DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

14 minutes ago, nofuture said:

This sounds both totally ominous and totally bullshit at the same time.

Gee, I sure hope no-one thinks that crashing this particular party and spoiling Undertaker's final farewell is a good idea! I will be suprised if this goes off without a hitch.

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Fiend needs to attack Taker and then we get the Undertaker Firefly Funhouse match for Mania next year.

I think a Funhouse match would be a good idea for Taker, just not at Mania. Assuming there's a crowd next year, I think they would turn on the event horribly if it turns out the Taker match is a pre-tape

• Like 1

It's not like the fans wouldn't know that the Firefly Funhouse is a pre-tape/cinematic match, though.

But given current American circumstances, it's bold of you to assume that a live crowd will be allowed next year. We might lockdown hard after January.

I can see it now,

Families spending loads on Christmas gifts only to be put out of work due to a lengthy lockdown.  During said lockdown the only thing on TV will be rioting and BLM marching. Not even WWE will be able to run in Florida as they will be forced into lockdown too.   In an effort to give us new entertainment Dana will rent fight island to Vince for Wrestlemania only.  

You thought 2020 was bad. Wait for 2021 the sequel. 

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 1:19 AM, caley said:

One spot where Warlord had Mongo beat: appearance!

the-warlord.jpg

When I saw Warlord in this get-up with the W-Staff and the metallic Phantom of the Opera mask and the big belt, I became a huge fan of his. After a certain amount of matches, even as a child, I came to realize that he was really, really boring. But man did he look cool.

and he had Slick in his corner

Slick > Debra McMichael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My wife is driving the kids to grandma's house out in the countryside this weekend. Good timing for me, with Full Gear and Power Struggle to watch. The only match I'm not all hyped for is Naito vs Evil (because a Naito main event title defense is going to go looonnggg, and I have seen enough of long match EVIL to last me a lifetime over the last few months).

I'm totally hyped for Full Gear. I feel like I was almost alone in honestly enjoying All Out, and this weekend's PPV will almost certainly blow that one out of the water. 

Like everyone else,I am super-hyped for Mox vs Kingston, and I feel like Page vs Omega, Cody vs Darby, FTR vs the Bucks, Jericho vs MJF, and Cassidy vs Silver all have stuff I can hang my hat on, both women's matches could be good, and Sammy and Matt have a chance to (kind of) make up for what happened last time. 

As for Power Struggle: I haven't watched any NJPW since the G1 finals and if my kids were in town I might not be watching this evening... but I'm always up for MiSu vs Shingo. Plus,w ith New Japan there is always the chance that a match I'm not all that hyped for personally will exceed expectations and steal the card.

EDIT: Whoops, the video is for last year's Full Gear!

Lot of crappy things going on in the world right now, but it's a pretty great time to be a pro wrestling fan!

Edit: Here is this year's Count Down:

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I can see it now,

Families spending loads on Christmas gifts only to be put out of work due to a lengthy lockdown.  During said lockdown the only thing on TV will be rioting and BLM marching. Not even WWE will be able to run in Florida as they will be forced into lockdown too.   In an effort to give us new entertainment Dana will rent fight island to Vince for Wrestlemania only.  

You thought 2020 was bad. Wait for 2021 the sequel. 

Seinfeld re-runs will probably still be offered on some television channels if you’re looking for other entertainment. Maybe Sunday afternoon screening of Shawshank Redemption or the Bo Jackson 30 for 30. I think there’ll be options. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You can have Slick. I'll take Debra.

Yeah, I was going say something similar. Like, ok, if Slick's already taken, I guess that leaves me with Debra. And honestly, I could find a way to live with that.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and he had Slick in his corner

Slick > Debra McMichael

Might have shared this before but even if I did I think you guys will appreciate it.

IWC used to have a Night of Legends Show in Franklin, PA.  @Gorman did commentary on a few I believe so he may be able to confirm this story.

One year they had the Powers of Pain Vs Demolition.   I was stoked to meet both teams but when it came time to meet Warlord I was floored.  His skin was purple!!   Now I am colorblind so this should tell you just how purple the Warlords skin actually was. Apparently he had taken so many hormones/growth supplements  that it legit turned him purple!!

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Might have shared this before but even if I did I think you guys will appreciate it.

IWC used to have a Night of Legends Show in Franklin, PA.  @Gorman did commentary on a few I believe so he may be able to confirm this story.

One year they had the Powers of Pain Vs Demolition.   I was stoked to meet both teams but when it came time to meet Warlord I was floored.  His skin was purple!!   Now I am colorblind so this should tell you just how purple the Warlords skin actually was. Apparently he had taken so many hormones/growth supplements  that it legit turned him purple!!

Wow, I would have loved to call Powers of Pain vs. Demolition, especially since I was right on the floor at Survivor Series 88, and the double-turn happened right in front of me. Alas, the IWC started its Night of Legends shows after I finished up with the company in late 2004.

I could have corroborated the "Warlord is purple" story because the Powers were supposed to reunite at the Cleveland Knights Championship Wrestling "New World Rising" IPPV, but double alas, Warlord didn't show up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was happy to have Slick on TV as a kid just to see a black manager running things, but even at the tender age of six, I knew that character was incredibly racist...though I admit to then, and now, finding Akeem's weird hand motions to be hilarious. It goes from "hey, that's racist" to "hey, that white guy's racist idea of black folks's, uh, hand movements, I guess, is hilarious" so that the joke actually is on Akeem.

Debra was an effective heel mouthpiece, IMO. She turned on the "whiny Southern-accented talking voice" thing, the type of voice that someone like her character would use when complaining to the poor barista about how all the cups at Starbucks say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." She was good in her role as the delusional beauty queen wife of the meathead athlete. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I was happy to have Slick on TV as a kid just to see a black manager running things, but even at the tender age of six, I knew that character was incredibly racist...though I admit to then, and now, finding Akeem's weird hand motions to be hilarious. It goes from "hey, that's racist" to "hey, that white guy's racist idea of black folks's, uh, hand movements, I guess, is hilarious" so that the joke actually is on Akeem.

Debra was an effective heel mouthpiece, IMO. She turned on the "whiny Southern-accented talking voice" thing, the type of voice that someone like her character would use when complaining to the poor barista about how all the cups at Starbucks say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." She was good in her role as the delusional beauty queen wife of the meathead athlete. 

My reasoning on preferring Debra over Slick also has something to do with cups, but nothing at all to do with Starbucks.

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

My reasoning on preferring Debra over Slick also has something to do with cups, but nothing at all to do with Starbucks.

Horny jail's  <-- back that way, sir, please go turn yourself in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2