DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 37: Ortega vs. Korean Zombie (10/17/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

EjW91wpXsAIoziK.jpeg?1601692784

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 37: Ortega vs. Korean Zombie 
October 17, 2020
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Brian Ortega (146) vs. Chan Sung Jung (146) - Ortega, DEC (unanimous)
Katlyn Chookagian (126) vs. Jéssica Andrade (126) - Andrade, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:55)
Jimmy Crute (206) vs. Modestas Bukauskas (206) - Crute, KO (punches), R1 (2:01)
Cláudio Silva (171) vs. James Krause (171) - Krause, DEC (unanimous)
Thomas Almeida (146) vs. Jonathan Martinez (146) - Martinez, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Mateusz Gamrot (156) vs. Guram Kutateladze (156) - Kutateladze, DEC (split)
Gillian Robertson (125.5) vs. Poliana Botelho (125) - Robertson, DEC (unanimous)
Jun Yong Park (185) vs. John Phillips (186) - Park, DEC (unanimous)
Jamie Mullarkey (156) vs. Fares Ziam (156) - Ziam, DEC (unanimous)
Gadzhimurad Antigulov (206) vs. Maxim Grishin (205.5) - Grishin, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:58)
Said Nurmagomedov (136) vs. Mark Striegl (136) - Nurmagomedov, KO (punches), R1 (0:51)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jimmy Crute
Performance of the NightJéssica Andrade
Fight of the NightMateusz Gamrot vs. Guram Kutateladze

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc pinned this topic

Hoping Zombie and Ortega go at least three rounds. I don't want the judges to score it, but if we can get like 3.5/4 rounds of these two guys trying to make hamburger I'll be happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Hoping Zombie and Ortega go at least three rounds. I don't want the judges to score it, but if we can get like 3.5/4 rounds of these two guys trying to make hamburger I'll be happy.

As long as we don't get some fluke injury like someone rolling an ankle or an unintentional foul ending the fight, we should be good on that. Also, around this time two years ago, CSJ fell prey to some late fight heroics. That's kinda Ortega's M.O.

I am also looking forward to Crute vs. Modestas Bukauskas just because Bukauskas looked like a world beater in his UFC debut. Maybe Crute will bring him back down to Earth, but I think Bukauskas would be a great addition at 205 in terms of contendership if he managed to break through.

You dual screening UFC and Lopez/Loma? I think I'm gonna watch the latter live unless there's a big time discrepancy. Great one-two tho. I just hope the main event doesn't end quickly. Should be fire. 

13 minutes ago, Jiji said:

You dual screening UFC and Lopez/Loma? I think I'm gonna watch the latter live unless there's a big time discrepancy. Great one-two tho. I just hope the main event doesn't end quickly. Should be fire. 

If both were ESPN+, that would be the case. However, with Lomachenko vs. Lopez being on ESPN, I should be good. The issue that I have is UGA vs. Alabama being a night game, which I just found out today. So my attention will be divided anyway when it comes to changing the channel.

The whole Top Rank card is on ESPN from 6:30 to midnight my time. With the fight being in Vegas, I'm guessing the main event goes in the ring at between approximately 10:30 - 10:45 p.m. On UFC.com, the main card is listed as starting at 6 p.m. my time. If all goes according to plan, the UFC show should be over by the time Loma and Lopez make their ring walks. With that said, there are going to be a lot of video packages for UFC 254. That would push the UFC card a little longer, but there still should be a nice little 20-30 minute cushion.

• Like 1

That Welsh bloke was not fucking trying at all. What, he heard his opponent was nicknamed The Iron Turtle and took it as tactical advice?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AxB said:

That Welsh bloke was not fucking trying at all. What, he heard his opponent was nicknamed The Iron Turtle and took it as tactical advice?

This felt where like one of those PRIDE fights where a guy gets taken down earlier on and is hoping for a ref standup at some point. However, instead of one ten minute round, it's two rounds you can basically connect together.

That was beautiful mixed martial arts. It had a bit of everything but the battle for control on the ground was so fucking intense and fun to watch those guys roll. Gamrot's timing on his takedowns was almost as impressive as Kutateladze's ability to defend takedowns in so many ways. 

Both these guys have really bright futures but I thought Gamrot took the first and last round. Ah well.

WE GOT A NO. 1 BULLSHIT! THIS GUY RULES TOO.

Edited by Jiji

One of the issues with Thominhas is he always had a bad pokerface when it comes to blows being landed on him.  You can easily tell you got to him because he looks unsteady or he immediately starts backing up.  The strike count was close, but Martinez was landing sharper, more accurate, and obviously the more telling strikes.