DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/21/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, hammerva said:

John silver could also be a big star with his personality, solid in ring, and crazy strength.  But he is also really short so not sure

All true but I think his height makes him even more endearing. He's got super underdog babyface charisma that I need to see vs. Brodie.

• Like 3

Sign me up as a fan of Omega’s take on being an aww shucks good sportsman going out there and giving 110% jam up guy, while in reality being an egotistical, pretentious dickhead. 

The ridiculous over the top entrance would work better if Cody weren’t already doing it....as a face, though. Dammit Cody.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not bad. As I said in the chat though I couldn't deal with the musical number. When Family Guy, or American Dad, or The Simpsons, or whoever do a musical number I'm out so that was an immediate mute button. 

I missed Fenix hitting his head, what happened? Match felt a little slow for them but it's nice knowing that they can reel it in and make the big spots mean something.

And yeah Do the Dew/Monster John Silver was awesome. As was Britt, again. It's like night and day since she returned. I still think her finisher could get her disqualified for being a joint lock but hey. 

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

John silver could also be a big star with his personality, solid in ring, and crazy strength.  But he is also really short so not sure

I brought it up months back. They need a flyweight division. Marko, Fuego, Serpentico, and John Silver need to fight for something.

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

If you missed it or want to revisit it.

For real, MJF lapped Jericho in this. He looked so at ease and is a natural. Jericho was trying to keep up... Which is exactly where this should go in the end with old man, insecure Jericho trying to keep up with this year's model. But, Jericho needs to come out of this a babyface and that's not a babyface move. But yeah, this was so much (fun).

• Like 3

I loved Kenny's new intro. "He's broken the Meltzer star system". Great stuff. The match going exactly as it was predicted earlier in the thread was fun, poor Sonny though. the Jericho/MJF bit was wild, absolutely ridiculous but somehow worked, way better than I expected. Wardlow/Jungle and Cabana/Hangman were both solid. Main event was ok with the obvious outcome. Speaking of obvious, the commentators shocked at the reveal of Tully was amusing. Britt looked great in her match. Pentagon/Fenix was pretty awesome as would be expected. Real good build for Moxley/Kingston. Full Gear shaping up to be another good looking lineup, looking forward to "the Elite Deletion" match.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I missed Fenix hitting his head, what happened? Match felt a little slow for them but it's nice knowing that they can reel it in and make the big spots mean something.

I think he fucked himself up turning over on the headscissors off the ropes. 

I figured that match was going to a draw to give heel Omega the bye. Whoops. 

• Like 1

As re-energized as I am for next week and the PPV, I don't think I can handle paying $50+ to watch Matt Hardy die again you guys. I never could bring myself to go back and watch the rest of that show. If it's not a pre-taped gimmick bullshit match where I don't have to wonder if Matt's dead or doing meta wrestling I think I'll go for a walk or something during it.

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the reason MJF was on Rosie as a child because he was kind of good at doing this vaudeville like stuff

That would certainly make sense. Brother was effortless. 

2 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I think he fucked himself up turning over on the headscissors off the ropes. 

I figured that match was going to a draw to give heel Omega the bye. Whoops. 

Yeah, it was the crazy headscissors from the top. He landed on his head and shoulders and they had to do a lot of rejigging on the fly. Impressive even if the match was wonky from there on out. Still managed to scrape together some real crazy shit instead of going home. This was probably a big match for the both of them to probably establish them as singles wrestlers in the not too distant future and were given the green light to go balls to the wall.

Edited by Jiji

5 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I loved Kenny's new intro. "He's broken the Meltzer star system". Great stuff.

The best part was Justin Robert’s “He once performed in NORTH CAROLINA” like he’s announcing the arrival of Jordan.

Edit: Jinx

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still confused by the Young Bucks' booking the past month or so. Why do all this fake "cool heel" shit and bust out the max level douchiness of the HBK earring if you're going to be sympathetic babyfaces at the PPV? Strange. There are still too many logical inconsistencies but AEW really does try to do a lot. Perhaps too much so this shit is bound to happen. I'm not saying you gotta do Bill Watts' realistic minimalism but if they could ever nail the high end crash tv shit with that sort of logical approach, that's a winning combination.

I thought this was the best episode of Dynamite in a long time.

Wardlow being dominant in the ring after their initial bungling of him is good to see.

Kenny Omega’s over the top entrance, squash of the replacement jobber and then clapping for him and raising his hand even though he got in no offense was great.

I thought I might have been drugged when MJF and Jericho went into a musical number. I don’t even know what to think just...WTF?

AEW just needs to put the women’s title on Britt Baker as soon as possible. She’s by far the most entertaining woman and has gotten noticeably better in the ring from when she started. 

Tully and FTR beating down the Young Bucks was great.

So Dark Order has to be turning. Brodie making sure Silver was okay, then DO helping Brodie to the back. Now this week they don’t attack Hangman, and continue the camaraderie with each other. They come off as very sympathetic. 

Wonder if Page being part of that moment will be a tease of him joining up with DO.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

oh ya, why did Tully need to be masked? Of course it was Tully. So much good but some really weird shit too.

And yeah, the breaking out to song and dance had a lot of people asking if their edible kicked in.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought this was a great show.  The tournament booking was perfect.  Sure, I would’ve been interested in Kenny/Sonny for 8 minutes, but the squash made more sense for what they’re doing right now.  Wardlow and Jungle Boy were terrific.

• Like 1