DVDVR Message Board

An Extensive Background In Talking - SDL - 11/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

31 minutes ago, Peck said:

I may be the only one, and I totally understand that it's a storyline, but as a 39-year-old male I find the Murphy(32) and Aalyah(Just turned 19 in August) romance fairly nauseating.

I'm 35 and feel the same way.

• Like 2

If you told me a year ago that Jey Uso would become one of the most compelling characters on the roster, I would have laughed.  I have no idea where they go with him, but either direction seems interesting.  I'm still thinking he snaps and beats the stuffing out of Roman and faces him again down the line, but I thought they'd play him up as a reluctant conflicted heel if they were going that route (similar to HBK having to work for JBL some several years ago).  Instead they've gone all in and made Jey a vicious shitbag with psycho tendencies.  It's quite easy to hate Jey right now.  He's brutal.  Those chair shots on Otis looked sick (and it looked like he walloped Otis in the head a couple times).

Could have done without the 2 dozen camera cuts during Otis beatdown.  Camera seemed to be barely catching the action at times.  Sigh.  Kevin Dunn.

Are they finally going to do something with Big E?

Big E's segment with Sami was nice.

Bianca/Nattie was fine while it lasted. Bianca vs. Bayley should be good when it goes down. Its nice to see them trying to give Bianca a big match already.

Was good seeing Sasha get some payback on Carmella. 

Loved everything surrounding Jey attacking people and Owens beating his as for it at the end. The call out to Roman was great and has me looking forward to Roman vs. Owens. Had a feeling they might go this direction with Owens being a family man as apart of his character, just wasn't sure when. Still I really hope they don't rob us of Bryan vs. Roman during this reign.

49 minutes ago, Peck said:

I may be the only one, and I totally understand that it's a storyline, but as a 39-year-old male I find the Murphy(32) and Aalyah(Just turned 19 in August) romance fairly nauseating.

I think age differences like these can be creepy when they are in this age range, but I also know its just a tv show and nothing legit. Honestly, it bothers me more because I don't think its interesting tv or a good route for Murphy or the Mysterios.  

• Like 1

Roman Reigns continues to be the hottest thing going on in WWE since his surprise SummerSlam return. Guessing it's Reigns vs. Owens at TLC. Like, @Eivion, I really don't want to be robbed of Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan. Wanted to see them go at it again ever since their Fastlane 2015 match. Don't see it talked up as much as other Roman Reigns matches.

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I think age differences like these can be creepy when they are in this age range, but I also know its just a tv show and nothing legit. Honestly, it bothers me more because I don't think its interesting tv or a good route for Murphy or the Mysterios.  

Kinda of the same for me.  I have two daughters a bit older than Aalyah and the idea of them even flirting with a 30-year-old is disturbing.  But, it's a storyline and a tame one at that.  There's no on-screen affection or anything really questionable beyond the premise.  If they turn up in bed together in a vignette, I'll have a bigger problem.  This happens occasionally in Hollywood, where actors in teen soaps and the like are sometimes much older or younger than their characters, so you get couples whose characters are about the same age, but the actors portraying them are not.  And, honestly, the parts of the relationship presented onscreen are much more chaste than they would be on Riverdale (iirc, Archie was having an affair with his teacher in the pilot episode of Riverdale).

As Elvion said, my bigger gripe is that I don't need the Mysterio family on my tv this much.  I tend to blame Rey more for this than Vince.  i doubt that Vince came up with all of this organically.  I'd prefer Rey be the one objecting to parentage storylines and May-December (sorta) romance angles.  I doubt this gets on tv every week without Rey's approval.

As least Dominick hasn't been in the ring as much lately.  I'm not sure an awful feud with Corben is better than an  awful feud with Seth.  And I hated tonight's booking where the Mysterios acted like jerks and did the same stuff heels do in matches, but we're not supposed to care since the babyfaces are interfering to goof with the heel.

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see how Jimmy factors into Roman/Jey once he returns. After all, it was Jimmy who threw in the towel despite Jey saying no at CoC, then got choked out by Roman at HIAC, forcing Jey to quit to save his brother. With how Roman is in full gaslighting mode, he could easily have the Usos competing for his favor as he manipulates them to turn on each other.

Aalyah-Murphy bugs me not just because of the age difference. Considering that wrestling went through the Speaking Out movement with WWE having talent accused of grooming--it feels tone deaf to run a story like that so soon after the real accusations, even if that isn't happening onscreen. I guess they figure if Rey is cool with it, then it's not a problem.

Billie Kay is hilarious. She got 30 seconds to do something, and she nailed it.

• Like 4

I liked how Jey put over Drew , while still being Romans hype man. Something that WWE doesn't do nowadays is put someone over in defeat. I'm sure Survivor Series wasn't the last time Roman and Drew face off so I'm sure that's a reason he did it plus Heyman has an interest in making sure Drew gets over but was impressed that they did that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

This makes no sense. Carmella looks at the "Boss" ring, nothing, it turns to the camera so she can't see it anymore, then she reacts. But hey, let's have women throw drinks on each other. Viva la Women's Evolution.

there's a Red Dwarf episode where they discover mutated film developer fluid that allows them to time travel but only within the frame of what they have photographs of; nothing outside the borders of the picture exists or is accessible.

Clearly the WWE universe is governed by the same ludicrous physical laws as TV Sci-Fi SitComs because Carmella was completely unable to see Banks until we were.