DVDVR Message Board

Most Hated Wrestler

OSJ

1 hour ago, Andy Stowell said:

I’m suprised no one has mentioned Jose Gonzales, Carlos Colon, and the other Puerto Rican wrestlers associated with Bruiser Brody’s murder. What an injustice. To this day people who try and investigate what really happened are threatened and intimidated. It still burns my ass when people try and post and push WWC matches on message boards.

Thought I had mentioned Gonzales, if I didn't, I certainly meant to. No idea if there's any truth to the rumor that Onita plotted to lure him to Japan where he could be offed by the Yakuza, but considering that Onita is at least 50% batshit crazy, I tend to believe it. To a nicer guy, it couldn't happen.

Certainly Brody was a pain-in-the-ass to deal with, but if you have a problem with the guy, just don't book him; there's no reason to knife the dude when he's taking a shower.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Thought I had mentioned Gonzales, if I didn't, I certainly meant to. No idea if there's any truth to the rumor that Onita plotted to lure him to Japan where he could be offed by the Yakuza, but considering that Onita is at least 50% batshit crazy, I tend to believe it. To a nicer guy, it couldn't happen.

Certainly Brody was a pain-in-the-ass to deal with, but if you have a problem with the guy, just don't book him; there's no reason to knife the dude when he's taking a shower.

It wasn’t so much Brody was a pain in the ass, it’s that he knew who he worked for. Baba paid the bills ( not only did he pay him generously, but he also covered his income tax in Japan and USA). He’d do a job if it made sense for All Japans business. In St Louis he lost twice to Race in NWA Title Matches, and once to DiBiase since Ted was a project they were building to a champion. 
And not to be a conspiracy nut, but when I heard evidence that Brody had bought in to the territory, and was murdered because of that, it made a lot of sense.

Jeff Jarrett was entertaining he was Double J MMA and The World Champion of Mexico but once the bell rings he’s pretty average. There was no need for him to have the year long run as NWA Champion in TNA 04-05 other than  him owning the company. 

I also don’t like Honma all that much but that got me flack in the AEW thread a few months back.

The thing I don't get about Shaen Spears is, there was that one time when he was Tye Dillinger and he was super duper over. He drew number ten in the Royal Rumble and loads of people were going Ten! Ten! Ten! This is great NXT NXT NXT NXT!

What was all that about then?

Greg Valentine-  the guy is a dick and his matches follow the same boring formula "he doesn't get warmed up until 20 mins into the match"   Well by that point I've fallen asleep or changed the channel

El Gigante-  Guy couldn't move in the ring, couldn't do a promo, he was eye candy.  "Hey guys we have a near 8 ft giant on our roster come watch us" 

Great Khali-  Another guy who couldn't do a thing in the ring. He came on the tv, i changed the channel. 

Austin Aries-  Asshole outside the ring, asshole in the locker room, unprofessional and there is not 1 thing he can do that a guy like Pac can't do better. Should have never been the guy to beat Joe in ROH. It went to his head and he's been a prick ever since

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chris was great from 2002-2005 or so. His stuff in ROH as leader of the prophecy was great. He had charisma he did flashy moves, he got over.  Now it's almost like he is phoning it in. He would make a good agent or even manager but his best in-ring days are behind him.  He was always a decent guy to talk to though. We used to have him come to Pittsburgh with AJ monthly.  Saw some really good AJ-Daniels   and AJ-Daniels-Homicide  matches.  that our very own Jeff Gorman called on commentary 

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Greg Valentine-  the guy is a dick and his matches follow the same boring formula "he doesn't get warmed up until 20 mins into the match"   Well by that point I've fallen asleep or changed the channel

I'm actually a fan of Greg's and that's one of the leading reasons, but I get why other people wouldn't like it.

Edited by The Green Meanie

Santino’s unfunny shtick was “nails on a chalkboard” material for me.  I don’t hate any wrestlers, but I do have an irrational dislike of Santino.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 4

On 10/31/2020 at 2:22 PM, AxB said:

When I first watched American Wrestling, I never was impressed by Jim Cornette. He just seemed cheap and tacky. And I don't see any way you could do any actual damage to someone by hitting them with a Tennis Racket. And then Smoky Mountain Wrestling, at a time when ECW was establishing what Pro-Wrestling was going to be in 90s, SMW was straight out of the 70s. And it was just... bad. Cheesy, cliched, obvious, lame. How many wrestlers who worked SMW didn't have better matches, better interviews, better all-round performances in other promotions? Because I'd say it was pretty close to all of them. And after that, he's just shuttling around from company to company doing his old boring routine oldly and boringly, antagonising everyone he ever worked for. Antagonising the entire business to the point that he can't get a job, and has to parasite off wrestling by producing a cheap heat podcast that is just a pile of shit.

I don't think people realized that Cornette loaded the racket with a horseshoe.  He actually used to split marks' heads wide open with the racket whenever they went after him.  I don't get the idea that being hit by a racket that was obviously loaded wouldn't hurt a fly.  

SMW was a solid promotion that had a slow build to it and really started cooking.  Dr. Tom Prichard's best work was in SMW, combined with Jimmy Del Ray...a diamond in the rough from Florida.  Buddy Landell got his career back on track in SMW.  I think SMW was Candido's best all around work as well and the same with Tracy Smothers who was booked as being a wannabe Italian in ECW.  And Cornette doesn't work in the business because he doesn't need the money.

I never really got Cornette and his mother angle.  It was frankly annoying, go home heat from me.  But outside of that he was a master on the mic, knowing how to get his guy over, the babyface over and how to sell people on coming to the arena to watch whomever beat the Midnight Express.  

HoC

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Santino’s unfunny shtick was “nails on a chalkboard” material for me.  I don’t hate any wrestlers, but I do have an irrational dislike of Santino.

Yes, he comes off like a total jerkoff and the joke got old a long time ago and the act that I'm supposed to continue to like it is aggravating.

HoC

6 hours ago, AxB said:

The thing I don't get about Shaen Spears is, there was that one time when he was Tye Dillinger and he was super duper over. He drew number ten in the Royal Rumble and loads of people were going Ten! Ten! Ten! This is great NXT NXT NXT NXT!

What was all that about then?

Fans (especially the regular NXT Full Sail crowd that was around during most of his run) like to chant shit. The talking point about someone' chant being over but them not being over sounds a bit asinine, but for people like him, Bobby Roode, and Ryback it was accurate. People liked their catch phrase but none of them were over when it came to their actual wrestling.

• Thanks 1

A lot of good wrestlers being listed in here.  Why hate a good wrestler?  Why not hate a wrestler that can't work at all?  Like Shawn Michaels for example.. it's ridiculous to say he can't work.  He has too many matches that wound up being fantastic.  A terrible worker doesn't have a collection of matches that strong.  

I think he's a dick and he's nowhere close to being as 'great' as WWE wants you to believe but a bad wrestler.... no.  

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Jeff Jarrett was entertaining he was Double J MMA and The World Champion of Mexico but once the bell rings he’s pretty average. There was no need for him to have the year long run as NWA Champion in TNA 04-05 other than  him owning the company. 

Jeff Jarrett had a really fun IC title match against Shawn Micheals at one of the IYH PPVs. To me he would have been perfect if he had stayed in the US/IC title scene. No need for him to be booked as the top guy in TNA/WCW (although TNA had the drop the title moment and Planet Jarrett which was fun)