DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15.

The Natural

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

The supposed depression stuff happened before he was somewhat exonerated. It was later admitted the actual person who did the blackballing was the assaulter's trainer who also partially owned the building. I will say that while Ospreay may have been innocent of actual blackballing of Pollyanna he was still an asshole to her over the situation and made a poor apology for it this summer. That said, I think putting him in the same vein as guys like Dream & Riddle is a bit much.

Ok thanks for the clarification. Yeah his apology was garbage. overall I think his biggest problem is that he’s a bit of an idiot and is kinda full of himself but isn’t nearly as bad as a guy like Riddle or Dream who can both go away.

I can see Great-O-Khan be a major player going forward. He debuted attacking the ace of NJPW, has a combat sports background, and the time is now to start pushing new guys up the cards. It was wise to stick him in WTL, get some experience on tour. 

I don’t know if Goto/MiSu would be my vote but it was the first match I thought of when I thought about the question. Nakamura/Styles popped in my head too as did the last two Naito/Okada matches but I’m biased to Naito 

• Like 2

Hiromu v Ospreay definitely ranks as my favourite WK match, not sure if I'd say it is the best (need to rewatch some of the above) but for me it is my number 1.

Honourable mentions to Nakamura v Ibushi and Nakamura v Sakuraba...I miss NJPW Nakamura.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Omega v Okada is my personal pick for best WK match too, remains my favourite match of either man's career so far.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:43 PM, El Gran Gordi said:

@The Natural

My personal pick would be MiSu vs Goto from WK 12. Might be Goto's best match ever. FWIW, I think the best Kenny vs Okada match was at Dominion '18. 

@El Gran Gordi

I'd say it was Hirooki Goto's best match ever. That's Minoru Suzuki for you

I also agree that the best of the four Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega matchea was at Dominion 2018 but it's close between that and the Wrestle Kingdom 11 match. Here's how I rank them:

4. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. Dominion 2017. ****1/2.

3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. G1 Climax 27, Day 18. *****.

2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. Wrestle Kingdom 11. *****. My 2017 MOTY.

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. Dominion 2018. *****. My 2018 MOTY.

• Like 1

Fuck it, my top five Wrestle Kingdom matches:

5. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba. Wrestle Kingdom 7. *****.

4. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi. Wrestle Kingdom 9. *****.

3. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito. Wrestle Kingdom 11. *****.

2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. Wrestle Kingdom 10. *****. My 2016 MOTY.

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. Wrestle Kingdom 11. *****. My 2017 MOTY.

Three honourable mentions:

3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito. Wrestle Kingdom 14. *****.

2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi. Wrestle Kingdom 14. *****.

1. Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. Wrestle Kingdom 13. *****. Probably my 2019 MOTY.

Best 1/4 matches that happened before the name "Wrestle Kingdom", go~

Nagata vs Kensuke
Hashimoto & Iizuka vs Ogawa & Murakami
Inoki vs Vader
Steiners vs Mutoh & Hase
uuuuuh

Kensuke/Kawada? The good Liger/Kanemoto? Ohtani/Ultimo? Hashimoto/Choshu? Mutoh/Takada? Choshu/Tenryu? The good Muta/Chono? Tenryu/Sasaki? Man, I am rusty.

Great show.

Spoiler-free thoughts:

The Ranbo was entertaining enough. Pretty clever what they did with the finish. 3 out of the 4 winners were pretty surprising.

Hiromu vs El-P was a fast-paced opener, unsurprisingly. They didn't go too far over the top, which was nice.

Spoiler

You know the stuff with the hand is going to play into tomorrow's match, which is a thing I love about New Japan.

ZSJ was the best part of the tag title match, unsurprisingly.

Kojima looked so much bigger than KENTA.

O-Khan vs Tanahashi was a lot better than I expected. 

The last two matches went for "EPIC" also unsurprisingly.

In my opinion, watching as it was happening and not knowing the results, both succeeded. I was marking out, a lot, during Okada vs Ospreay and Naito vs Ibushi.

The Money Clip continues to suck all the life out of the crowd 

Spoiler

The ending, though, made up for that and truly popped the crowd.

I was afraid that Naito and Ibushi would kill one another trying to top that... And they pretty much did.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3

They tried, but they didn't succeed.

Okada/Ospreay was best of the night.   Loved them bringing the hate that was deserved in that match.  Ibushi/Naito while just as technically good, couldn't have that hate (no reason for them to hate each other, even if their necks do!)

• Like 2

Ibushi vs. Naito far from my favorite Tokyo Dome main event but it was good. I liked Ibushi being in such disbelief he tried to cover and pin Naito again after the match was over. Rana off the apron was probably my favorite spot. 

Hiromu vs. El Phantasmo was a lot of fun as well. 

happy to see GoD get their first WK win at the Tokyo Dome.

The recurring theme I see at Tokyo Dome is the underdog challenger has to lose his first title challenge before he comes back and wins it in his second attempt.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

The rate that main event was going I thought we were getting a time limit draw and a triple threat tomorrow night.

Naito is my fave but all the love to Ibushi. That guy is an absolute ACE in every sense of the word. He is at the absolute peak of his powers. I hope he gets a good, long run with it.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Haha 1