DVDVR Message Board

DESTINY 2: Beyond Light

RIPPA

Oh I had to quit out of this week's Shattered Realm activity halfway because I got into an annoying death loop.

Was following a True Sight path and got up to the top but ran into a dead end because I only had done one beacon, not two so the marker thing was unavailable. I turned around and tried to get back across but True Sight ran out and I fell to my doom. I revived and the game immediately spawned me falling off the side of a cliff. After that happened a half a dozen times - I gave up for the night.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh I had to quit out of this week's Shattered Realm activity halfway because I got into an annoying death loop.

Was following a True Sight path and got up to the top but ran into a dead end because I only had done one beacon, not two so the marker thing was unavailable. I turned around and tried to get back across but True Sight ran out and I fell to my doom. I revived and the game immediately spawned me falling off the side of a cliff. After that happened a half a dozen times - I gave up for the night.

Had a similar incident happen to me two weeks ago. Wherever I fell was technically ground, but also completely out of bounds so I would die immediately.

55 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I imagine that the Shattered Realm content would just aggravate me.   I think I peaked when I successfully completed the time trials for all of the Ascendant Challenges.

I much prefer this version than the old Ascendant Challenge versions

It is just a case of the game will occasionally punish you if you go off exploring instead of taking the path that they are gently guiding you too (or at least exploring before completing the main objective first).

I haven't come across any absurd platforming sections yet and if I could do them, you certainly would be able to do them.

Heck - the shit in the Corrupted strike is far more infuriating than anything I have come across in this stuff

No game should punish you for exploring.  If the devs don't want you wandering in a certain direction, then that direction should either be inaccessible or it should not be there in the first place.

The Ascendant Challenges forced me to get good at D2 platforming.   I hated it while I was doing it, but the elation of success made it all worthwhile.  If it weren't for the Ascendant Challenges, I probably would've never made it to the boss state of the Whisper mission (even if I only fired like three bullets in anger) or nearly got to the end of Outbreak.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

No game should punish you for exploring.  If the devs don't want you wandering in a certain direction, then that direction should either be inaccessible or it should not be there in the first place.

Its less a case of you being punished purposely and more like someone screwed up the respawn point in some of the Shattered Realm.

• Like 1

I surprisingly managed to finish the the pinnacles for Trials in one day. I didn't do great, but it felt like a better experience than last week though I did have two teammates suicide on me in one game when it became obvious we weren't going to win. That last game was close with us winning the first two rounds, losing the next four, and coming back to win the match. It was one of the better games I've had in Trials

• Like 1

I did do some Trials but I spent most of the day working on the Agers Scepter quest. (All I have left is to do the 3 strikes)

I have 2 wins so far in Trials and haven't lost any matches 5-0 yet so that is good. And only one dude went AFK during a match and I think that was more a connection issue than rage quitting since we were winning at the time.

• Like 1

I like that my 7th win came against a 3 stack

I didn't like that the game went "Congrats - here are some Enhancement Prisms!"

I might try and get another win or two this evening after we are done with our family movie

So there is no mandatory matchmaking for Trials?  Why did they not have this when I was around?  I might have played more Trials.

... *remembers win trading and pro carries*...

On second thought,.. no.... I would not have played more Trials.

I remember in D1 when two randos and I beat a dedicated 3 stack from the came clan in a trials match.  It felt really good.  

This was when Hawkmoon was still good and Gunslingers did not suck.  My load-out was the usual douchebag load-out of 1000-Yard Stare with Quickdraw and Hidden Hand and a Ruin Wake machine gun with Rifled Barrel.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

So there is no mandatory matchmaking for Trials?  Why did they not have this when I was around?  I might have played more Trials.

I remember in D1 when two randos and I beat a dedicated 3 stack from the came clan in a trials match.  It felt really good.  

This was when Hawkmoon was still good and Gunslingers did not suck.

Yeah - that was why last week was such a big deal since it was the first week with regular old matchmaking.

There said they will try out a Trials Freelance mode (like Comp and IB have) later in the season

They did introduce a tweak this weekend that of course the sweatiest of the sweatiest were pissed about because basically if you going for your flawless (ie: 5-0 and above) you would be matched with other folks also at 5-0.

We aren’t satisfied with the matchmaking experience for players after seven wins. That area of matchmaking has a significantly higher rate of 5-0 games than we would like, so we are enabling a ‘flawless matchmaking’ pool. However, we want to make sure that there are enough flawless players to maintain good matchmaking times – so we are waiting until Friday afternoon to turn this on, and we will be watching player reactions and matchmaking analytics all weekend to make sure it is behaving properly. 

We are also not happy with the experience of players who have a bad streak of getting repeatedly thrashed 5-0, so we are enabling some matchmaking help if someone runs into several blowout matches. This temporary help mechanic clears up once they start winning again, so don’t think someone will cheese a flawless by tanking for a few games and then have a weekend of smooth sailing. 

Lots of bitching about I WANNA GET MY FLAWLESS AGAINST NOTHING BUT PEOPLE WHO ARE AFK!!!

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They did introduce a tweak this weekend that of course the sweatiest of the sweatiest were pissed about because basically if you going for your flawless (ie: 5-0 and above) you would be matched with other folks also at 5-0.

That actually sounds totally fair.  If you're that good, prove it.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Lots of bitching about I WANNA GET MY FLAWLESS AGAINST NOTHING BUT PEOPLE WHO ARE AFK!!!

I think I would've continued to play if Bungie had taken steps to kill win trading sooner.  Alas for me; too little to late.

Edited by J.T.

They basically did most of what Aztec and Datto have been saying they needed to do with Trials and PvP in general the past year or two to curb cheating and cheaping. The recent Trials changes are the most either have enjoyed PvP in D2 in a long time. Datto only won't do it more because he admits he isn't super good at PvP anymore, and he likes to win.

I think the only thing missing now is new maps. They desperately need them for Crucible and Gambit. I think we are getting them come Witchqueen, but that is a while away.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Fallout just dropped one of his "50 Games Of..." videos and he did 50 solo games of Trials.

He actually managed to go Flawless during it - though he admitted he hated himself because he had to rely on Shatter Dive so much

Yeah I never really mastered shatter dive as a PvP weapon. I just use coldsnap grenades to scare oncoming enemies away or use stasis walls as shields. It weird seeing how many others use shatter dive so well because I get caught by it maybe 2-3 times out of 15-20 games. 

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Fallout just dropped one of his "50 Games Of..." videos and he did 50 solo games of Trials.

He actually managed to go Flawless during it - though he admitted he hated himself because he had to rely on Shatter Dive so much

I have seen the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Bungie boards about how OP Shatterdive is.

I think these people assume that all Hunters players have the time to master the combo and that is probably not true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have seen the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Bungie boards about how OP Shatterdive is.

I think these people assume that all Hunters players have the time to master the combo and that is probably not true.

Yeah I'm a testament to bs that all Hunters are shatterdive masters. Way too many people are watching youtube players who are already good PvP players in general.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Trials is probably the one thing where Titans are the worst of the three subclasses

Hunters have a few OP options and Warlocks are just flat out broken

Titans have 1-shot melee and grenade abilities. Hunters have one, and we still have to get a headshot with it to work in the knife.

You guys probably know this already but Forbes clickbait journalist, Paul Tassi, threw his hat into the YouTube content creator ring about a year ago and is making Destiny 2 videos. 

Edited by J.T.