DVDVR Message Board

UFC 255: Figueiredo vs. Perez (11/21/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

Catching up on the early prelims and hot damn there was a lot of violence in the Jouban and Gooden fight. Jouban looked done early in the second and then he started to connect with clean shots that took the wind out of Gooden's sails real quick. Both guys were hurt and exhausted late in the second so it was sloppy. Crazy near sub at the end there. Fun fight as per the usual with Jouban. I feel like he'd be a guy that could do well in Bellator. He's a pretty boy that has violent, entertaining fights. He's lost in the shuffle in UFC. 

19 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If a dude's speech is slurred after getting dropped like that, the corner should stop it. Fuck, I hate that aspect of MMA so much.

Would an orientation on brain damage (what little we know of it anyway) and second-impact syndrome help these fighters and trainers recognize that it's not bitch made to retire between corners?

This shouldn't even be in the hands of the corner with cageside (or ringside) physicians. That's one of the primary reasons they are there.

• Like 2

Holy fuck.  Royval's shoulder is skeeving me out.  What a tough break, but good work in the scramble by Moreno in that grappling clinic he put on.  Someone needs to teach that kid how to lock in a Twister.

Royval is the second fighter in a row that I have jinxed with positive commentary before the fight was over.  I feel strangely responsible for the loss.

Edited by J.T.

21 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Catching up on the early prelims and hot damn there was a lot of violence in the Jouban and Gooden fight. Jouban looked done early in the second and then he started to connect with clean shots that took the wind out of Gooden's sails real quick. Both guys were hurt and exhausted late in the second so it was sloppy. Crazy near sub at the end there. Fun fight as per the usual with Jouban. I feel like he'd be a guy that could do well in Bellator. He's a pretty boy that has violent, entertaining fights. He's lost in the shuffle in UFC. 

I think Jouban kinda knows his level at this point. He's extremely serviceable, but he's never really gonna be a contender. He's been in the UFC for a long, long time now. There were points where I thought UFC might cut him. I think they kept him on because they like him. In addition to that, he's had a job as a part time on air analyst for them. Bellator 2-3 years ago might have more sense for him. However, what is Bellator gonna offer him now that they are no longer in a big FA spending spree that he can't get from the UFC? Once the DAZN deal ends for them, I expect the purse strings to get even tighter.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Just opportunities. There is so much breathing room in those shallow bellator divisions.

Every time I watch her fight I think the exact same fucking thing. I missed most of this one thankfully.

To be fair, at least in this fight against this level of opposition, it's not like Calvillo is some savvy striker she has to overcome. Here, Chookagian was just a few touches better than Calvillo. And that's sorta the problem with Calvillo. This was her opportunity to have a breakout performance. However, once Calvillo realized she couldn't get a takedown, she looked pedestrian at best.

Dude, sending your opponent pics of you eatin' cheeseburgers and then missing weight by over 5 lbs, dabbing, and finally gassing in the third because of the cheeseburgers and poor mental approach is the definitive "Platinum" Mike Perry approach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gotta give it to Jennifer Maia. She could have took the Liz Carmouche route, choose not to fight, and just stunk up the joint. She fought and gave a good account of herself in a losing effort.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Gotta give it to Jennifer Maia. She could have took the Liz Carmouche route, choose not to fight, and just stunk up the joint. She fought and gave a good account of herself in a losing effort.

This. Rather have a fighter who is losing but keeps at it.

• Like 1

Sounds like they could've booked McGregor/Poirier before the end of the year ? 

Wasn't a card of the year candidate or anything, but most of the action was decent enough. 

I'm not going to say Perry should be released, but the fact that he was fighting last night and not in jail is mind-boggling. He probably shouldn't have even been fighting last night. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1