DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Fun show that flew by. Hobbs/Cage was an awesome opener. FTR/Hybrid2 was solid, good to see Hybrid2 get a little shine on Dynamite for a change. Loved all the wrestler/celeb shout outs for Jericho. Dog collar match lived up to the hype, violent as expected with lots of blood. Glad to see Cody regain it. Serena is always greatness, sad she lost and got no entrance though. Fun main event, flip dive from the Original Death Dealer! I enjoyed all of it.  

Hobbs vs Cage was awesome. Even better than I expected. I’ve seen Hobbs wrestle a couple times in apw and am super happy to see him doing great here. 

That was definitely a very noticeable amount of new japan references. Great show overall. 

Edit: oh yeah, a legit lmao on silver getting put on time out and then instantly getting drop kicked to hell. So funny. 

Edited by matt925

Well, boy was I wrong!

I barely paid attention to this show since I was up for 24 hours, passed out around 6pm, and just now woke up and skimmed through the show.

Unless Cody loses it next week to Orange Cassidy, I don't know how this makes any sense. Hobbs should have won, but they've done a pretty bad job with Brian Cage so far, so ultimately I guess they needed to give him the win. ANOTHER BOLD PREDICITION THAT'LL LIKELY BE WRONG: Hobbs will eventually join Team Taz.

Tanahashi showing up was a surprise, but Meltzer said to not look into it too much. Apparently Jericho just really loves Tanahashi.

That corner clothesline from Serena Deeb to Big Swole is nasty, looked like mistimed too. But it worked! Serena is a godsend, I hope she's working with the ladies behind the scenes. But I wouldn't be mad if she just wanted to focus on her own in-ring career too.

Where the fuck is Hikaru Shida???

Jericho/Hager vs Luther/Serpentico was pretty bad but it wasn't super offensive or anything. My internet cut out at the end of the match, so my DVR stopped, so I haven't seen the MJF ending or whatever it was. When it came back on like 20 minutes later, it went immediately to the end of the episode and I saw a sea of people in the ring. I'm assuming the heels came out and celebrated Jericho's anniversary or something.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

That corner clothesline from Serena Deeb to Big Swole is nasty, looked like mistimed too. But it worked!

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. She was checking for teeth I think. 

The Jericho end had MJF bring out somebody under a sheet for his celebration, who was a clown holding a wrapped, framed photo of MJF. Jericho broke it over the clown's head, said he hated clowns, they slapped hands, and all the heels came out while a Saturday Night Live credit crawl came over the screen where every single crew member was listed as being Chris Jericho ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

en7e07dtyrr51.jpg

Hangman will attempt to strengthen his faith in God so that he may pray that he doesn't have to face Wardlow and his big muscle tits

AEW crowds, when we are back to normal, please chant "big muscle tits" at Wardlow. Thank you so much.

PS, Mr John Silver, can you work that into the next BTE somehow?

• Like 1

Kind of weird that after months of not performing on either Dynamite, or Dark, they slide Wardlow into this. Bet you he makes the finals somehow now.

Edit: AEW put up an extended version of Tana’s message. Further pushing that both companies are willing to play ball with one another.

Tana coming in to get his win back would probably make the most sense to do first.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

ANOTHER BOLD PREDICITION THAT'LL LIKELY BE WRONG: Hobbs will eventually join Team Taz.

Wouldn't surprise me. It seemed a bit odd that they had Darby come out to even the odds before Hobbs even had a chance to turn Taz down; that could be a hint of things to come.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Kind of weird that after months of not performing on either Dynamite, or Dark, they slide Wardlow into this. Bet you he makes the finals somehow now.

You have to think the finals will be Page vs Omega, surely.

I've never seen Tana speak that much English in a row. It's weird to see him say his own name dropping the syllables like they do while we tend to say it all because that's what English does to us.

The Rhodes/Lee direction is the weirdest thing I've seen on this show. So Lee physically dominates the man, to the point where he puts in zero offense then his team of to-date comical misfits show they can actually bite by demolishing the entire Rhodes faction. Ok, great. Interesting perspective on what happens when the bullied-kids at school congregate en-mass.

Fast forward an inch over a month and Rhodes comes back and within one TV appearance, with no appropriate build, takes on the man that completely & utterly physically dominated him in ... a gimmick match that thrives on physicality. And beats him? Reduces the DO to mockery, also makes the match non-sensical (if Rhodes had to beat him, it could have at least been a Rocky-type scenario where he shows great appreciation for Lee's physicality and stick-and-moves .. doesn't literally tie himself to him!).

Self aggrandising nonsense.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

One thing that isn’t clear (in a good way) is what world title match they are building for at the PPV. Hangman and Omega in the finals match, Cody has a title, doubt they run Lee, Archer, Kingston or Cage again, Jericho is likely busy with MJF....

I guess pending how next week goes an Archer rematch could be in the cards, but this is almost ripe for some kind of one-off freelancer/outsider/cross-promotional kind of thing.