DVDVR Message Board

THE 2020 WWE DRAFT - 10/9 & 10/12/2020

Kang

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I mean I will at least say it is consistent with the WWE logic that no wrestler watches the show while out

Wrestlers seem to not watch the shows even when they're wrestling on them - unless they're forced to so that a camera crew can film a "natural" backstage segment showing them watching a monitor.

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

I don't even watch the shows at all, but shouldn't Elias be going after Sheamus and not Jeff Hardy or is he supposed to be an idiot? Or am I the idiot and confusing angles.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There was a SDL episode that opened with Elias getting hit by a drunk driver who was supposedly Jeff Hardy

Turned out that Sheamus set up Hardy

(Elias was hurt so that was the angle they used to write him out)

I think the best part of that whole sketch was that one of the fake cops found the bottle of Jack, and someone (after they found the rental papers with his name on it) said the car smelled like Jeff Hardy.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Wrestlers seem to not watch the shows even when they're wrestling on them - unless they're forced to so that a camera crew can film a "natural" backstage segment showing them watching a monitor.

Brock Lesnar canonically confirmed this as I recall ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Can you blame them? ? 

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

I don't even watch the shows at all, but shouldn't Elias be going after Sheamus and not Jeff Hardy or is he supposed to be an idiot? Or am I the idiot and confusing angles.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

You're the idiot for expecting logic from WWE storylines or expecting WWE wrestlers to watch the product to know simple things like, who was really responsible for running Elias over.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There was a SDL episode that opened with Elias getting hit by a drunk driver who was supposedly Jeff Hardy

Turned out that Sheamus set up Hardy

(Elias was hurt so that was the angle they used to write him out)

I don't think the case was ever technically solved. Jeff just realized/assumed it had to be Sheamus who had already started trying to fuck over his life at that point. Of course even if correct, it still make Elias look kind of dumb to just believe it was Hardy.

Edited by Eivion

The summary via the WON is making me giggle because Dave speak + stupid angle = Gold

Notes from 6/5 television. This was taped on 5/26 after Raw was taped. Jeff Hardy came out first. They talked about Elias being out for a few months with a torn pec. Anyway, he said that somebody knocked him out and he was loopy but he knew he didn’t get into a crash with Elias. He said he knew he didn’t fall off the wagon and start drinking. He said the person who knocked him out poured alcohol on him, left bottles in his car and drove the car that crashed into Elias. He said that witnesses said it was a guy with red hair and a red beard. He said he went to the police station and passed every sobriety test. I know we’re supposed to have a degree of creative license but a guy who was knocked silly and suffering a concussion is going to have issues with s usual sobriety test. And if witnesses saw a guy leaving the car and he had red hair and a red beard, how come Sheamus still hasn’t been arrested? He said how Sheamus tried to take everything away from him and he won’t let him get away with it. Sheamus came out and said that all the fans are enablers for Hardy, and that Hardy’s wife and kids are used to his slip ups. Hardy then left the ring and attacked him. They fought and Sheamus brogue kicked him. There’s nothing worse for a babyface to start a fair fight and get his ass kicked. The whole deal is that if the babyface is looking for revenge, the heel needs to do something dirty to him, whether it’s attacking him from behind or doing something heinous, especially with the modern crowd where the end justifies the means. Granted, because Hardy has a unique appeal, Sheamus won’t be the babyface coming out of it, but this type of thing does lead to the heel becoming the face, given he was the one attacked first but he won the fight. Sheamus threw Hardy into the plexiglass.

• Like 1

Really, now they've established that no title is tied to a brand, it's pretty stupid to call them the Raw and Smackdown titles. It's also a much worse idea than having one set of tag titles that can travel between brands to keep feuds fresh without needing regular drafts, but we can't expect too much. They obviously need two of every type of title or those lucrative house show dollars will dry right up.

Yikes. I can admit when I am wrong and I was way off. They didn't do the same old drop the belt deal, but what they did was farrrrrr far far worse. Jesus. For a company that really pushes title reign numbers, and lengths of reigns, that's such a strange booking choice. And lazy. I think beyond the normal gripes my main issue with current day WWE is the lack of structure. It's all about moments and ADHD randomness with no logic. Why would Raw only draft 2 of the 3 New Day with one pick when they could get all 3?? Why would Raw select a set of champions and just be okay with the title they selected being given back to the other guys?? Nothing makes sense. There's no internal logic or structure to anything. Why are Women's tag champs tri brand belts and the Men's aren't? Maybe I'm too OCD and that's clouding my opinion or something. But all I'm asking for is a little logic & structure.

Annoying OCD fantasy booking / brand realigning in spoilers because no one probably cares lol but...

Spoiler

Four separate but equal brands. Raw, Smackdown, NXT US, NXT UK. All 2 hour shows. Scrap The Cruiserweight Title because weight classes are out-dated in pro wrestling. Everyone knows the only weight class that is pushed as important is heavyweight, so make all your men's titles "heavyweight" titles. But any weight class can vie for them. Also scrap the 24/7 Title because it sucks. All women's titles have a white strap. All men's titles have a black strap.

One Men's "world champion". WWE Universal Heavyweight Champion. Works all brands.
One Women's "world champion". WWE Women's Universal Champion. Works all brands.
One Men's "world tag team champions". WWE Universal Heavyweight Tag Team Champions. Works all brands.
One Women's "world tag team champions". WWE Women's Universal Tag Team Champions. Works all brands.

One Raw Men's "midcard champion". Raw United States Heavyweight Champion. Raw brand only.
One Raw Women's "midcard champion". Raw Women's United States Champion. Raw brand only.

One Smackdown Men's "midcard champion". Smackdown Intercontinental Heavyweight Champion. Smackdown brand only.
One Smackdown Women's midcard champion. Smackdown Women's Intercontinental Champion. Smackdown brand only.

One NXT US Men's "midcard champion". NXT North American Heavyweight Champion. NXT US brand only.
One NXT US Women's "midcard champion". NXT Women's North American Champion. NXT US brand only.

One NXT UK Men's "midcard champion". NXT United Kingdom Heavyweight Champion. NXT UK brand only.
One NXT UK Women's "midcard champion". NXT Women's United Kingdom Champion. NXT UK brand only.

The big 4 PPVs all become 2 day PPVs like Wrestlemania was this year, with all 4 brands involved.

But I digress.... sigh...

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Really, now they've established that no title is tied to a brand, it's pretty stupid to call them the Raw and Smackdown titles. It's also a much worse idea than having one set of tag titles that can travel between brands to keep feuds fresh without needing regular drafts, but we can't expect too much. They obviously need two of every type of title or those lucrative house show dollars will dry right up.

Am I missing something? It's entirely possible I'm not understanding this - I just woke up so excuse me if I'm wrong or anything. The Smackdown titles are still on Smackdown, same with RAW. The lineage didn't change according to WWE, both teams forfeited their reigns and began new ones with the titles they now hold. It's not like the red belts traveled to the blue brand and vice versa, it's only the teams that switched brands. So the titles are still tied to the same brands they have been.

Except for the fact that apparently the RAW tag titles are actually the Smackdown tag titles that were created in the original draft almost TWENTY YEARS AGO (!!).

That last bit blows my mind.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Am I missing something? It's entirely possible I'm not understanding this - I just woke up so excuse me if I'm wrong or anything. The Smackdown titles are still on Smackdown, same with RAW. The lineage didn't change according to WWE, both teams forfeited their reigns and began new ones with the titles they now hold. It's not like the red belts traveled to the blue brand and vice versa, it's only the teams that switched brands. So the titles are still tied to the same brands they have been.

I was wondering how WWE make sense of the title trade for the belt histories.  

And, now that they've explained it.... I'm still wondering how they'll make sense of it.

I'm sure I'd have follow-up questions, but at this point, I'm probably just better off whacking my thumb with a hammer,

What I watched of the show seemed inoffensive until the women's battle royal.  Thought that was kinda bad.  The last four (five) women being four people you'd never expect to win a battle royal on tv kinda tipped off that something was odd.  Natalya and Lacey Evans playing a contrived game of Twister on the apron instead of actually trying to get back in or shake the other person loose was... something. 

My wife walked by during Lana's victory and wanted to know what was up with the bright pink "clown lips"  (her words, not mine).  I probably enjoyed that more than the battle royal.  

• Haha 2