DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I mean, it’s worth recalling that it took Brodie some months to find his footing outside WWE, too.  So I’m not terribly worried about Miro’s rocky start.

Brodie has given some insightful interviews lately where he’s talked about what a struggle it was to rediscover his own instincts and confidence after living in the WWE machine for so long.  It’s likely going to be a process for Miro, too.  Maybe moreso, since he didn’t have as much Indy/international experience as Brodie prior to going there.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Forgot to mention the Team Taz promo. Still not sure all the pieces fit together. But Starks and Taz are huge assets going forward, wherever they're slotted. And Brian Cage was also in this segment!

Whatever the intangible "it" is, Cage doesn't have. Conversely, Starks has "it" in spades which I guess could make them a good paring if they figured out a formula where Starks hyped Cage a lot more in his promo time. 

With Page vs. Omega, Cody vs. Darby, Cody vs. Dark Order, FTR vs. Bucks, Moxley vs. Kingston, MJF vs. Jericho, Guevara vs. Hardy, Guevara vs. MJF, Team Tazz vs. Darby (maybe already finished?), Team Tazz vs. Hobbs, Team Tazz vs. No Airtime, Murderhawk vs. Kingston, Spears vs. Scorpio Sky, Butcher & Blade vs. QT & Dustin, Cabana in Dark Order (somewhat on hold), Shida vs. Nyla (not really, but still), Cutler vs. Avalon (probably just finished for good), TH2 vs. SCU, Cassidy vs. Dark Order, MFJ vs. Wardlow (not really in focus, but slow burning), the NWA Women invading and PAC now returning and playing into Kingston and his friends and the problems of the Lucha Bros ... did I forget any ongoing storyline?

Jungle Boy und Luchasaurus really have nothing going on for them  at the moment, which makes me somewhat sad. Santana and Ortiz also are only featured by somewhat by assosiaction to Jericho vs. MJF vs. Guevara.

Miro and Kip vs. Best Friends maybe isn't the debut storyline one would expect after his departure from the restraints of WWE... but you can't have a dozen main actors and there's so much stuff going on in AEW. Still, yes, you could say they should strike the iron while it's hot and that's definitely not been the case.

Edited by MrKothoga

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Main event was...whatever. I get that Austin Gunn is one of their prospects and they're trying to make him a thing, but the match itself would have been better positioned earlier on in the show and have Moxley/Eddie close it out. Regarding Austin Gunn, he has a cool name, moves well enough and is competent enough in the ring, and has a good body, but it's somewhat of a shame he didn't get his dad's height, but I understand his plight (my dad was 6'5", brother is the same, and I'm...6'0"). I do wonder what he even sounds like. I'd like to hear his voice or know if he's a good promo.

It's hard to say with Austin due to the lack of crowd noise but he's shown signs of being 'wrestler loud' where you can here him yammering through the whole match in the good way. He's got a lot of natural douche bag energy which would lead to him being better positioned as a mid card heel with Daddy than as a face. The Gunns wrestle in a very WWE kind of way which is to be expected obviously and they provide a nice contrast to the typical AEW pace. Tying them to Cody won't help them any and I find the whole Nightmare Family thing rather goofy.

The idea that either Cody or Darby saying they aren't the people that the executives want to succeed is baffling. Cody for obvious reasons and Darby because he's wrestled all the biggest stars in the company multiple times and hasn't beaten any of them. The idea that he hasn't gotten chances is dumb.

I cannot say how bad I feel for Cash having to milk being on the middle rope for a year before Page came out for the save. Poor guy had to get up there, take off his coat, drink a beer, finish a cross word puzzle and ...

Edited by Goodear

Well, with how Miro has looked so far it's probably for the best they are slow rolling with him. 

By the way, not many in wrestling today sell as well during their comeback as Trent. He's got a bit of '96 HBK selling in that there is a pissed off defiance but he actually keeps selling while on offense and makes everything look like a struggle. I think he's lacking in promo skills (they've improved plus he was never terrible) and missing the intangible "it" but he's very good. Even the slip played into the finish really well. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

As mentioned, the Mox/Kingston promo was amazing.  Best thing on the show and the most real-feeling thing I've seen in wrestling in forever.

Decent, low-key show that existed purely for final table-setting for the PPV.  Nothing offensive in-ring but I admit I FFWD'd through the main a little.  That match was a chore. 

I enjoyed seeing the Elite sort-of get back together a little.  

Austin Gunn has a massive John Wayne tattoo and Jim Ross has a boner.

Three more people joined the Nightmare Family?  Jesus, how big an entourage does Cody need?  And they're all lower card guys, so it's like Cody's Dungeon of Doom.  Speaking of Cody, WTF is going on?  Every week, I vacillate between thinking he's pulling some meta shit, like he's a heel who thinks he's a face, and then I change my opinion to thinking he's just a big goof who doesn't understand pro wrestling and literally thinks everything he does is awesome.  He went out of his way to expose Allin, who is a huge babyface.  "I got you signed, nobody else wanted you, you're full of shit about TNT not wanting you as champion, etc" is absolutely a heel promo.  WTF.  He just cut Allin's nuts off right there.  What was the purpose of that promo?  I seriously need to list all my Cody grievances in the "Most Hated Wrestler" thread because that guy is garbage.  And holy fuck, enough promos throwing shade at WWE you bitter career midcarder.

Just when I was thinking,man, Jericho wasn't horrible in the four-man booth as he usually is," he screams his way through the main event.

TREMENDOUS music video.  80s power ballads!  Niiiiiice.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

I'm 95% sure Trent slipping on the springboard was a planned spot, rather than a botch.

I'm also 95% sure that the Nightmare Family is going to be one of the teams in the Blood & Guts match, and that the match is going to happen in Jan or Feb of next year. Possibly on the Feb PPV.

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I can't see Darby winning, but it almost has to go to another time limit draw and Darby is the one guy Cody can't really beat (he would have a record of 1-0-2 if that happened) and Cody with his ego would probably seethe that he's not 3 and 0 against him.

Small correction: As things stand, Cody already has two wins and one draw against Darby.

• Time limit draw @ Fyter Fest
  • Win on New Year's day
  • Win in TNT tournament semi-final

8 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

It couldn't just have been on TSN that they transitioned poorly when kicking to pre-tapes and promo packages, right? There was a ton of feedback from the arena feed on almost every one of them. Amateur hour. But I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it. They deserve zero benefit of the doubt if they can't avoiding fucking this up at this point. 

Moxley-Kingston was god-tier, not much else to say that hasn't already been said. Everything Kingston touches turns to gold right now. He is not throwing away his shot.

I liked the main event, granted it was small-time by Dynamite standards. We'll see where Billy Gunn's kid goes. I think that was my first time watching him work. The post-match promo got me more invested in Cody-Darby, just because I've liked the series and have been waiting for them to thread it all together. This worked better than Darby's angsty vignette. As for Cody being a shit face or an oblivious heel... It is what it is. I'll leave that to others for now.

Miro looked the best he has so far against Trent, who's easily the most competent worker he's been booked opposite. Still not in on the character. 

Kenny's a shit promo. I know a lot of us have penciled in a Mox-Omega rematch, but I'd happily skip that step and just get to Cowboy Shit in the main event picture. Go Hangman.

Liked the opening tag, especially with Sammy working fiery babyface stuff for a change. Skipped the opening promo though. I've hated every promo they've had together so far. Everyone involved in this thinks they're funnier than they are, and it blows. Jericho and MJF promos are currently a fast forward until something gives me a reason not to.

Bucks-FTR build has been weak. Hopefully they over-deliver. Audio issues on the go-home vignette didn't warm me to this. 

I miss PAC. 

I recall Jericho complaining about an audio issue at one point and blaming it on Tony Schiavone.

4 hours ago, Log said:

I totally forgot that Miro had his first singles match this week.  That's telling.  He was a guy that I was really excited to see "let loose" without the constraints of WWE on him.  So far, it seems like he might be someone that's better off being told what to do.  

His gimmick is just so muddled.  Call me old a fashioned, but I can't buy a gamer as a legit threat.  

Almost everyone on the WWE roster is a gamer. AJ Styles is a gamer. Xavier Woods is a gamer. Roman Reigns is a gamer (but he only ever plays Call of Duty). The idea that a ripped and jacked 280 lb Powerlifter isn't a threat because he also plays videogames seems a bit unusual. Should make him more of a threat. They're a frustrating thing, games. It's a frustrating hobby to have. A guy built like that, with a brain chemistry full of resentment and anger is a fearsome thing.

Speaking of emotional states, whilst I want Eddie Kingston to win the title, there is probably a lot more compelling TV in "Eddie Kingston is devastated at his loss, and disgusted at his own weakness and failure" than there is in "Eddie Kingston is the happiest he's ever been". If he wins the big one a year from now (as a babyface) that's a better pay off.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Log said:

Say what you will about Billy Gunn as a wrestler, but he is a very handsome man.  

I can never get over just how massive a human being he is. I mean Preston Vance is no small dude and Billy dwarfed even him. 

it was actually really well shot as well. Usually in-ring duelling promos just go two shot, close up on heel, close up on fave, two shot. Whereas this one, some of the best bits were when they did the devil on your shoulder shot. Which is rarely seen in wrestling.

So, probably going to be widely overused soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure the Pac "doubling" effect is something else we will see stolen in the future.

I really thought that was a good piece of business as well. I would have dressed "casual Pac" differently and left out the work out scenes. I think the powerful part was him speaking with the other images of him around screaming. I would have left it on that rather than expanding the scene.

• Like 1

Pac working out did make me think that when he comes back, he's going to be bigger than ever. I always thought his body looked Benoit-lite before, but he's going to be absolutely gigantic now.

Rewatched Miro/Trent because I had to watch with the sound off the first time. It's definitely the best Miro has looked and indicative of what we can expect from him. It's a good point that while he's no rookie he doesn't have much experience outside of WWE (a couple of years over a decade ago) and could need more time to find his feet. He was never known as a 5 star wrestler either so his success will be largely based around how intense he can be and they haven't quite got there yet.

7 hours ago, Log said:

If I get Eddie Kingston holding the world title of a major company, I'll take back all the bad things I said about 2020.

There were so many things I loved about that segment.  I loved that they didn't just do "your turn/my turn".  King was interrupting Moxley until he got too pissed to talk.  I also loved him just walking away because he knew he couldn't contain himself if he stayed.  

The PPV is actually looking pretty stacked.  Mox/Kingston, obviously, but the tag title match, Omega/Page and Cody/Darby all have potential to be show-stealers too.  They also all have the potential to be very different kinds of matches, which is nice.

Some other random thoughts:

Nyla needs to work on her striking.  That punch to Shida to save Vicki was feather-light.  

I'm interested to see where they go with Pac.  Seems like he may go after Kingston and his group since the Lucha Bros left him.  The beginning of his vignette had the audio clip of Kingston asking "Where's your little British friend?"

Say what you will about Billy Gunn as a wrestler, but he is a very handsome man.  His son, not so much.

MJF needs to work on coming off as dangerous.  He tells Jericho that he'll show him how vicious he can be, and then doesn't do that at all in his match.  I've heard people say before that he needs to pick Tully's brain backstage.  That's true.  He needs to find that Blanchard thing of being the asshole heel, but still showing that you can bring it in the ring when you need to.

MJF did look dangerous against Moxley, but I'm unsure how much of that was Mox tellng MJF to lay it in hard.  MJF also did vicious well in his loser-leave-MLW match with Mancer.  I suspect MJF was just working light because it's Jericho and because it's the go-home show.