DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

WWE applied for the following trademarks "slamboree," "candy floss," "the match beyond," "bunkhouse stampede," "battlebowl," and "superbrawl."

If you apply for a trademark and want to keep it don’t you have to use it occasionally? I remember that being why Marvel would release new Captain Marvel comics every few years in the 90s.

Can't recall if it was copyright or trademarks, but yeah, I brought it up over Halloween Havoc. Its why NXT has been using some of the old names for ppvs or tv specials. I assume Cody or someone either tried to get those, or WWE is being more pre-emptive about these things now.

I get that Cody wants these names and concepts because they were attached to his Dad, but wrestling has gotta move on. Nostalgia will only get you so far, it is high time to invent some new traditions. Easier said than done, I realize, but the concept of a PPV as a monetary stream is outdated - the titles (especially the ones not connected to particular match types) can rest as well.

- RAF, iconoclast (except for Starrcade, maybe)

• Thanks 1

As far as Cody going after the trademarks Dusty created, is it that he wants to own them himself, or is it just that he thinks that WWE sitting on the trademarks and not using them is disrespecting Dusty's legacy?

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

As far as Cody going after the trademarks Dusty created, is it that he wants to own them himself, or is it just that he thinks that WWE sitting on the trademarks and not using them is disrespecting Dusty's legacy?

Bit of both, I'd say.

I've been watching a lot of 2001/2002 OVW lately. Towards the end of 2001, Brock Lesnar gets written out after the Disciples of Synn throw a fireball in his face. His tag partner, Shelton Benjamin, goes after the Disciples for revenge by dressing in all black, putting on a leather trench coat, and attacking them with a pool cue.

You guys... he's doing Hardbody Harrison's "Stang" idea. ?

• Haha 4

So... where did Matt Cardona go? He showed up over the summer, wrestled a bit, got a shirt that said "I'm Here"... and now he isn't.

I see on wikipedia he was on a limited appearance deal and that expired, but... What now? Is he doing something outside of wrestling? I mean, Bryan Myers and Heath are in Impact, at least.

2 hours ago, kafkonia said:

So... where did Matt Cardona go? He showed up over the summer, wrestled a bit, got a shirt that said "I'm Here"... and now he isn't.

I see on wikipedia he was on a limited appearance deal and that expired, but... What now? Is he doing something outside of wrestling? I mean, Bryan Myers and Heath are in Impact, at least.

He's got all this stuff with his wrestling figures podcast. They're putting out a line of retro toys and they are supposed to be in the Retromania video game. If he can afford to buy rare toys and spend time at home with his hot fiancé, i'd say he's living the life.

Also it's pretty scary how easy it is to look up info on someone on one of those background check websites. Addresses, phone numbers, everything.

I think Cardona is mainly waiting on the indies to open back up fully instead of just a handful. Major WF Pod makes decent to good money from merch, Patreon, their live podcast shows and sponsors too I'd imagine. Plus, Chelsea just had COVID not too long ago apparently, so there's that.