DVDVR Message Board

RIP Tracy Smothers

hammerva

22 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Shit, why is that stuff split up?

I'd tweeted Dave Prazak too for a good list of IWA-MS shows that have Tracy on commentary. He was pure gold on commentary.  If he responds I will be happy to posts the dates.  Nobdoy would know more about the best Tracy to check out than Dave.     

Also HSWN is incredible. The IWA-MS alone is worth it. So many gems from 2002-2006 or so.   Plus almost every PWG show, and 500+ shoots.  It's a great bargain.  Lots of good AAW too. 

• Thanks 2

Underrated gems abound in Tracy's work in W*ING as New Jason the Terrible.

One has the Japanese commentators calling him Tracy and mentioning SMW which is weird, because he was supposed to be mysterious.

Then he is eventually wrestling unmasked half the match like the other Jason.  But his brawling style isn't like his normal stuff - he's like going out of his way to wrestle as another person, kind of like when Flair was the Black Scorpion.

He pulled off being a fake fake Jason the Terrible (the W*ING one is the real Jason in my heart but everyone else is all over the Stampede version's masked nuts because he had the Zodiac who ruled) and it was good times.  

One of my fave tag matches I saw live was in FLA (1983-4ish?) when a green but game Wild Eyed Southern Boys took on the accomplished PYTs (a super underrated but short-lived team). The heat was nuclear - either team could have moved that crowd of crackers, but against each other it was perfect. Just the entrance musics got people frothy. He was a treasure and a gem all throughout his career. RIP, cowboy.

- RAF

I drove Tracy Smothers from the Cleveland airport to PA for the Steel City Wrestling title tournament. We stopped at my apartment, and his small college (Carson-Newman) was actually playing football on ESPN at the time. We drove to Bradford, and all the way, he kept saying, "It's all good, Jeff." He was just so happy to be driving to a wrestling show on a Friday instead of working an office job.

Nineteen years later, Eric Bischoff dropped out as my announce partner for the main event of the New World Rising Internet PPV. Who took his place? Tracy Smothers. What did he say? "It's all good, Jeff."

• Like 6

Just a great guy like many have said. Really underrated wrestler to who missed some breaks during a time when that happened to certain guys. He’s 1 of those guys who everybody on Earth thought was good. He was from a small but untouchable class of guys like Brad and Steve Armstrong, Joey Maggs, and the Fultons. They were the glue that held the entire industry together at times. I saw where Bobby was also sick. I hope he’ll be ok. 

Does anybody have a link or something to 5MYN2SB Tracy Smothers? I’m behind on them myself and not many have been mentioned here.

Oh man. Go to the 32 minute mark on that video. Smothers has been warned if he won't wrestle the Meanie he'll have to pay a $5000 fine. The ref starts counting and Tracy bursts out of the entrance, slides into the ring... and slides right through the opposite rope, hitting the barrier with his face. He has the announcer claim that he's going to slam and military press the Meanie, then says "in Nashville, Italy, and Czechoslovakia we settle things in a manly fashion" and challenges him to a dance-off. Earlier on he claims British citizenship and offers Cesaro five whole dollars to forfeit his title. The whole thing is a riot (pardon the pun).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh man. Go to the 32 minute mark on that video. Smothers has been warned if he won't wrestle the Meanie he'll have to pay a $5000 fine. The ref starts counting and Tracy bursts out of the entrance, slides into the ring... and slides right through the opposite rope, hitting the barrier with his face. He has the announcer claim that he's going to slam and military press the Meanie, then says "in Nashville, Italy, and Czechoslovakia we settle things in a manly fashion" and challenges him to a dance-off. Earlier on he claims British citizenship and offers Cesaro five whole dollars to forfeit his title. The whole thing is a riot (pardon the pun).

I just watched the first one here where he claimed his European ancestry and warned the crowd that if he hears a "USA" chant, EVERYBODY DIES and i had to pause because i am still having giggling fits and suppressing tears of laughter just from that one. 

• Like 1

Oh he does that a lot. "There's gonna be a mega murder mass homicide" has to be the best line ever uttered from a wrestler since the '80s. 

"I'm gonna paintbrush slap every last one of you!"

EDIT: Make that "ultra mega mass homicide". I think there are variations.

EDIT II: OH MY GOD. "There are three trashcans in this facility so you all have somewhere to live tonight."

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1