be obstinate about people's careers.  I don't think people here think it isn't understandable.

I would draw a pretty firm distinction between something making sense and something being understandable.  Jake Roberts having a drink make no fucking sense.  There is no real upside and literally every downside.  I think we can all agree on that.  However, it's totally understandable.  Demoting Bryan (which I don't think they're doing, but it's the narrative on this forum so I'll use it in service of a different point) makes no sense.  The WWE is in pretty strong need of main event babyfaces and nobody is getting a reaction from the crowd the way Bryan is except Cena and Big Show, and Big Show is not a long-term wrestler at this point.  However, it's totally understandable that the WWE would do this; they did it to, of all people, RVD when they were the absolute most desperate for a guy to get a reaction during their biggest storyline ever.  Of course they'd be willing to do it to Bryan.

Alright, so what's the story behind Cena putting over "Claudio" that's behind the paywall?

After the match Cena called out Cesaro to translate for him. After saying some nice words about the German crowd, he then wanted to say something about Cesaro which Antonio wouldn’t translate so Cena did it in english saying that Cesaro “went from small shows year after year [..] and is finally standing here in Germany [..] and has earned the respect of the WWE! [..] I also want to thank you for believing in Antonio Cesaro, his first night on a main stage in front of a German crowd! I have been around the world many times and know a good thing when i see one… Claudio… and yes i call you Claudio [..] you know i am talking for real! Congratulation for coming home, this guy has the makings for a future champion.[..]” Then he asked Claudio to hold on to his belt and threw the Title it to him. Claudio was humbled but said there is the wrong name on the plate and gave it back, but promised he would be back in Germany one day as the WWE Champion. Also he finished off by saying whenever he says “we the people” the means the German fans, where he started his career 12 years ago here in Germany. Then he went to the fans and signed several autographs until the staff dragged him away so they could clean the ring.

My heart just swelled...

I hope there's video.

My heart just swelled...

I hope there's video.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Jc1YZ10b0

• Like 6