DVDVR Message Board

Most Hated Wrestler

OSJ

Okay, in a bit of a departure from being the bringer of sweetness and light, to say nothing of being the champion of fair play, here's something a bit more negative. Who among wrestlers past and present do you really, really dislike? It can be a murderer like Benoit (though in all fairness, he appears to have suffered from severe brain damage), (Jose Gonzalez has no such excuse,) a racist twat like Hogan, a basic jerk like the late Bruiser Brody, a card-carrying member of the KKK like Dick Murdoch, or a generally mean-spirited, criminal prick like the Dynamite Kid. Certainly the kid-diddlers like Bob Sweetan and Buck Zumhofe rate highly on my own list, but who ya got?

While I can respect the choice of a murderer or a rapist, etc...that's a bit too easy to do and how do you separate Benoit vs. Gonzalez vs. Zumhof?

So I want to go with a wrestler that was a piece of shit in the business.  Who took advantage of the business at other people's expense and had really nothing to contribute.

With that in mind I boiled it down to Hellwig or New Jack.  The things that keep me from making it New Jack is that at least New Jack could cut a promo and while it takes no talent to jump off a balcony, it's at least sacrificing himself.  

Warrior? Nope, nothing.

He used to potato people, grab the balls of jobbers when he did the military press slam and just didn't care about anybody but himself.  He was perfectly fine with holding the WWF hostage during his title reign at the expense of others who worked for the company and had mouths to feed and futures to plan.  He was notorious for agreeing to do a deal with promoters and then holding them up for money right before the show.  

Just no redeeming qualities to him whatsoever.

HoC

I dunno, I never got into the whole "he's a terrible human" thing because I figured judging some of these guys for that was like choosing between being buried beneath 49 feet of crap or being buried beneath 50 feet of crap.  I suppose Quack qualifies these days, since that whole blow-up a while ago was the wrong kind of illuminating. 

As far as someone I would boo no matter what, there's Yoji Anjo and there's everyone else.  The single most eminently hate-worthy mug ever.

Someone I can't stand from the perspective of, "This person is awful at everything and I just want them to go away", I always loathed the New Age Outlaws any time they were on the screen.  It's like watching a Steelers versus Ravens game: you just want a meteor to hit the stadium and erase it from existence.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Submitted for consideration, based purely on their performances and not real lives:

Jeff Jarrett

Harris Twins

Justin Credible 

Get. Off. My. TV.

Jeff Jarrett was a perfectly acceptable mid-card guy who had a genius for convincing promoters that he was a much bigger star than he actually was. 

The Harris twins, in addition to their deplorable politics stunk it up like nobody's business in the ring. A hearty "fuck you" to both of them.

Justin Credible was, (as with Jarrett), a perfectly acceptable mid-carder who was pushed to the moon when Heyman didn't have anyone else to drink his Kool-Aid. I don't really blame the guy, he tried, he just wasn't convincing when elevated beyond his capabilities.

• Like 5

Hulk Hogan. Hated him for always winning, a sore loser when beat fairly, his repeated backstage politics like at Starrcade 1997 vs. Sting and worse of all, he's a racist piece of shit. I have utter contempt for the Hulkster. Fuck you, Hulk Hogan. Fuck right off.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 11

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hulk Hogan. Hated him for always winning, a sore loser when beat fairly, his repeated backstage politics like at Starrcade 1997 vs. Sting and worse of all, he's a racist piece of shit. I have utter contempt for the Hulkster. Fuck you, Hulk Hogan. Fuck right off.

You and I are of a like mind here. A whining crybaby throughout his career when he didn't get his way and a complete racist jackoff post-wrestling, (well, he probably was DURING his career, but was smart enough to keep his mouth shut so that guys like Tony Atlas didn't cave his face in.) 

I have to go with Warrior as one of the most singularly useless human beings that our species has yet produced. A racist, homphobic punk who was quite rightly flattened (with one punch), by Ric Rude. Rude was everything as a wrestler that Warrior could never be, good worker, great on the stic, equally adept at face or heel. Warrior was a complete waste of space. I hated him in Seattle/Portland as the "Dingo Warrior" before he got national exposure and I've seen no reason to change my opinion of him. Fuck him.

• Like 4

Just now, OSJ said:

You and I are of a like mind here. A whining crybaby throughout his career when he didn't get his way and a complete racist jackoff post-wrestling, (well, he probably was DURING his career, but was smart enough to keep his mouth shut so that guys like Tony Atlas didn't cave his face in.) 

I have to go with Warrior as one of the most singularly useless human beings that our species has yet produced. A racist, homphobic punk who was quite rightly flattened (with one punch), by Ric Rude. Rude was everything as a wrestler that Warrior could never be, good worker, great on the stick, equally adept at face or heel. Warrior was a complete waste of space. I hated him in Seattle/Portland as the "Dingo Warrior" before he got national exposure and I've seen no reason to change my opinion of him. Fuck him.

When I first watched American Wrestling, I never was impressed by Jim Cornette. He just seemed cheap and tacky. And I don't see any way you could do any actual damage to someone by hitting them with a Tennis Racket. And then Smoky Mountain Wrestling, at a time when ECW was establishing what Pro-Wrestling was going to be in 90s, SMW was straight out of the 70s. And it was just... bad. Cheesy, cliched, obvious, lame. How many wrestlers who worked SMW didn't have better matches, better interviews, better all-round performances in other promotions? Because I'd say it was pretty close to all of them. And after that, he's just shuttling around from company to company doing his old boring routine oldly and boringly, antagonising everyone he ever worked for. Antagonising the entire business to the point that he can't get a job, and has to parasite off wrestling by producing a cheap heat podcast that is just a pile of shit.

• Like 6

I've heard nothing bad about him off-screen, so this is based purely on his on-screen work, but Shawn Spears is instant change the channel, go away heat with me. His work is passable, albeit bland. I hate the fact that AEW has given him several gimmicks all at once. First, he's the chairman, then he did a short-lived anti-garbage wrestling gimmick, the contact lenses, and the loaded glove. Pick a gimmick and stick with it. He didn't annoy me as much in WWE with the "Perfect 10" gimmick, but AEW has pushed him more than he really should be.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

When I first watched American Wrestling, I never was impressed by Jim Cornette. He just seemed cheap and tacky. And I don't see any way you could do any actual damage to someone by hitting them with a Tennis Racket. And then Smoky Mountain Wrestling, at a time when ECW was establishing what Pro-Wrestling was going to be in 90s, SMW was straight out of the 70s. And it was just... bad. Cheesy, cliched, obvious, lame. How many wrestlers who worked SMW didn't have better matches, better interviews, better all-round performances in other promotions? Because I'd say it was pretty close to all of them. And after that, he's just shuttling around from company to company doing his old boring routine oldly and boringly, antagonising everyone he ever worked for. Antagonising the entire business to the point that he can't get a job, and has to parasite off wrestling by producing a cheap heat podcast that is just a pile of shit.

Well, first off I will admit to being a Cornette fanboy from way back, over the years we've corresponded a bit and he seems to be a totally nice guy, (probably helps that our politics are pretty similar). I LOVED Smokey Mountain Wrestling for exactly the reasons that you didn't, (I don't know how old you are, but Jim and I are months apart in age, so Smokey Mountain was, in fact a throwback to what we grew up on).  If you watched Smokey Mountain strictly for great wrestling you were bound to be disappointed, if you watched it for the angles, (many of which took weeks to unfold) it was absolutely great. As I said, it was a throwback to what I grew up on (Don Owens' Portland Wrestling), and viewed as such it was a treasure. I was also a big ECW & FNW guy during the 1990s and all I can say is that you really had to be there. I traded tapes like a maniac in order to keep up with the stuff that had no Washington State TV (such as SMW & ECW), we got the sporadic ECW broadcasts, but it was constantly pre-empted or moved around on the schedule until it was impossible to know when it was actually going to air. Tapes became an absolute must in order to keep up. Ii really sort of wish that I'd transferred all that stuff to DVD, as it would have been hella easy to store and transport when we made our big move from Washington to New Mexico. 

As it is, my permanent DVDs are primarily an 18-disc set of Barry Windham, a dozen or so Kevin Sullivan and another dozen of Arn Anderson. My misc file includes a bunch of Benoit, Flair, Superst*r Graham, Dusty, & Orndorff. The Japan disc collection is loaded with Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada, and every disc of Onita that I could get my hands on. I actually wouldn't mind getting a complete set of Smokey Mountain to re-watch in chronological order, same for ECW. Both feds are testaments to Cornette and Heyman being able to make stars out of fairly mediocre talents. When you can make stars out of guys like Justin Credible and Mikey Whipwreck, you're doing something very, very right. Oh, as to your point about the tennis racket, it was alluded to on several occasions that he had a horseshoe in the thing, no; you can't do a lot of damage hitting someone with a tennis racket, hitting them with a tennis racket that contains a horseshoe is a whole different story. "Cheap & tacky" was part of the gimmick, see Cornette was supposedly from a wealthy family which made the polyester suits and cheap ties all the more amusing as part of the gimmick. I don't agree with everything he has to say on his podcast, but he's always worth a listen. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Shawn Michaels

Probably the most over-rated worker of my lifetime. His ridiculous human pinball over-selling is ludicrous to the point of japery. Were Marty Janetty not such a complete headcase there's no doubt who would have been more fondly remembered. I can't think of a single Shawn Michaels match that wasn't lowered a notch or two by his ridiculous in-ring antics. That the guy was talented is without a doubt, unfortunately, he's one of those guys that needs someone to tell him when to turn it down a notch, sometimes less is more, a concept that eluded him his entire career. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Well, first off I will admit to being a Cornette fanboy from way back, over the years we've corresponded a bit and he seems to be a totally nice guy, (probably helps that our politics are pretty similar). I LOVED Smokey Mountain Wrestling for exactly the reasons that you didn't, (I don't know how old you are, but Jim and I are months apart in age, so Smokey Mountain was, in fact a throwback to what we grew up on).  If you watched Smokey Mountain strictly for great wrestling you were bound to be disappointed, if you watched it for the angles, (many of which took weeks to unfold) it was absolutely great. As I said, it was a throwback to what I grew up on (Don Owens' Portland Wrestling), and viewed as such it was a treasure. I was also a big ECW & FNW guy during the 1990s and all I can say is that you really had to be there. I traded tapes like a maniac in order to keep up with the stuff that had no Washington State TV (such as SMW & ECW), we got the sporadic ECW broadcasts, but it was constantly pre-empted or moved around on the schedule until it was impossible to know when it was actually going to air. Tapes became an absolute must in order to keep up. Ii really sort of wish that I'd transferred all that stuff to DVD, as it would have been hella easy to store and transport when we made our big move from Washington to New Mexico. 

As it is, my permanent DVDs are primarily an 18-disc set of Barry Windham, a dozen or so Kevin Sullivan and another dozen of Arn Anderson. My misc file includes a bunch of Benoit, Flair, Superst*r Graham, Dusty, & Orndorff. The Japan disc collection is loaded with Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada, and every disc of Onita that I could get my hands on. I actually wouldn't mind getting a complete set of Smokey Mountain to re-watch in chronological order, same for ECW. Both feds are testaments to Cornette and Heyman being able to make stars out of fairly mediocre talents. When you can make stars out of guys like Justin Credible and Mikey Whipwreck, you're doing something very, very right. Oh, as to your point about the tennis racket, it was alluded to on several occasions that he had a horseshoe in the thing, no; you can't do a lot of damage hitting someone with a tennis racket, hitting them with a tennis racket that contains a horseshoe is a whole different story. "Cheap & tacky" was part of the gimmick, see Cornette was supposedly from a wealthy family which made the polyester suits and cheap ties all the more amusing as part of the gimmick. I don't agree with everything he has to say on his podcast, but he's always worth a listen. 

FYI someone put every single episode of SMW's TV show up on YouTube.

• Like 1

Vince Jr., he wrestled so I can pick him. Killed the territories and now most every English language TV show is patterned off of his crap.

Hogan for being the face of bad cartoon wrestling.

Buh Buh Ray Dudley for being a dick.

I left murderers and criminals out of this (kind of).

• Like 5

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

I LOVED Smokey Mountain Wrestling for exactly the reasons that you didn't, (I don't know how old you are, but Jim and I are months apart in age, so Smokey Mountain was, in fact a throwback to what we grew up on). 

I turned 21 in 1995. I'm the only Brit on here who's old enough to have grown up on World of Sport, and (as I've said a few times) the first time I saw American Wrestling (which would be late 80s WWF) I thought it was a joke and that Americans couldn't wrestle at all. None of them knew any holds and all the goodies were idiots who chased the second around the ring even though it was obviously a trap. It was bad enough on WoS where every few weeks there'd be a Big Daddy match where all he ever did was the Belly Bump and the Splash. But then in the American Wrestling, every match was a Big Daddy match.

It took 91/92 WCW to convince me that Americans could actually work. Pillman, Sting, Steamboat, Cactus Jack, Big Van Vader, that was the good shit. Watching ECW in 94 was watching wrestling with an unprecedented level of violence and intensity. Watching SMW was like being asked to feel nostalgic for someone else's childhood.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've heard nothing bad about him off-screen, so this is based purely on his on-screen work, but Shawn Spears is instant change the channel, go away heat with me. His work is passable, albeit bland. I hate the fact that AEW has given him several gimmicks all at once. First, he's the chairman, then he did a short-lived anti-garbage wrestling gimmick, the contact lenses, and the loaded glove. Pick a gimmick and stick with it. He didn't annoy me as much in WWE with the "Perfect 10" gimmick, but AEW has pushed him more than he really should be.

Agree with this 100%. I have no personal grudge with Spears but the guy makes me hit the fast forward button as soon as I see him. 

• Like 2

I’m suprised no one has mentioned Jose Gonzales, Carlos Colon, and the other Puerto Rican wrestlers associated with Bruiser Brody’s murder. What an injustice. To this day people who try and investigate what really happened are threatened and intimidated. It still burns my ass when people try and post and push WWC matches on message boards.

• Like 1

In terms of purely in-ring... a few weeks ago IWTV was asking for twitter questions for a 44OH shoot interview. So I figured, they're massive heels, I can't ask them a Babyface type question about who they looked up to and idolised. So I asked "Growing up watching wrestling, who was the one guy who made you say 'That guy is absolutely terrible, I could wrestle better than that?'*". Rickey Shane Page (who is 36 years old) said Damien Kane from ECW. DVDVR favourite Atticus Cogar (who is 22) said The Miz.

* It made them laugh, which I'd hoped it would.

• Like 1