DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/18/2020

Dolfan in NYC

A Bill Apter reference and a likely Hangover-esque vignette next week = a thumbs-up show for me.

And my Hangover-esque vignette prediction from last week delivered. "Sammy, listen to Elvis."  lol

Thunder Rosa is my favorite female performer in the world right now. The ass-kicking she's going to give Reba on the buildup to Britt will be fabulous.

That was another fun show as always. Bucks/Top Flight was an amazing match. Matt Jackson though should take a break because it's painfully obvious his knee is really messed up. They could have used FTR taking out The Bucks as a good angle to let him get rest or surgery if he needs it. Plus we could get a mini Merchfreak Nick Jackson singles run for the TNT Title. But yeah Top Flight looked amazing. Just as good as Private Party in their debut. The prematch video did more to tell a story about who these guys were than anything the WWE has done to debut anyone new in years.

I did a double take when Moxley dropped Renee is pregnant. If Kenny didn't take him out, who did? 

Cassidy vs. Sabian was probably Kip's best match in AEW. Loved Miro on commentary. Miro/Cassidy is gonna rule. They need a third man on Team Miro to make it an official six man match war though.

AEW Is booking the NWA Women's title amazingly. How come they can't do that for their own title? That said, Rosa with a vendetta against Britt is going to be amazing. 

I agree Darby should not have eaten the super drill claw for the loss in the main event. Taz was there. Have him get his team DQ'ed or something. I don't get the point of putting Hobbs with them though. Hobbs had a Willie Mack in Lucha Underground vibe so I hate to see him turn.

Also I can't believe they're building up to Cody/Shaq. 

Overall a good show though despite Cody and his ego.

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Cody doing a shoulder block stalemate spot with Brian fucking Cage might be a new Peak Cody

This happened? Holy crap! Cody should have made Cage back off and cower in fear, by flashing the bionic elbow straight after that spot. Just as an icing on the cake, if you weeell!

PAC-Blade was a dreadfully laid out match. PAC running across the ring to the outside to confront Butcher so Blade could blindside him was nonsense that undercut every other blindside and distraction that was to come. That includes the post-match segment, where he should have known better. And that's not even touching on the ref at points clearly stretching for reasons to credibly not notice interference. Garbage on garbage for what should have been a better match between a near-ace in PAC and a seemingly-solid Blade. I was thoroughly disappointed in that bout. 

Miro was awful on commentary. No sense of timing (which he at times lacked in WWE when trying to bring his personality out) and a character not worth investing in. And then he goes off like a cannon in the post-match physicality. If only they could do more to play to his strengths.

Kip-OC was nothing. I'm over everything OC has and I never had any feel for Kip. Moves. Whatever.

Inner Circle are in bad comedy prison. Fast-forwarding, it doesn't seem I missed much.

Moxley's promo was one of his worst. None of his material about his father's message connected with me or made a lick of story sense. Not surprised the happy news blew past me. It was an off week for him. 

Taz is correct in calling out Darby's lame video playing while his guys just stand there. Darby's a very good worker, but his schtick wears thin on me. Good on Taz for giving my annoyance a voice. 

Thank god for Rosa and Deeb. The only match on this show anyone should go out of their way to see. Otherwise, a very weak episode of Dynamite. 

Hey, shit needs to get in and Cage is on a tight schedule! I wonder if Cage would be athletic enough to stop something like a spinning cross body in mid air and back off from the sight of the elbow? That way both guys could get something out of that homage spot.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

I wonder if the long term view is giving Cody the FTW title to be the alternative champion to Moxley?

Is it still in effect that Cody cannot challenge for the World title due to not beating Jericho? If so, then what you are suggesting makes a lot of sense to me!

8 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Wait one of the Top Flights was Airwolf in MLW?

Yep, the oldest brother was Air Wolf in MLW.

You didn't see him wearing the Air Wolf mask in the vignette before the match with the Young Bucks?

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

He actually used the Airwolf theme as his entrance music for a while when he was still wearing the mask full time. 

I am a MLW mark so I remember his walk outs very well.   Air Wolf also had a high profile win over Rey Fenix in MLW, so I am hoping that Death Triangle (El Triángulo de la Muerte!!!!) will not turn so far in the face direction that we can't get Wolf / Fenix II in AEW or maybe Top Flight vs. Lucha Brothers in the future.  

Either scenario would be good marketing for MLW because Excalibur would not be afraid to namedrop MLW during the match since Excalibur appears to be the new Mike Tenay.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

And we have a rough estimate of the time line where Mox might drop the belt for a bit since I would imagine he'd like to take a decent sabbatical to heal up and be there for his wife when she's about to birth that young 'un.

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, it's FTR that attacked Moxley, right? 

I think the odds on favorite is that it's someone from NJPW or maybe someone associated with the Elite.  Maybe Hangman Adam Page is trying to earn his way back into the Elite by helping Kenny to win the belt?

This Kenny Omega is the AEW World Title #1 Contender angle annoys the shit out of me.   When is that fucker going to defend the belt he already has on US television?  I hope Kenny has a regular schedule in AAA defending the Mega Championship because he sure as shit isn't putting the title on the line all that often in AEW.

Edited by J.T.

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, it's FTR that attacked Moxley, right? 

Anyway, really good show as always.

I think the obvious answer is the Young Bucks.   Kenny is becoming more of a heel.  The Bucks who are part of the same Elite are now kind of heels.  Or at least jerks.   It is pretty obvious Omega is winning the belt agian

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I think the obvious answer is the Young Bucks.   Kenny is becoming more of a heel.  The Bucks who are part of the same Elite are now kind of heels.  Or at least jerks.   It is pretty obvious Omega is winning the belt agian

They were only jerks leading up to the tag title match to get their edge back. They got it back, they won the titles, and they've pretty clearly been faces since.

Storyline wise, it makes the most sense for Hangman and Bucks to have a reunion because it's Hangman who went out of his way to try to apologize and make it up to the Bucks, it's Kenny who gave the Bucks an ultimatum and then left them at All Out, it's Kenny who has had the references to North Carolina in his entrance, FTR is from North Carolina, Kenny has been acting like a dick, FTR are already heels, and it would just make more sense for Kenny to align with FTR and Hangman to align with the Bucks.

• Like 1

I guess I don’t really see the problem with Darby dropping a fall to Cage here.  He’s an underdog character.  His whole thing is that he gets knocked down and keeps coming back.  He has to scrap for everything he’s got.  I don’t see why that should change just because he got a flash pin on Cody?  The whole message of his video this week, with the fire creeping up his leg from the TNT belt on the floor, was an acknowledgement that holding onto it could kill him.  Cage murdering him with the avalanche Drillclaw just emphasizes that point.

And Cage has yet to lose a decisive fall in AEW (or a decision of any kind since then Moxley match).  This is not WWE 50/50 booking.  Cage has been booked as a tough out for everybody.  This is clearly setting up Darby vs. Cage for the belt soon (a payoff to their feud that has been building since May), in which Darby will likely be the first guy in the company to beat him straight up.

This is fine.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yep, the oldest brother was Air Wolf in MLW.

You didn't see him wearing the Air Wolf mask in the vignette before the match with the Young Bucks?

I tuned in at 8:02 and the vignette was playing but I didn’t see any Airwolf just the brothers unmasked flying through the air. What I really remember about the vignette was that empty ass gym they were in and that it seemed like they were doing their craziest shit in front of nobody.

Edited by Web Conn

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

The whole message of his video this week, with the fire creeping up his leg from the TNT belt on the floor, was an acknowledgement that holding onto it could kill him.

I thought he lit his pants on fire to signify that he was a liar.

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, EVA said:

I guess I don’t really see the problem with Darby dropping a fall to Cage here.  He’s an underdog character.  His whole thing is that he gets knocked down and keeps coming back.  He has to scrap for everything he’s got.  I don’t see why that should change just because he got a flash pin on Cody?  The whole message of his video this week, with the fire creeping up his leg from the TNT belt on the floor, was an acknowledgement that holding onto it could kill him.  Cage murdering him with the avalanche Drillclaw just emphasizes that point.

And Cage has yet to lose a decisive fall in AEW (or a decision of any kind since then Moxley match).  This is not WWE 50/50 booking.  Cage has been booked as a tough out for everybody.  This is clearly setting up Darby vs. Cage for the belt soon (a payoff to their feud that has been building since May), in which Darby will likely be the first guy in the company to beat him straight up.

This is fine.

I suppose that is a glass half full way of looking at it, especially if Darby continues to blank Starks in singles competition and also gets by Hobbs in plucky underdog fashion on his way to a showdown with Cage where he is also triumphant in a match where he nearly dies again.

I just think that as a booker, I might've tried to protect Darby a little better after he just won his first major title regardless of the manner in which he won it.  I guess we should count ourselves fortunate that Darby still has the title and didn't get the WWE Lex Luger booking where he drops the belt days / hours after winning it.

If Cody's such an ace, let him take the Super Drillclaw and the pinfall.  Darby can then eat the Hobbs heel turn belt shot while trying to rescue Cody from the beatdown.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

A victory lap match outside of the angle may have been the most appropriate action. Like have him beat Spears or another midcarder and save this angle for next week.

Honestly I see Starks as the eventual star of Team Taz as Cage doesn't have the presence that would match his build and Hobbs is obviously green. 

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 3