DVDVR Message Board

The WON HOF THREAD

OSJ

• 4 weeks later...

For today's update

I'm more than halfway done on Hall of Fame ballot counting. There are four locks, five very close and a couple of others who probably won't make it this year but still have a shot.

I would guess it will still be a few more weeks before the results are announced unless Dave has some of the writeups already done

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For today's update

I would guess it will still be a few more weeks before the results are announced unless Dave has some of the writeups already done

Kazuchika Okada will be one of the locks for sure. Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi and CM Punk as the four? Hope Akira Taue finally makes it.

Dave tweeted this:

"I've probably got more than half the votes counted for the Hall of Fame. At this point there are four locks and five others between 57 and 59.9 percent which is crazy, one of which is a huge surprise but totally deserving."

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

For today's update

I’ll be curious how the results that the WON HOF Tracker published match up with the actual voting. 

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dave posted tonight that the HOF will be the next issue. There are five new inductees.

Kazuchika Okada is a certainty. I'll guess CM Punk, Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi and I don't know for the fifth. Sgt Slaughter? Hope this is the year Akira Taue finally makes it in.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kazuchika Okada is a certainty. I'll guess CM Punk, Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi and I don't know for the fifth. Sgt Slaughter? Hope this is the year Akira Taue finally makes it in.

It is rare that that many from the same "era" get in

It most likely will be Okada, old guy that Dave puts in that no one cares about, a luchadore (since the lucha voters seemed to be working through the back log), one person from the non-wrestler category and someone else

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It is rare that that many from the same "era" get in

It most likely will be Okada, old guy that Dave puts in that no one cares about, a luchadore (since the lucha voters seemed to be working through the back log), one person from the non-wrestler category and someone else

Good call. Kazuchika Okada is the guarantee, a first ballot inductee. I don't think he'll beat Kenta Kobashi's 98% tally. AEW helps CM Punk's case. I think Tetsuya Naito and Kota Ibushi will get in at some point. Tomohiro Ishii if he does is on workrate/match quality, that was how Chris Benoit got in. Eddie Guerrero was posthumously as one of the greatest all rounders ever.

Edited by The Natural

Dave posted a correction tonight in that it will only be 4 inductees.

Apparently someone was exactly at 60% but that was actually rounded up to 60% (basically they were at like 59.9999% or something like that) and Dave isn't inducting them because that is the way baseball does it for their Hall of Fame

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dave posted a correction tonight in that it will only be 4 inductees.

Apparently someone was exactly at 60% but that was actually rounded up to 60% (basically they were at like 59.9999% or something like that) and Dave isn't inducting them because that is the way baseball does it for their Hall of Fame

I swear if this is what happens to Taue I will complain on a message board so much...

• Like 2

Mistico/Caristico was the person who Dave originally said would be in but then wasn't

His percent ended up being 59.7% (It worked out that you needed 75 votes in the Mexico category - he finished with 74)

The fact that Dave doesn't use decimals in his initial counting is the really weird part in all this.

Okada got 92% which was the third highest in history

Of your list - the rest in order of their vote totals

• Ibushi - 54% (18 votes short)
  • Taue - 46%
  • Ishii - 38% (Got one more vote than Naito)
  • Naito - 38%

And just because I am sure you will ask ? - CM Punk - 33%

One note - Taue is being removed as a singles performer for next year and will be on the ballot with Kawada as a tag team due to the weird way Dave feels about guys being on the ballot twice at the same time (and Dave also doesn't like folks going in twice)

Ibushi came 13 votes from induction. In theory, Ibushi, Tomohiro Ishii, Tetsuya Naito and Akira Taue were all probably hurt a lot by Okada being on the ballot. For that reason, I could see Ibushi coming even closer next year if not going in. When I think of Taue, it’s really more the Toshiaki Kawada & Taue team as a Hall of Fame team more than Taue as a single.

In the past I’ve shied away from the idea of someone going in twice. But both Stan Lane, in as part of the Midnight Express, was on the ballot for the Fabulous Ones this year, although they didn’t get ten percent. Similarly, Buddy Roberts was in as part of the Fabulous Freebirds, and this year was on the ballot as part of the Hollywood Blonds. They also didn’t get ten percent.

Miguel Perez Sr., whose tag team with Argentina Rocca would have been along with the Road Warriors, the best drawing long-term tag team in history, didn’t stay on the ballot when put on. Rocca of course was a first year no-brainer inductee. But next year we are going to put four teams on, Rocca & Perez, Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood, Kawada & Taue and Jack & Jerry Brisco. While Taue did have some singles success, his primary success was with the team. With Jerry Brisco, it is the same. Ole Anderson had both but the Andersons were on the ballot forever and didn’t get in so his shot is as a single. But Taue and Brisco will be off as singles and put on as part of their tag team. And really I think it would be very difficult not to vote for Kawada & Taue and Rocca & Perez.

• Thanks 1

Big thank you, @RIPPA. Third highest in history for Kazuchika Okada. Deserved as a first ballot Hall of Famer. Who was second highest? I know Kenta Kobashi is #1 with 98%. Do you think Dave's right that Okada didn't help Kota Ibushi, Tetsuya Naito, Tomohiro Ishii and Akira Taue? Totally forgot about CM Punk.

Edited by The Natural

The people glaring on the list that didn't get in to me are CM Punk, Edge, Akira Taue, and Big Daddy. I can totally understand people's reasons on most of them, except Edge. Well, maybe I can for Edge because his return hasn't exactly done anything to prove that he should be in.

Throw Ibushi and Naito in too, but those two feel inevitable.

I'm highlighting Punk, Edge, Akira, and Big Daddy just because of how long they've been on the ballot and none of them are particularly close. Punk going from 15% to 33% is a big jump, but is still crazy low.

Is it just me or is it weird to see Punk not even in top 30 vote from active wrestlers?