DVDVR Message Board

Minor League/Japanese Wackiness

ChesterCopperpot

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It actually might be more than 6 since the story says MLB is negotiating with "more teams to be announced in the coming weeks"

Based on the geography so far I'd be shocked if Staten Island didn't get drafted into this to set up a natural rivalry with Trenton.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And that isn't even mentioning that this is probably better for the 6 teams participating than them moving to an indy league)

When I read the Black Bears press release yesterday, I wondered if the subtext amounted to "Good news.  We weren't dropped by MLB entirely."

I dunno that comparing to the NBA G League does it any favors.  Do many guys make it from the G League to the Show?  I don't pay enough attention to be sure, but it generally seems to me that relatively few guys make it onto a roster from the G League.  Am I wrong?

On 12/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, Pete said:

Based on the geography so far I'd be shocked if Staten Island didn't get drafted into this to set up a natural rivalry with Trenton.

About that...

As of today, this looks like the complete list of teams that made the cut for their new MLB overlords.

USA Today has the breakdown of the giant hokey-pokey for everyone that stumbled onto their feet with a collegiate league, independents, and/or got left out in the cold entirely. 

30 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Of course the dipshits in charge of MLB won't realize that killing the small town minor league teams will harm the future of the sport. . .

Speaking of small towns getting killed, Fresno (the lone holdout of invited teams) just accepted a demotion from AAA to the Low-A California League and will be the Rockies affiliate, punching Lancaster's ticket in the process.

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...

The start of Double A and Single A level seasons will be delayed

Per Baseball America

Major League Baseball sent a memo to minor league teams on Monday informing them that the 2021 minor league season at Double-A and the Class A levels will be delayed.

MLB told minor league teams that spring training for Double-A and Class A players will not begin until MLB and Triple-A players have departed from spring training. The delay will allow for more social distancing during a time when the coronavirus pandemic continues to affect the world.

The seasons will run till the beginning of October. There will not be playoffs. Instead they will just run games to maximize playing time for all teams in lieu of starting later

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 12:01 PM, Hamhock said:

AAA season will begin on April 6 (142 games)

About that

From the story

some executives told ESPN they believe the alternate sites could last longer into the season. The reason for rekindling sites -- which serve as training facilities for players who are likeliest to be called up to the major leagues -- is the proximity to teams' home stadiums and easier oversight of testing and coronavirus protocols, according to sources. Further, Triple-A teams travel via commercial airline, whereas major league teams can go from hotel to stadium to private flights on getaway days.

Teams are hopeful the delay allows for the vaccination of players before they are sent to their minor league affiliates, which came under the management of MLB this winter. Vaccinated players would allay concerns with teams about players arriving from minor league sites and immediately joining clubs without a quarantine period.

The swift pace of vaccination across the country has heartened league and team officials, and combined with decreasing COVID-19 cases around the country, there is increased optimism about baseball's prospects for playing a full season with limited issues. Spring training games have started without a hitch, and officials were stunned at the low number of COVID-19 cases upon intake testing this spring -- 20 positive tests among more than 20,000 taken, according to the league.

-----------------

To make up for lost games in April, Triple-A teams expect their seasons to run into September -- later than the standard minor league year, which typically ends at the beginning of the month.

The number of players at each alternate site is unclear, but sources expect the sites to house about two dozen players -- a typical Triple-A roster. Last year, with a finite number of players allowed at alternate sites, teams opted for a mixture of major league-ready players and prospects whom they didn't want to lose a year of development not playing.

This incarnation of the alt site is likelier to skew older -- major league veterans and ascendant prospects who are on the cusp of the major leagues. Lower-level minor league players plan to report to spring training toward the end of March, after major league teams have vacated the facilities, and will prepare for their seasons in Arizona and Florida.

• 2 weeks later...

Experimental rules being tested in the minor leagues this season. To sum up:

• Triple-A gets larger bases (18-inches vs. 15-inches traditional)
  • Double-A gets defensive positioning restrictions; the four infielders have to be on the dirt; they may also restrict two-to-each-side of second base but aren't yet
  • High-A gets a "step off" rule; the pitcher has to come off the rubber prior to throwing to a base.
  • Low-A gets a limit of two "step-offs" or "pickoffs" per plate appearance, if a pitcher tries a third time and fails to pick off a runner, it's a balk
  • Low-A Southeast will also get some expanded use of Automatic Ball/Strike System
  • Low-A West gets timers for between pitches, inning breaks and pitching changes, with additional regulations not noted beyond the ones already used elsewhere in the minor leagues.

34 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Experimental rules being tested in the minor leagues this season. To sum up:

• Triple-A gets larger bases (18-inches vs. 15-inches traditional)
  • Double-A gets defensive positioning restrictions; the four infielders have to be on the dirt; they may also restrict two-to-each-side of second base but aren't yet
  • High-A gets a "step off" rule; the pitcher has to come off the rubber prior to throwing to a base.
  • Low-A gets a limit of two "step-offs" or "pickoffs" per plate appearance, if a pitcher tries a third time and fails to pick off a runner, it's a balk
  • Low-A Southeast will also get some expanded use of Automatic Ball/Strike System
  • Low-A West gets timers for between pitches, inning breaks and pitching changes, with additional regulations not noted beyond the ones already used elsewhere in the minor leagues.

I love the AA idea, hate the A ideas(all of them are the work of the devil) and am neutral on the AAA idea.

9 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I love the AA idea, hate the A ideas(all of them are the work of the devil) and am neutral on the AAA idea.

I like all of the ideas (well, I don't really much care about the base size one).  The step-off rule is great.  It eliminates lefties balking on every pickoff like they currently do.  The pitch clock is great - way too much farting around between pitches.  The 2-throw limit on pickoffs is great - speeds up the game.  

I especially like the defensive restrictions requiring infielders to, you know, be in the infield.  There are already rules in place regarding defensive positioning (the catcher says hello) so this is just an expansion.  I hope they do the two-per-side expansion later as they've discussed.  

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 2:52 AM, Tabe said:

I like all of the ideas (well, I don't really much care about the base size one).  The step-off rule is great.  It eliminates lefties balking on every pickoff like they currently do.  The pitch clock is great - way too much farting around between pitches.  The 2-throw limit on pickoffs is great - speeds up the game.  

I especially like the defensive restrictions requiring infielders to, you know, be in the infield.  There are already rules in place regarding defensive positioning (the catcher says hello) so this is just an expansion.  I hope they do the two-per-side expansion later as they've discussed.  

I have a better suggestion: How about managers pull their heads out of their asses and do what would be done back when baseball made sense: have guys bunt down the side opposite of the shift or teach guys how to hit the opposite way. If teams started doing that the shift tactics would stop pretty quick.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sabremike said:

I have a better suggestion: How about managers pull their heads out of their asses and do what would be done back when baseball made sense: have guys bunt down the side opposite of the shift or teach guys how to hit the opposite way. If teams started doing that the shift tactics would stop pretty quick.

Because: 1) bunting is a victory for the defense; 2) it simply isn't possible to go the opposite way the huge majority of the time.

Also, for righties, there's still defense there for bunts. 

Do you seriously think no one has thought to try what you suggest? 

Edited by Tabe

25 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Because: 1) bunting is a victory for the defense; 2) it simply isn't possible to go the opposite way the huge majority of the time.

Also, for righties, there's still defense there for bunts. 

Do you seriously think no one has thought to try what you suggest? 

If bunting and getting a free single is a victory for the defense why not just issue an intentional walk and not waste everyone's time? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If bunting and getting a free single is a victory for the defense why not just issue an intentional walk and not waste everyone's time? 

Because guys won't reach base most of the time? Because a guy on first is better than a guy on 2nd or 3rd?

• 2 weeks later...