DVDVR Message Board

What's for Thanksgiving Dinner?

OSJ

Okay, Kathy just went to the store with the intent of getting a small ham. There's just the two of us this year as her sisters and their families are all doing their own thing. So we don't have to worry about making something that we really could care less about (turkey) and just have what we like. So the menu is somewhat shortened since we don't need to make stuff like yams, etc. Here's what we're having:

Ham - Made properly with some pineapple glaze

Relish tray - Screw all that, we'll just have some black olives  (I may make some salt n' pepper shrimp for me, we'll see, Kathy refuses to even try them.)

Cornbread - With a can of creamcorn added, and maybe some peppers if I can sneak some in when Kathy isn't watching

Rolls - King Hawaiian (good stuff!)

Green beans - Kathy will have this, I do not eat green beans. 

Pecan pie  (I have had pecan pie every Thanksgiving since I was a little kid, I see no reason to break with tradition now.)

Okay, so whatcha having?

• Like 1

It's just the wife and I but we both love turkey so I'm cooking a full one.  My dad & aunt live down the street so I'll take some bird down to them and they'll make their own sides.

Turkey - Alton Brown's Good Eats turkey, like every year.  Turns out incredibly moist and flavorful

Garlic mashed potatoes

Sauteed green beans

Rolls - My other aunt is making my grandma's rolls and will bring some over to us on Thanksgiving Day

Pie - either pecan or sweet potato, I haven't decided yet.  I'm done sweet potato the past three years so maybe I'll mix it up this year.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and is the big yearly get together for my mom's side of the family, so I'm pretty bummed I won't be seeing them.  At least I'll get to see a few people from a distance and the rest over Zoom.

Same boat as Invader Zim- just me and the missus. That said, we'll probably trade some food with our friends and their son and Zoom with friends and fam at some point.

Turkey
Spiral ham
Apple & herb stuffing
Mashed potato casserole
String beans almondine
Cranberry sauce
Apple cake
Sweet potato cake

My ex-bae and I are no longer together, but my family has adopted the tradition from the Caribbean side of her family about not eating traditional Thanksgiving meals.  We all admitted to ourselves that we hate turkey.

My mom has developed Alpha-gal Syndrome so she can't digest red meat without having an allergic reaction so we'll probably go with Jamaican Curry Chicken and Jerk Pork for the entrees and roll with squash salad with kale & roasted garlic for the side.

And yes, the bread will be King's Hawaiian rolls because they are the fucking bomb!

We are not big desert eaters, so we'll probably just get a half gallon of butter pecan ice cream and leave it at that..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Just my wife, daughter and I this year instead of the 25-30 person standard family get together we have with my mom's family.  Normally my wife takes the week of Thanksgiving off, but this year she couldn't.  Since she has to work through Wednesday, we're kind of cheating and ordering two family meals from Cracker Barrel to pickup Wednesday and reheat on Thursday--country fried turkey with two sides of dumplings and meatloaf with two sides of fried apples.  I'm making my apple, sausage and cornbread dressing along with green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and cranberry relish.  We've got a Patti LaBelle sweet potato pie and tiramisu for dessert.   It's going to be different this year for sure.

• Like 1

Just me and the wife and the boy but I'm going big because 1. Fatness 2. I want several days if leftovers 

Doing a small turkey, mashed potatoes, sausage stuffing, brocolli rice casserole, green beans, cranberry sauce from a can, dinner rolls, and some pumpkin pie for dessert. 

Its me, my older brother, and dad for the most part though we expect my youngest sister and aunt to at least stop by. Not sure about my older sister, brother-in-law, and nephew. They don't celebrate the holidays that much though occasionally they drop by. The cooking is usually done by my younger sister and brother, but with my sister working she will just be doing sweet potatoes & greens this year. My brother is handling everything else in ham, turkey, mac& cheese, etc.

My uncle's back for the first time since he got out of jail and been allowed out of state in a decade (fraud in case you wondered) so mom's making the standard

Turkey

Pecan/Lemon/Pumpkin Pies

Dressing + Gravy

Cranberry whatever

Green bean whatever

Dad's rolls (100% greatness)

If I can convince them, garlic mashed potatoes. Need to write that down. 

I hate going by the book Xmas is always ham and I despise the thought... then get drunk and eat it anyway and it's always great. I will insist on eating Chinese on Friday because fuck having leftovers immediately. 

EDIT: I've been trying to convince them to fry another turkey again for years. They ALWAYS say no. "Too dangerous"... sure. We have way too much of a back yard with no trees for that. 

EDIT II: Reading that back, you know what I don't sound like? Thankful. And I am. Without my family this year I'd be in the street. I'm happy to have whatever they make if it makes my mom and uncle happy considering both their parents are gone and they need to be together and feel something familiar. And food brings us together. This is a holiday only really necessary for bringing us together, so whether you come together or can't, treasure the people you still have. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 7

While I would love to try wacky recipes for Thanksgiving I'll be going to my mom's.  They're all more about the traditional food so we'll be having so it's things like turkey, stuffing, mashed and sweet potatoes, green beans (I hear they're a delicacy /BrokenMatt), cranberry sauce, etc.   I honestly love pretty much all of that and toss in some pumpkin pie at the end and I'll be a happy camper.  My hope is to hike the trail beforehand as long as it doesn't rain so it doesn't do as much damage.  But we'll see how it goes.

I do worry with COVID going on about going to her house.  On top of that she also invited an elderly couple which had us worried.  But my mom's taking every precaution we can and we got our COVID tests done (both were negative)  So as long as we know what we're doing it should hopefully work out.

• Like 4

Be safe in your travels, Niko, my man.

20 hours ago, Contentious C said:

What's for dinner?

Work, that's what.

I hear ya.  I may also have to peek my head into the office on Thursday night or Friday morning.   US Army Pacific is holding the annual readiness drills with the Japanese SDF who give zero shits about American holidays.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2