DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Looking forward to this match more than any other at AEW Full Gear II.

Maybe I'm unfairly stereotyping Mama Kingston, but I'd think she'd rather have a grandchild.

Which means he's not promising to celebrate with his mother, he's promising to rub it in his mother's face. That's some pretty great heeling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't think Kingston is going to win, but Eddie Kingston has just made himself like my most favorite guy in wrestling right now, and I want nothing more than for him to win the title on Saturday.

Also, love how Jericho just dropped all the pretenses and ended tonight's show with, "MJF WILL NEVER JOIN THE INNER CIRCLE!" 

• Like 3

Kingston was dope as hell, and Mox is the most intense, believable promo in the business.

That vignette was the most entertaining thing Kenny Omega's done on American soil. I popped several times.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I really liked this episode.  The main event was definitely a weird choice, but it was fine.

Mox/Kingston has become the feud of the year over the past month.

The Kenny/Hangman video was solid gold.

I’m glad they’re teasing Team Taz doing...something...at the PPV, even if they don’t have a match.  That act is too good right now to not be on the show.

Miro/Trent was quite good, I thought.  Again, not a surprise that Miro looked a lot better once he was put in with a real pro.  There was a lot of gaga involving the all the seconds, but they did a good job of holding it together in the ring.  Kinda surprised they didn’t announce Best Friends vs. Best Mens for Full Gear, but it seems like those guys will all have roles to play during the OC/Silver match.

• Like 3

It's a shame I really don't care for AEW because Eddie Kingston is killing it. His work is an interesting contrast to his High Noon promo where he vows to win it in memory of his friend but might be unable to win the AEW title for his mom. 

Cody's promo where he talked about how he left the evil empire, went up against them and "won" then badmouthing Darby for suggesting that TNT doesn't favour Cody, as he stood in the ring with his coach, two other guys who have barely ever been on the show before but suddenly get in the main event when they join Cody's group, on a show that also featured his wife and brother, was one of the worst face promos I've ever seen.

In a way, Kingston's was the worst heel promo, because he was so good, everybody wants him to win now. Liked the energy between these two.  But he's not going to win. Sadly.

I know I'm alone in this, but I was so excited when MJF attacked Jericho, because I thought it meant he would be off commentary for the rest of the show...and then he stayed.  That match was pretty good, even though it was more of a showcase for the two guys not involved in the Jericho match (Guerrera and Wardlow looked like top guys here).

Bucks-PP was not a match I was ever going to enjoy, and I really did not. But I liked the post-match stuff, even if I wanted someone to hit someone in the mouth.

Miro-Trent was fine. I can't really take Miro seriously with his Eminem haircut and video-game player gimmick but... 

Was not expecting Billy Gunn to be in a main event in 2020...not even in some kind of DX reunion angle.

• Like 2

It couldn't just have been on TSN that they transitioned poorly when kicking to pre-tapes and promo packages, right? There was a ton of feedback from the arena feed on almost every one of them. Amateur hour. But I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it. They deserve zero benefit of the doubt if they can't avoiding fucking this up at this point. 

Moxley-Kingston was god-tier, not much else to say that hasn't already been said. Everything Kingston touches turns to gold right now. He is not throwing away his shot.

I liked the main event, granted it was small-time by Dynamite standards. We'll see where Billy Gunn's kid goes. I think that was my first time watching him work. The post-match promo got me more invested in Cody-Darby, just because I've liked the series and have been waiting for them to thread it all together. This worked better than Darby's angsty vignette. As for Cody being a shit face or an oblivious heel... It is what it is. I'll leave that to others for now.

Miro looked the best he has so far against Trent, who's easily the most competent worker he's been booked opposite. Still not in on the character. 

Kenny's a shit promo. I know a lot of us have penciled in a Mox-Omega rematch, but I'd happily skip that step and just get to Cowboy Shit in the main event picture. Go Hangman.

Liked the opening tag, especially with Sammy working fiery babyface stuff for a change. Skipped the opening promo though. I've hated every promo they've had together so far. Everyone involved in this thinks they're funnier than they are, and it blows. Jericho and MJF promos are currently a fast forward until something gives me a reason not to.

Bucks-FTR build has been weak. Hopefully they over-deliver. Audio issues on the go-home vignette didn't warm me to this. 

I miss PAC. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

It couldn't just have been on TSN that they transitioned poorly when kicking to pre-tapes and promo packages, right? There was a ton of feedback from the arena feed on almost every one of them. Amateur hour. But I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it. They deserve zero benefit of the doubt if they can't avoiding fucking this up at this point. 

Moxley-Kingston was god-tier, not much else to say that hasn't already been said. Everything Kingston touches turns to gold right now. He is not throwing away his shot.

I liked the main event, granted it was small-time by Dynamite standards. We'll see where Billy Gunn's kid goes. I think that was my first time watching him work. The post-match promo got me more invested in Cody-Darby, just because I've liked the series and have been waiting for them to thread it all together. This worked better than Darby's angsty vignette. As for Cody being a shit face or an oblivious heel... It is what it is. I'll leave that to others for now.

Miro looked the best he has so far against Trent, who's easily the most competent worker he's been booked opposite. Still not in on the character. 

Kenny's a shit promo. I know a lot of us have penciled in a Mox-Omega rematch, but I'd happily skip that step and just get to Cowboy Shit in the main event picture. Go Hangman.

Liked the opening tag, especially with Sammy working fiery babyface stuff for a change. Skipped the opening promo though. I've hated every promo they've had together so far. Everyone involved in this thinks they're funnier than they are, and it blows. Jericho and MJF promos are currently a fast forward until something gives me a reason not to.

Bucks-FTR build has been weak. Hopefully they over-deliver. Audio issues on the go-home vignette didn't warm me to this. 

I miss PAC. 

Strike while the iron's hot. I'd put the AEW World Championship in Eddie Kingston. Agree with you on the FTR-Bucks bad build and missing PAC.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

If I get Eddie Kingston holding the world title of a major company, I'll take back all the bad things I said about 2020.

There were so many things I loved about that segment.  I loved that they didn't just do "your turn/my turn".  King was interrupting Moxley until he got too pissed to talk.  I also loved him just walking away because he knew he couldn't contain himself if he stayed.  

The PPV is actually looking pretty stacked.  Mox/Kingston, obviously, but the tag title match, Omega/Page and Cody/Darby all have potential to be show-stealers too.  They also all have the potential to be very different kinds of matches, which is nice.

Some other random thoughts:

Nyla needs to work on her striking.  That punch to Shida to save Vicki was feather-light.  

I'm interested to see where they go with Pac.  Seems like he may go after Kingston and his group since the Lucha Bros left him.  The beginning of his vignette had the audio clip of Kingston asking "Where's your little British friend?"

Say what you will about Billy Gunn as a wrestler, but he is a very handsome man.  His son, not so much.

MJF needs to work on coming off as dangerous.  He tells Jericho that he'll show him how vicious he can be, and then doesn't do that at all in his match.  I've heard people say before that he needs to pick Tully's brain backstage.  That's true.  He needs to find that Blanchard thing of being the asshole heel, but still showing that you can bring it in the ring when you need to.

• Like 2

I was in awe while watching Eddie Kingston during that whole segment. From his promo to him just being in Moxley's face being all "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO KILL ME". Eddie has to win it at this point. I can't see either of them saying I Quit, but I can see AEW's version of Roman/Jey except I would be inclined to believe Eddie or Jon would die before saying I Quit. This could be up there with Flair/Funk.

Cody has to be turning heel at some point. Surrounding himself flunkies like Billy Gunn. He pretty much ignores Arn Anderson during the matches which the announcers always make note of. I can't see Darby winning, but it almost has to go to another time limit draw and Darby is the one guy Cody can't really beat (he would have a record of 1-0-2 if that happened) and Cody with his ego would probably seethe that he's not 3 and 0 against him.

I still wish we had another month between now and the PPV because FTR/Bucks really could use it. Play off that Nick has a broken bone in his ankle or something. He just gets cleared, but you know one bad jump and he's done for. For the longest time alot of us thought Hangman was joining FTR and Tully. I'm convinced more than ever it's Kenny. Kenny/FTR as a new Elite would be pretty damn good. It's going to be a great match, but I wish it had more time building right now. I wonder if one of the Bucks finally do a blade job just so they can really be Ricky and Robert.

As much as I like Hirkuda Shida, she almost has to lose at this point. Nyla holds the belt till at least Double Or Nothing. Maybe if things line up, thats when Thunder Rosa wins it.

• Like 2

Maaaaaaaaaan...I took a break from watching endless MSNBC and CNN around 1 am to watch Dynamite. Considering nothing happened last night except numbers moving in the right direction, I should have just watched Dynamite sooner. Eddie Kingston is on some next level shit. Moxley is really good too, but damn, Eddie is something else. It really makes me wonder what this whole feud would have been like had there been live crowds.

The Kenny and Hangman videos were all good and they're leaning hard in to Kenny being a piece of shit. I don't know if Kenny turns on the Bucks this weekend, but Kenny arriving late to help the Bucks, the nods to North Carolina in Kenny's ring entrances, and Kenny being a fuckhole certainly make me think we're getting Kenny and FTR vs Hangman and Bucks sooner rather than later. 

Main event was...whatever. I get that Austin Gunn is one of their prospects and they're trying to make him a thing, but the match itself would have been better positioned earlier on in the show and have Moxley/Eddie close it out. Regarding Austin Gunn, he has a cool name, moves well enough and is competent enough in the ring, and has a good body, but it's somewhat of a shame he didn't get his dad's height, but I understand his plight (my dad was 6'5", brother is the same, and I'm...6'0"). I do wonder what he even sounds like. I'd like to hear his voice or know if he's a good promo.

Good episode of Dynamite and the first non-news thing I've watched, sad to say. 

• Like 5

I totally forgot that Miro had his first singles match this week.  That's telling.  He was a guy that I was really excited to see "let loose" without the constraints of WWE on him.  So far, it seems like he might be someone that's better off being told what to do.  

His gimmick is just so muddled.  Call me old fashioned, but I can't buy a gamer as a legit threat.  

It's early with him, so they have time to course-correct, but I'm not digging him so far.

• Like 3