DVDVR Message Board

DESTINY 2: Beyond Light

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Ada hasn't had much to do since the introduction of the Forges, so it's cool to hear that the devs haven't forgotten about the Black Armory.

Okay, I'll bite.  What the fuck is up with FWC?

Well the story is that Ikora has brought the refugee Elkisni to stay on the outskirts of the Last City. (They do have a great line where Ikora basically is like "If anyone has a problem with it, they can come to me" and it is clearly that NO ONE is gonna do that.)

FWC is all "Awww Hell No" with Lakshmi saying she had a vision of Mithrax of standing in the middle of a burning Last City (clearly implying that the Elkisni destroy the city). She is also doing a lot of "I TOLD YOU ALL ABOUT THE RED WAR BUT NO ONE LISTENED!!!!!" So basically she is threatening to have FWC take out the Fallen refugees

I think she is taking A LOT of liberties with claiming they predicted the Red War

So either Lakshmi is misinterpreting her vision and makes nice by the end of the season (or she is secretly compromised by the Vex), or Auntie Raan is also on the VA cutting board and this is how they get rid of her.

Edited by J.T.

JT is gonna laugh when I say this but it is getting really frustrating that they are putting all the interesting story stuff in the lore books.

And yeah - clearly they are going to make Crow the new Hunter Vanguard and that is irritating

Stupid Ana Bray turning them down

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

JT is gonna laugh when I say this but it is getting really frustrating that they are putting all the interesting story stuff in the lore books.

And yeah - clearly they are going to make Crow the new Hunter Vanguard and that is irritating

Stupid Ana Bray turning them down

The problem with the game lore is that there isn't enough of it infused into the live game world to make it feel like something more than a glorified shooting gallery.

Ana is not cut out to be the Hunter Vanguard.  She's more interested in restoring Clovis Bray to its former glory.  Her time is best spent convincing Rasputin not to do anything crazy.

The right answer for new Hunter Vanguard will always be Shiro-4.  Crow becoming Hunter Vanguard and taking the place of the man he murdered is just totally fucking stupid.  Zavala and Ikora are idiots if they sign on for that shit.

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Ana is not cut out to be the Hunter Vanguard.  She's more interested in restoring Clovis Bray to its former glory.  Her time is best spend convincing Rasputin not to do anything stupid.

The right answer for new Hunter Vanguard will always be Shiro-5.  Crow becoming Human Vanguard and taking the place of the man he murdered is just totally fucking stupid.  Zavala and Ikora are idiots if they sign on for that shit.

Well with Ana at the moment it is more trying to keep her idiot AI Dad from doing anything stupid and trying to restore Rasputin

I think the fact that they seem to be doing the whole setup in the lore books is why I am more bothered about Crow becoming the Hunter Vanguard. I mean, yes it is really lazy. I mean it is the obvious troupe of his entire redemption story is one thing that I was like "it is what it is" because they clearly wanted to explore that aspect. Fine.

But, yeah, they act like there is only one Hunter in the universe and they are doing a big angle where - while he SHOULD be the one working as the liaison to the Eliksni, the City hates the Eliksni (yeah that isn't going well) and Ikora and Zavala don't want to then add to the tension by being all SURPRISE~! Cayde's Murderer is Here!

It also plays into my theory that they are revoicing Zavala but that is just me being bitter

Of course in the other lore book I started unlocking - the Big Bad of last season is now a friend and confidant of Zavala so clearly Bungie's writers only have so many ideas in their heads. (Basically Caiatli is like "Listen Dude - why are you letting Lakshmi undermine you?" and warning him that the uprising always starts with words. I think her exact quote was something like "you really are a lone wolf in a nest of vipers aren't you?")

Clearly I need to read the lore books more often. Lakshmi-2 predicted the Red War so I can see why she is worried, but I don't think we will see a situation where she needs to be taken out. I think we will get the whole misinterpretation part towards the end of the season. FWC isn't threatening to murder all the Eliksni quite yet. They are just keeping a watchful eye both due to their visions and because they know a good portion of the City is pretty damn unhappy with this.

Where it does feel like we are heading is a potential split of the Vanguard. We were already seeing signs with how pissed off Saladin was last season.

I think Bungie desperately wants to make Crow the Hunter vanguard leader, but also knows better than to try at this point. I'm with JT on why Ana wouldn't work for the role.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think that Shohreh Aghdashloo aka Tali's aunt and Lance Riddick are the last high profile personalities that Bungie have on the payroll now that Jaime Chung, Nathan Fillion, and Gina Torres are gone.   

I am not sure how many members of the current Destiny community remember Peter Dinklage being the first one to be completely voiced over.

Its funny I was excited Dinklage when I first played only to not really give a shit soon after entering the City due to all of the other actors involved. Aghdashloo, Reddick, Fillion, Torres, etc. got me way more interested. I wasn't even paying attention to the quality of Dinklage voice acting. I just couldn't give a shit with everyone else involved. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Last season they had Courtenay Taylor play the big bad while doing new lines for Amanda Holliday

Did not realize this. It makes Holliday's respect and understanding for Caiatl kind of amusing now.

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It also plays into my theory that they are revoicing Zavala but that is just me being bitter

Unless he becomes too expensive I'm not sure they try to replace Reddick. He seems to actually like the work.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Bungie's lazy writing is enabled by the D2 community.  I'm not saying it's wrong to forgive, but only morons totally ignore the past.

I can sorta understand why Zavala would cozy up to Caiatli and try to make peace with the Fallen, because he wants to eliminate threats to the Last City and bring some sort of conclusion to the war we've been fighting forever on multiple fronts.

I just think that the good guys are being foolishly generous and reinforcing the trope that good is dumb.  Caiatli is definitely up to no good if she is trying to get Zavala to question his own council.  If the FWC says that the Fallen are involved in some shit, I'd tend to believe them since calculating the probability of omega threats is what they do and Lakshmi being Lakshmi is not the Exo that sugar coats the delivery of bad news.

Now, whether the Fallen are directly involved or just pawns remains to be seen.  Lakshmi doesn't exactly go through the trouble of verifying the events in her reveries.

Speaking of Bungie being lazy, why did they tweet that Hunters had won GG but were too lazy to change the game models from last year's win by the Titans?

God, I am so glad I no longer entertain this bucket of shit.

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I can sorta understand why Zavala would cozy up to Caiatli and try to make peace with the Fallen, because he wants to eliminate threats to the Last City and bring some sort of conclusion to the war we've been fighting forever on multiple fronts.

Honestly its more about getting it out of the way due to the coming war with the Darkness. Zavala is well aware he doesn't need this extra shit as distractions. Apparently he also took control of the Cabal in one of Elsie's alternate timelines so it kind of makes sense that he can work with them.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I just think that the good guys are being foolishly generous and reinforcing the trope that good is dumb.  Caiatli is definitely up to no good if she is trying to get Zavala to question his own council.  If the FWC says that the Fallen are involved in some shit, I'd tend to believe them since calculating the probability of omega threats is what they do and Lakshmi being Lakshmi is not the Exo that sugar coats the delivery of bad news.

So the thing with Caiatl is she actually isn't up to shit. Her plotting actually was what we saw last season. She realized the Cabal needed allies just as much as the Vanguard did and wanted to join forces. She just knew no one from the Cabal would easily accept it and as a result set up the situation so that those who would have fought the alliance died or would agree with the terms out of respect for the Vanguard's abilities after the Proving Grounds showcase. She also is also semi-enamored with Zavala and his warrior skill/spirit. She probably feels she is giving Zavala legit advice. 

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Speaking of Bungie being lazy, why did they tweet that Hunters had won GG but were too lazy to change the game models from last year's win by the Titans?

I'm more bothered by my cape still being bronze.

Yeah - the whole lore book starts with Caiatl warning Zavala about the Vex fucking around with the Last City and Zavala is like "Thanks? I think..."

And Caiatl is like "Contrary to popular opinion - the Guardians being wiped out doesn't help us"

Okay, so good to know that Caiatli's goodwill is legit and Mithrax isn't batshit insane. Two less things to worry about.   

Even with them off of the plate, that still leaves Earth's most powerful threats out there (Hive, Taken, Vex) as well as the Scorn.  

I guess we deal with the Hive problem when the Witch Queen shit launches to the chorus of Honeydew errors and the combined wailing and gnashing of the teeth of the D2 community.

I kinda miss the MMO bug.  Maybe I should start playing Warframe?  Definitely not Outriders.  It is hella awful.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Even with them off of the plate, that still leaves Earth's most powerful threats out there (Hive, Taken, Vex) as well as the Scorn.  

Taken and Scorn are both parts of the Darkness. We won't really take care of them until we finish the fight with the Darkness. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Taken and Scorn are both parts of the Darkness. We won't really take care of them until we finish the fight with the Darkness. 

True enough..  The reintroduction of the Moon pretty much set up the Hive as pawns of the Darkness.

• Like 1

Yeah - it is clear that they have to fill time now with non-Darkness stuff (aka Hive and Taken) to save for Witch Queen (with the season leading into Witch Queen being Darkness focused)

The problem is delaying Witch Queen brings throws everything out of wack.

I really hope they do something to fill the time instead of just having a never ending season like last time

That is what has me worried about the Witch Queen move. Really hoping the move means they give more meat to whatever season was planned to happened around that time and next season doesn't somehow last forever.

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Was able to buy the season pass finally. Did the quest for Armor Synthesis, the finished the story quest for this week, and did the quest for the new Stasis aspect.

The exo mission for the new Stasis aspect is hell. Whoever designed it is kind of an asshole.

I did the first half tonight and thank God for the Destiny app because I got all the way out to Kell's Landing and realized I didn't have Salvation's Grip with me.

But yeah - Heroic Exo Missions can kiss my ass.

Either I am gonna end up waiting to the end of the season again or I am gonna have to find a group to do it with.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I really hope they do something to fill the time instead of just having a never ending season like last time

The Vex are scary enough to carry two or three seasons if the writers aren't lazy.... but they are..

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

The Vex are scary enough to carry two or three seasons if the writers aren't lazy.... but they are..

My concerns are more on the technical/development time side... not creativity per se

They delayed Witch Queen because they needed more time to make sure it was finished. Great! I am fine with that.

However - that means that they probably can't create a new story season that wasn't already planned for post-Witch Queen (which also means that wasn't finished)

So I think my expectations is that they would reintroduce assets they took out like bringing Menagerie back. If you bring Calus' ship back - you can have Menagerie AND a raid. Take fucking Gambit out to make room. Or they could create some sort of Vex time manipulation thing and random shit from previous seasonal activities could return.

Instead they will probably just be HERE IS ANOTHER WEEK OF IRON BANNER!!!

Honestly,  I am surprised they haven't repackaged the Vex Incursion while all of this Long Night and VoG revival is going on.

Jesus, if they are pressed for activities, just put incursion portals on all of the planets with different Vex Minds to fight and call it square.  Make the one on Europa a super hard Heroic event for the tryhard YouTubers ffs and recycle the Sol Divisive reward weapons as loot, since I am sure there is no way they will put VoG loot in a different pool.  You'll have to do their new stupid VoG if you want a Vision of Conflux.

Edited by J.T.

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Nothing like getting removed mid activity so Bungie can do emergency maintenance

I was once booted out of a Gambit Prime match that my team was winning.   I only needed one more victory to complete my Weekly Bounty and finish the Weekly Challenge.

That was the day I should've quit.

Edited by J.T.

Looks like Destiny will be my day game as until the school year ends, my wife isn't around during the day to watch ME

I slightly feel behind but the first week of the season was such a disaster error code wise that I also don't feel like I missed a ton.

I was able to get a few things - like the main story and progress some of the random quest (like for the catalyst and the pursuit weapon)

But I also haven't played since Friday so I have so many unfinished challenges already

Forgot it was an IB week

They are going to Beta test Crossplay next week with a special strike playlist

Tuesday - Thursday. No fireteams allowed

If you do three strikes you get a special emblem