DVDVR Message Board

Most Hated Wrestler

OSJ

Bayley. Couldn't stand her from day one and have always found her ridiculously overrated. Ruined Sasha for years. Is everything people say about Charlotte being overpushed.
Ciampa/Gargano. Turned me off NXT for good with their shitty forced drama. Horrible in every sense. 
Braun Strowman. Despised him squashing everyone/ruining matches for years. Turned me off SD this year and now turning me off RAW.
Bray Wyatt. Didn't ilke him initially, became OK with him after awhile. Then came the Fiend shit, fuck all of that.
Street Profits. Ever since those endless weeks of them just talking backstage. Cringe inducing channel changers. 

• Like 1

Using this all-too-frequent "oops I meant to edit" moment to mention some other least-faves. Hogan, because he was the reason I knew wrestling was fake since elementary school. Zandig, because why the hell not? I irrationally hated Tiger Mask IV for years, when he was the IWGP Junior Heavyweight champion during the dark days, but I take most of it back - he knows his role now and he's a good hand. Recently it's been Will Ospreay. I'm going all-out skip-the-match boycott with him, glad he wasn't too much of a factor in the G1.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

IIRC, the horrifying Jim Ross puppy story is even worse than recounted here. His dad didn't have him drown them, he made him kill them with a hammer. Because they weren't purebred so he couldn't sell them. Apparently giving free puppies away wasn't something that crossed his psychotic mind.

-------

Most hated is so hard. I'm gonna try to leave personal lives out of this and just go by on screen/in the arena stuff. Currently, it's probably Rollins. His discount K-Mart Kenny Omega ringwork mixed with being literally one of the worst promos in the history of major pro wrestling is just ugh.

Guy who just flat out bored me the most, all-time, was Mike Rotunda. Everything he did was technically sound, but he makes Lance Storm feel like young Rey.

Most "I hate him because he's overrated" is, obviously, HBK.

Also, The Equalizer/Dave Sullivan/Evad... Just... Holy fuck that guy was bad.

Edited by Brian Fowler

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Guy who just flat out bored me the most, all-time, was Mike Rotunda. Everything he did was technically sound, but he makes Lance Storm feel like young Rey.

You beat me. Mike Rotundo is the epitome of white mediocrity.  He's the dude who's on TV every week that makes every minority who is not on TV looking around asking, "so you'll just put any white dude on TV?" I want to get a beer or two into Koko B. Ware and ask him about Mike Rotundo. I bet he'll go off for hours. I can't think of a wrestler I've seen more who I've liked less. Seriously,  if you had access to all the wrestling ever and the rest of time to watch nothing but wrestling, would you ever watch a Mike Rotundo match? I wouldn't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

IIRC, the horrifying Jim Ross puppy story is even worse than recounted here. His dad didn't hate him drown them, he made him kill them with a hammer. Because they weren't purebred so he couldn't sell them. Apparently giving free puppies away wasn't something that crossed his psychotic mind.

-------

Most hated is so hard. I'm gonna try to leave personal lives out of this and just go by on screen/in the arena stuff. Currently, it's probably Rollins. His discount K-Mart Kenny Omega ringwork mixed with being literally one of the worst promos in the history of major pro wrestling is just ugh.

Most "I hate him because he's overrated" is, obviously, HBK.

Also, The Equalizer/Dave Sullivan/Evad... Just... Holy fuck that guy was bad.

In that vein, I had a period like that with Benoit. I had too many friends in the late 90s / early 00s who were into him and it just made me want to look away. 

39 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Damn, either Ross told two versions of that story or his dad made him kill a bunch of dogs on two separate occasions.

When he had a show in Baltimore he told the story with him saying it was with the hammer.  The room got very quiet very fast when he said that.

When it comes to emotionally disliking a wrestler, it is Hogan by far for me. Never found his act entertaining (maybe the first few times I saw him) and even as a kid actively rooted against him every time just in hopes he would lose the belts and quit wrestling.

I don’t really have a wrestler I refuse to watch. Randy Orton as a face comes close. But as far as non-wrestlers go I cannot stand to watch or listen to Justin Roberts. Everything about his look and voice makes me want to fast forward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Coaster said:

When it comes to emotionally disliking a wrestler, it is Hogan by far for me. Never found his act entertaining (maybe the first few times I saw him) and even as a kid actively rooted against him every time just in hopes he would lose the belts and quit wrestling.

How old are you? I was someone who rooted against Hogan for a lot of my childhood,  but I was the only kid I knew who didn't love him. With that said,  I never would go as far as to say that I wasn't entertained. I can't think of many people more entertaining, honestly. 

• Like 1

I fell out of love with hogan with the whole Yoko switch that he did.  I was all in on Lex pre body slam, was all in on Bret, the Road Warriors, Macho.  Hogan was never my fav, but I based lots of my enjoyment of a wrestler on who had the moves I liked to steal for my CAW and junk.  Plus with how my fandom cycled, every time I was pulled in, Hogan was on top but not the best thing on the shows by far.

I don't really hate anyone in any entertainment industry.  I just stop giving them energy, or thought and keep it movin.  I suppose the closest it comes is hating Vince himself for doing everything he can to kill his own products through his short sighted and short attention span for his "toys" but thats about it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

How old are you? I was someone who rooted against Hogan for a lot of my childhood,  but I was the only kid I knew who didn't love him. With that said,  I never would go as far as to say that I wasn't entertained. I can't think of many people more entertaining, honestly. 

I was 10 when he first one the belt. I know by Mania 2 I was known around the playground as the kid who hated Hogan. 

I just couldn’t figure out why (1) he was always yelling at me and (2) why every match was him getting beat up until suddenly he decided it wasn’t going to hurt anymore and then the bad guys just kept punching him in the head anyway. 

I got tired of it quickly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Uncle Coaster said:

I was 10 when he first one the belt. I know by Mania 2 I was known around the playground as the kid who hated Hogan. 

I just couldn’t figure out why (1) he was always yelling at me and (2) why every match was him getting beat up until suddenly he decided it wasn’t going to hurt anymore and then the bad guys just kept punching him in the head anyway. 

I got tired of it quickly. 

You're older than me, but I can tell you that for people who are between 37-42ish, Hogan was a rock star. I don't remember exactly when I started watching wrestling,  but The Mega Powers is what hooked me. I loved Randy Savage,  and could not understand why anyone rooted for Hogan after he left Savage to get his ass beat by the Twin Towers and then acted like Macho Man was tripping when he was pissed about it.  I get it,  Savage to it too far,  but Hogan was acting like Elizabeth was dead when she took a hard fall. She was going to be fine,  Savage was literally being beat on by two 300+ lb. men and Hogan was in the back holding his girl's hand. Fuck that dude, lol. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

One of the advantages of not becoming a fan until being a teenager is almost never liking Hogan (or Dusty) from the beginning. ?

Not liking Dusty is just plain inexcusable. He's no great worker,  but he is everything else I could possibly want in a pro wrestler. He's on the short list of best pro wrestlers of all time unless you're 100% dedicated on being an internet workrate fan. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wish we had more footage of heel Dusty, either as a single or with the Texas Outlaws. 

We do have some Japan stuff of him going pretty far heel and it's great. Past that it's really scant.

Edited by Matt D

I started watching wrestling during the lead up to Mania 1, so I would have been 10 years old.  I was at best ambivalent toward Hogan from the start.  I guess I found him bland the way some people find Superman to be bland.  It didn’t take long for me to become a full-on heel fan from a very early age.  I also started watching Crockett not to long after as well and, aside from the Road Warriors, their heels were just flat out better than their faces.  Sorry, I just never liked Dusty either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I was at best ambivalent toward Hogan from the start.  I guess I found him bland the way some people find Superman to be bland.

Can't be the exact same way. You're not objectively wrong about Hogan.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

You beat me. Mike Rotundo is the epitome of white mediocrity.  He's the dude who's on TV every week that makes every minority who is not on TV looking around asking, "so you'll just put any white dude on TV?" I want to get a beer or two into Koko B. Ware and ask him about Mike Rotundo. I bet he'll go off for hours. I can't think of a wrestler I've seen more who I've liked less. Seriously,  if you had access to all the wrestling ever and the rest of time to watch nothing but wrestling, would you ever watch a Mike Rotundo match? I wouldn't. 

You know your ass is getting audited after that post right????????????

• Haha 9

On 11/3/2020 at 12:54 PM, Zimbra said:

My extremely dated most hated wrestler is Buff Bagwell, who never did anything in or out of the ring that interested me.  Konnan is up there, too, although he would occasionally do a neat spot so he can't be all the way at the bottom.

My extremely dated and extremely niche pick is Rapid Fire Maldonado, who was usually the worst part of every PCW show I saw but still got pushed to the moon.

ETA: Also Messiah.  That guy sucked.

Well, in all fairness to the Messiah, it's difficult to wrestle without any thumbs...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Ah, my young friend... You apparently forget the great (but sadly short-lived) tag-team of Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo. They even had the song "Real American" written for them as their entrance music until the Orange Goblin decided that it was just the thing for all the little Hulkamaniacs

10 hours ago, supremebve said:

That's fucking harsh, accurate, but harsh.

55 minutes ago, OSJ said:

That's fucking harsh, accurate, but harsh.

I play in a recreational kickball league and one way to get social points is to post a brief write up about that week's game.  I've gotten this exact comment numerous times.  Every once in a while we'll play a team who is shitty to the refs, and I make sure to publicly eviscerate them in the vicious way possible.